Hey...is Reason still "da Shiznit" as an AL companion tool?

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
Styles Bitchly

Hey...is Reason still "da Shiznit" as an AL companion tool?

Post by Styles Bitchly » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:22 pm

Well.....?

aisling

Re: Hey...is Reason still "da Shiznit" as an AL companion tool?

Post by aisling » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:38 pm

I have been a reason jockey since ver 1. I am on ver 5. You are going to hear a lot of haters out there, and many of their arguments are totally valid. But at the end of the day, the stability is awesome, the ability to get massive track counts going with little cpu hit, and the ease of getting ideas into fruition, make reason my go to sketch pad when starting to tinker with a new idea.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

smutek

Post by smutek » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:42 am

Any true pro will tell you, it's not the tool, it's how you use it and some tools are better than others and while you can certainly do a job with a cheap tool why would you want to but whose to say it's cheap unless you think it is in which case you have to decide.

smutek

Post by smutek » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:45 am

Fat Boy's didn't have any of that shiz.

brrrrrrrt stick 'em, ha ha ha stick 'em....

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:12 am

I like it enough. I dont use it anymore but for the need of a particular routing you cant achieve in other softwares... par non.
Because Whatever.

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:52 am

smutek wrote:Any true pro will tell you, it's not the tool, it's how you use it and some tools are better than others and while you can certainly do a job with a cheap tool why would you want to but whose to say it's cheap unless you think it is in which case you have to decide.
Uhmmm....what? :|

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:47 am

I think Reason 5 has come a long way and there are some things that are really impressive about it.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:17 am

It's a wonderful program. I love creating big racks of samplers and combinators and fx and then just Re-wiring everything into channels in Live (dead simple to do, and then you can treat each channel just like any other plugin instrument channel). With a Live + Reason combination you'd hardly need many other instrument plugs (but, like me, you'd probably have them anyway).

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:17 pm

I like it. It is stable as can be and like stated before you can get a pretty serious track count going without breaking a sweat. I pretty much work within reason and will dump tracks and samples into live for arranging and additional recording.

What are the "valid" points of Reason haters these days?

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:13 pm

dhilsabeck wrote:I like it. It is stable as can be and like stated before you can get a pretty serious track count going without breaking a sweat. I pretty much work within reason and will dump tracks and samples into live for arranging and additional recording.

What are the "valid" points of Reason haters these days?
The "valid" points of Reason haters seem to be ongoing moaning about lack of VSTi support and all of the other usual rubbish. I just bought Reason last week, so I'm still checking it out, but as a guitarist, I love the rack and cabling metaphor so far.

justchris86

Post by justchris86 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:01 pm

I was always a reason guy until i got A.L. I can see them going really good together. better anything else out there
"Do not quote or read this text"

https://soundcloud.com/modernmaestros

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:47 pm

VST support would be sweet but then they'd probably be opening a can of worms in terms of stability and cpu hogging, cornerstones for Reason's reputation. Personally I'd rather them keep the code tight and let the host applications deal with vst integration... :x

But there are the proverbial workarounds aren't there?

aisling

Post by aisling » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:24 pm

dhilsabeck wrote:VST support would be sweet but then they'd probably be opening a can of worms in terms of stability and cpu hogging, cornerstones for Reason's reputation. Personally I'd rather them keep the code tight and let the host applications deal with vst integration... :x

But there are the proverbial workarounds aren't there?
Considering you can route any track out of reason, it is easy to use the host program for vst/au, and I don't miss vst/au support. My style of work is that I create my sonic sound scape in reason, and when it is time to layer organic instrumentation, A.L get's brought into the equation. Sometimes I dump track by track, sometimes I dump a subgroup into A.L.
I am also not at the cutting edge computer power wise, running 4 year old machines.....I like the ability to stay creative and productive without noticeable processor issues.....
Although, the last few tracks I have done, I have only used floor pedals for efx (minus reason filter sweeps), and maybe some eq in live...just to mix it up
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

aizo

Post by aizo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:18 am

Reason was the first music program that I used. I used to make the most amazing songs on it (well to me). I thought it was limited (ver. 2.0) but I did the best I could with it. I have ver 5 now and I just love KONG + SCREAM! Scream is still my favorite distortion plug. I tried Record but I thought it was too cramped and I love Live so much.
ImageImage

dokx

Post by dokx » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:05 am

dhilsabeck wrote: What are the "valid" points of Reason haters these days?
All this cable routing takes quite some time and gets messy very quick (for example compare sidechaining in Reason vs. sidechaining in Ableton.)

Lack of audio support.

If you have lots of time at hand then Reason is a fine laboratory...I don't have time. :(

Reason was my first love though... ;)