CPU temperature range

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
abl385

CPU temperature range

Post by abl385 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:08 pm

Hey all, just a quick question..

What's the normal temperature range for the CPU?

According to iStat Pro mine is between 50 and 60°C.. Isn't that a bit high?

Thanks.

blakjesus

Re: CPU temperature range

Post by blakjesus » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:14 pm

That sounds completely normal.

CPU temperature will vary depending on the computer, but that sounds like a completely acceptable temperature for most computers.

I wouldn't really start worrying until it starts getting to about 75°ish.

Live is a very CPU-hungry application so it's normal for your computer to run at least a little warm

abl385

Post by abl385 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:33 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Yesterday it went up to 75° and that's the reason I started monitoring it in the first place. But that was while I had it on top of some tablecloth.. this raises the temperature, doesn't it?

As for the computer I have a MacBook Pro, 2 years old. Would a stand help at all? I mean the cooler the better, right?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:52 pm

50-60 is fairly normal but 75 is getting pretty damn hot.

cooler is most definitely better when it comes to CPUs and most electronics in general.

i think 50 would be your happy spot.

blakjesus

Post by blakjesus » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:50 am

I wouldn't want it to be anywhere near this but this website claims at the end that apple's and intel's official maximum running temperature of the CPU is 100° celsius:
http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/1727 ... grees.aspx

abl385

Post by abl385 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:29 am

Ok noticing that my CPU is hitting 80° even though I have it on solid ground. However I remember the surface being as hot many times in the past and I had no problems at all (nor do I have now). But what's really weird is I look at the stats a couple of moments later and the temperature is at 60°. Wonder if the program provides me with correct information.

One last thing, I often put my laptop to sleep instead of switching it off and this can last for a couple of days before I decide to shut it down. Could this be a reason for the CPU temperature going up shortly after I start working? Isn't it practically the same?

Regarding the article, bear in mind I have a 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, not an i7.

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:03 am

2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo max temps = 75c test it on the hotest day on full load. CPUZ is a popular temp monitoring app it showes you the core temps not just the overall temp. Have you got two case fans one at the front one at the back?

An i5 or an i7 is perfectly safe at 90c on full load. Intel says 100c but I like lots of margin I have mine overclocked to 75c.
Dont run an AMD at thise temps though or older Intel chips. Modern CPUS reboot your compouter as a saftey messure.

A good place to ask is in the Steam forums many gamers hang out there and ask lots of these kinds of questions.