What Do You Think of As GroundBreaking Today?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.

starving student

Re: What Do You Think of As GroundBreaking Today?

Post by starving student » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:29 pm

"make me forget all that hurts me"
"but I am still thirsty"

beautiful ........if Arrested Development isn't groundbreaking then I don't know what is. huck yeah beats
Last edited by starving student on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:39 pm

ubermnd wrote:worth hearing with bass. nice ambient/post dubstep soulful stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vEXpbCM ... re=related

few years old but a good example of uptempo looping stuff. their live shows are mental.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpGp-22t0lU

quite trippy one this, don't know much about them but nice production and interesting sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97KfDhJ ... r_embedded
blake and ratatat dope shit, blake more technical than ratatat maybe but rata more groundbreaking to my taste, there's always allot of shit going on in brooklyn, must be a great place to live for a musician

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:40 pm

The Leveller wrote:One day the sun will die and with it our precious planet.

What is then the point? Why bother at all?

Just die. Go on.

Die.
but even if the planet dies math won't die, and music is math so why not

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:57 pm

Loved this post Lazos thank you, cats like this should start taking on disciples like they do in old kungfu movies now that is a mofo I would pay to see.

could you imagine sitting in a starbucks on a sunny day telling woeful stories about the latency between your midi controller and your macbook while this guy is sitting at the next table over sipping tea and listening to your conversation, especially if you've got the balls to mention how you just tweaked scarbee bass last night to sound just right. I'd be like uhh excuse me mr. manring I didn't see you sitting there I'll shut right the fuck up sir. :lol:

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:15 am

starving student wrote:
Loved this post Lazos thank you, cats like this should start taking on disciples like they do in old kungfu movies now that is a mofo I would pay to see.

could you imagine sitting in a starbucks on a sunny day telling woeful stories about the latency between your midi controller and your macbook while this guy is sitting at the next table over sipping tea and listening to your conversation, especially if you've got the balls to mention how you just tweaked scarbee bass last night to sound just right. I'd be like uhh excuse me mr. manring I didn't see you sitting there I'll shut right the fuck up sir. :lol:
Would he be sipping the tea though, or would he be drinking it in an entirely different, unexpected and delightful way?
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:32 am

Emissary wrote: All i see is people trying to make electronic music less electronic by making it sound like a 10 year old on vimto pills wrote it during an epi fit.

classic. i think i'm putting this up on my facebook.

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:39 pm

scutheotaku wrote:
Nice, though he's been doing that for decades.

True, but it's still groundbreaking in my book :) Pure consummate musicianship.

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:51 pm

exactly, I'm tired of thinking in terms of a timeline, tired of listening to terrible music from the future, and tired of dreaming about atari sync stability in this day and age.

hiphop is not better now than it was before
rock is not better now than it was before
electronic music sure as hell isn't better now than it was before
soul music isn't better now than it was before
musicianship isn't better now than it was before

the only thing better now than it was before is computers. (minus sync stability)

I know allot of folks think that's just generational Elvis talk, but the truth is that when Elvis first came out there was allot better music still ahead in the future, but if you can't recognize the difference between Marvin Gaye and T-Pain, Led Zepplin and Good charlotte, Slick Rick and any fuckin rapper you hear on the radio, or Esther phillips and Beyonce, and don't even get me started on electronic music...........princes first couple of albums has better electronic music on it than 80% of what's coming
out today and he's not even an electronic artist so..............

or maybe ....
I'm just an old man in a young mans body

mojofunk

Post by mojofunk » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:33 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UvYoKzz ... re=related

Hideous vid, but I was gobsmacked seeing these guys (opening for Biohazard) with their drummers and horn section . . .

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:55 pm

If I had to guess at what's ground breaking today, it's probably in the fields of installation art or performance art. Visual artists who make use of sound as a part of what their doing. As for music, Fever Ray, Pantha Du Prince & Arcade Fire made records that I personally was excited by recently, but the ground breaking stuff is probably multi media that is not widely distributed at this point. Think opera for the 21st century

Ahem... Definitely not Flying Lotus. Just my opinion, I know people love this kind of slow instrumental hip hop electronica, but it just bores the shit out of me. All this 12 bit sample rate, compression and mediocre psychedelia sounds kinda square. It's good to see people get more experimental with hip hop, but it doesn't quite go far enough. It's little too un-adventerous. Strangely, it ends up feeling like conformist, testosterone fueled flag waving. Boards of Canada w/o the subtly, composition, complexity, risk taking... Maybe that's an unfair comparison.

Anyway, no offense to anyone who likes this stuff. I'm definitely in the minority and maybe I'll like it in a couple of years. That's happened to me before where I suddenly "get" something late. It's competent music made by smart, talented people but it reminds me of what a friend used to say about most indie-rock bands, "aggressively mediocre". Just my opinion.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:08 pm

anybody human wrote:As for music, Fever Ray & Arcade Fire made records that I personally was excited by recently.
Same here: Fever Ray & Arcade Fire 'Neon Bible' are inspired works & some of the most exciting music I've heard in years. I'll add The Knife 'Silent Shout', particularly their live show/DVD 'Silent Shout: An Audio Visual Experience' The concerts by The Knife & Fever Ray were wonderful.

Brian Eno's 'Another Day On Earth' is also extraordinarily good. Though released in 2005 it still sounds very fresh to my ears.