What Do You Think of As GroundBreaking Today?

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

What Do You Think of As GroundBreaking Today?

Post by starving student » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:31 am

I'm just curious what people are considering groundbreaking groove oriented music methods these days.

Is it stuff like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKQRj2RT4tw

or stuff like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JUy6X9W ... re=related

or stuff like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7bqSe3f9nY

or ?..........


Khazul
Posts: 3185
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Reading, UK

Re: What Do You Think of As GroundBreaking Today?

Post by Khazul » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:15 am

starving student wrote:I'm just curious what people are considering groundbreaking groove oriented music methods these days.

Is it stuff like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKQRj2RT4tw

or stuff like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JUy6X9W ... re=related

or stuff like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7bqSe3f9nY

or ?..........
IMHO 1 and 3 are semi random shite, But greg just comes over as having a real infectious love for the music he chooses and adapts - and to give him credit - he lays down a good groove.

But ground breaking? Nope. Still if there were more folks like him in the game and I might hate hip-hop far less.
Nothing to see here - move along!

macmurphy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:21 am
Location: Emneth,Norfolk, UK

Re: What Do You Think of As GroundBreaking Today?

Post by macmurphy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:56 am

shovels.

Image

truly ground breaking.

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: What Do You Think of As GroundBreaking Today?

Post by starving student » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:00 am

music methods today are just weird to me, it's like there are so many people designing their own software to basicly create an mpc with the caveat that you have to be connected to a computer, allot of these devices I enjoy, but that they are usually labeled as groundbreaking when folks have been doing the same thing since before the sp is kinda, i dunno......... and then the other extreme of the spectrum is all these freakin touch screens,
anybody know what year it was that the emphasis shifted from making groundbreaking music to using groundbreaking tools?

oh yeah, and I'd rather be with you ableton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T62XibPMlXw

auto-lock
Posts: 555
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 8:23 pm
Location: x0,y0,z0 (AKA the center of the universe)

Re: What Do You Think of As GroundBreaking Today?

Post by auto-lock » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:21 pm


Khazul
Posts: 3185
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Reading, UK

Re: What Do You Think of As GroundBreaking Today?

Post by Khazul » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:36 pm

starving student wrote:music methods today are just weird to me, it's like there are so many people designing their own software to basicly create an mpc with the caveat that you have to be connected to a computer, allot of these devices I enjoy, but that they are usually labeled as groundbreaking when folks have been doing the same thing since before the sp is kinda, i dunno......... and then the other extreme of the spectrum is all these freakin touch screens,
anybody know what year it was that the emphasis shifted from making groundbreaking music to using groundbreaking tools?

oh yeah, and I'd rather be with you ableton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T62XibPMlXw
Connected to a computer, or *is* a computer (and MPC is a computer inside) - all the same to me, just different features and a big display can mkae some things alot more useable etc.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Machinesworking
Posts: 11122
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: What Do You Think of As GroundBreaking Today?

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:48 pm

starving student wrote:I'm just curious what people are considering groundbreaking groove oriented music methods these days.
..and I would ask that question on you. I'm at a loss lately, Venetian Snares was the last ground breaking sound I'd heard, and that was ten years ago. Hip Hop wise, I think as soon as it became established sound wise, it ceased to break ground, that's not unique to Hip Hop though.

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: What Do You Think of As GroundBreaking Today?

Post by starving student » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:22 am

Machinesworking wrote:
starving student wrote:I'm just curious what people are considering groundbreaking groove oriented music methods these days.
..and I would ask that question on you. I'm at a loss lately, Venetian Snares was the last ground breaking sound I'd heard, and that was ten years ago. Hip Hop wise, I think as soon as it became established sound wise, it ceased to break ground, that's not unique to Hip Hop though.
actually I'm starting to feel more and more of the ambient stuff and although it's not groundbreaking it makes you listen harder and and here more and more new things with-in itself, like I'll hear more rhythms and changes the deeper i listen. as far as hiphop goes to be honest so far tech wise I don't want hiphop to be groundbreaking cause I feel like the two turntables and a microphone approach just shits on everything else with impunity, I prefer hiphop to be more of a preservative than a spice in music but other forms of electronic music I just don't know where the boundries are being pushed, it just feels like that term 'geeking out' is replacing the art of really trying to find something to say musically. I'm starting to really look at old forms of music for new inspiration more and more, it's not exactly a new concept for me I've been digging hard for samples forever but it just seems like all the really groundbreaking stuff is behind us.

Recently I'd say niggy stardust was about the most groundbreaking hiphop I've heard, I really think the era of having 4 or 5 people really paying attention to the art and craft of the song would be a crazy thing to behold in this day and age of tech, like when for one record there was an arranger, composer, producer, writer, etc...

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: What Do You Think of As GroundBreaking Today?

Post by starving student » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:25 am

Khazul wrote:
starving student wrote:music methods today are just weird to me, it's like there are so many people designing their own software to basicly create an mpc with the caveat that you have to be connected to a computer, allot of these devices I enjoy, but that they are usually labeled as groundbreaking when folks have been doing the same thing since before the sp is kinda, i dunno......... and then the other extreme of the spectrum is all these freakin touch screens,
anybody know what year it was that the emphasis shifted from making groundbreaking music to using groundbreaking tools?

oh yeah, and I'd rather be with you ableton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T62XibPMlXw
Connected to a computer, or *is* a computer (and MPC is a computer inside) - all the same to me, just different features and a big display can mkae some things alot more useable etc.
yeah thats what i'm saying, I think the reason why akai hasn't upgraded there shit in a century is because there's nothing really new going on under the sun

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: What Do You Think of As GroundBreaking Today?

Post by starving student » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:27 am

that scared the shit outta me :lol:


ubermnd
Posts: 379
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:03 pm

Re: What Do You Think of As GroundBreaking Today?

Post by ubermnd » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:13 pm

worth hearing with bass. nice ambient/post dubstep soulful stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vEXpbCM ... re=related

few years old but a good example of uptempo looping stuff. their live shows are mental.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpGp-22t0lU

quite trippy one this, don't know much about them but nice production and interesting sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97KfDhJ ... r_embedded

Emissary
Posts: 2431
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:27 am

Re: What Do You Think of As GroundBreaking Today?

Post by Emissary » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:34 pm

Nothing is ground breaking today, technology has really slowed down, music tech is pretty much the same now as it was 10 years ago , a few evolutions in things i guess, but nothing ground breaking. All i see is people trying to make electronic music less electronic by making it sound like a 10 year old on vimto pills wrote it during an epi fit. Add to that the fact that the current civilisational epoch is ending and all human system are collapsing, there probably won't be any decent new music for a decade or so, and then it will either be sticks and animal hide or computers that can read your brain and make music from it. In which case everyone will just write their own music on their ipod24.

The Leveller
Posts: 452
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:20 pm

Re: What Do You Think of As GroundBreaking Today?

Post by The Leveller » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:48 pm

One day the sun will die and with it our precious planet.

What is then the point? Why bother at all?

Just die. Go on.

Die.

Post Reply