RAM Frequences

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Goshan

RAM Frequences

Post by Goshan » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi there folks!

I'm have some question about RAM!

On my PC installing 2Gb RAM Kingston 667MHz & I want to buy another 1GB RAM, but for now in all shops all RAM minimum 800MHz!

Are 667 & 800 will be working good together?

inmazevo

Re: RAM Frequences

Post by inmazevo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:56 pm

Is this a desktop or a laptop?

These guys, if you're in the states, have 667 memory for desktops at least... probably for laptops too, but I didn't check.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... %205300%29

In any event, if the memory is of the same type (DDR, DDR2, etc), it'll just clock down in most cases.
However, it is generally better (if possible) to get memory that matches on all levels... latency, etc.
If you can find it.

I've mixed 800 and 667 before, though, and didn't notice anything horrible going on.

Take care,
- zevo
infinite density, zero volume

Goshan

Post by Goshan » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:41 pm

Ok I'm maybe try that way, thanks for input!

Unfortunately I'm not in the states! =)

savis

Post by savis » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:24 pm

This is indeed a useful info. I have heard of compatibility issues when both the RAMS do not match. This is pretty different.

Goshan

Post by Goshan » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:54 pm

Yep, now I'm think start stash money for 4gb 800MGz! =)

inmazevo

Post by inmazevo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:17 pm

There can be compatibility issues, particularly if the CAS latency is significantly different, or if the voltage requirements don't match.
Try to get latencies that are within 1 point of each other, and voltages that are identical, and you should be good.

I wouldn't recommend mixing memory with 2.1v with memory that's 1.8v, but then again, some memory lists a range (1.8v - 2.0v).

Like all things computer, there aren't guarantees.

The best-case is to get memory that matches on all the major counts: 667 @ 5-5-5-15 with 2v, should be matched with either exactly that, or 800 @ 5-5-5-15 with 2v (or a range that includes it).

Now, this is for non-error correcting memory (non-ECC). Meaning, server memory, which tends to be ECC, is more picky.
My Mac Pro at work didn't like having mixed memory, even within the ranges I listed above... at all. Just ignored it.
With that machine, we loaded it with identical memory from the same manufacturer, purchased at the same time, in order to guarantee it would see all of it, and it works fine now.

An interesting side-note about consumer memory:
Buying a G-Skill (or any other brand, almost) set, and then buying the "same" set some time later (say, a year or more) might actually give you completely different chips (and hence, possibly very different memory). Many (most) memory brands actually buy the chips from "real" chip makers (samsung, etc.), and look for the best business deals, which can change over time.

Take care,
- zevo
infinite density, zero volume