How do you pronounce 'Dapayk' ???

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
smutek

How do you pronounce 'Dapayk' ???

Post by smutek » Mon May 02, 2011 12:08 am

Always behind the times as I am, I only just discovered, about a month ago, and recently purchased Decade one by Dapayk Solo. I also picked up Black Beauty by Dapayk and Padberg. I like it, but I'm definitely not feeling it as much as Decade One.

Decade One is a killer album, and I think the stand out track for me is probably Back To Me. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh70ZeDjFkc )

(my 9 month old son, Simon, absolutely loves this track and video. It's pretty awesome, no matter what he is doing or what kind of mood he is in, when I play this video he will stop what he's doing and just sit and watch in absolute fascination until the video is over - it's pretty cool)

I sometimes run into a problem in that the occasional person will ask me, hey - what's that your listening to.... and I have absolutely no idea how to answer because I can't pronounce the name. I've got some older singles by Dapayk but I've never been in a position where I had to actually pronounce the name...

So, how do you pronounce it? Usually I just do something like daah-py then I make a sound like I'm clearing phlegm out of my throat, "kkkkkhhhkkhh" - while trying to look serious.

Really though, I'd love to know the proper pronunciation.

Anyway, really hope all is well with all of you Ableton forum cats both old and new. The last 9 months have been a roller coaster since the baby was born and there's been not much time for anything else.

smutek

Re: How do you pronounce 'Dapayk' ???

Post by smutek » Tue May 03, 2011 10:36 pm

come on fuckers... nobody knows?

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue May 03, 2011 10:43 pm

smuuuuuutek, yay!

You pronounce it eye-pad.

:mrgreen:

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Tue May 03, 2011 11:45 pm

It's prolly pronounced the same as say Deepak Chopra or some shit.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue May 03, 2011 11:53 pm

i just say Dapayk.

Dapayk

come on say it slowly... Dapayk.

see?

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed May 04, 2011 9:45 am

From page 796 of the "Urban Survival Guide", under the chapter "Life-saving phonetics":

Dapayk [d'uh-PA-eek]. Or [d?'PA'IK]

Man, I remember getting in deep trouble once, for putting stress on the first syllable in ROXETTE.

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Wed May 04, 2011 10:20 am

It seems to me like someone saying "Deepak" in a deep-south accent.

That track though man - damn it's smooth. It's so smooth that I nearly slid off my chair.
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Wed May 04, 2011 10:49 am

Cezband wrote:deep-south
Brizzle? Or Penzance?

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Wed May 04, 2011 12:41 pm

I'm guessing you know that I meant the deep south of the USA but thanks to you I am now unable to stop hearing someone saying "Deepak" in a Bristol accent. :evil:
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed May 04, 2011 3:35 pm

I love all of you!

Duh-peek it shall be!

crofter

Post by crofter » Wed May 04, 2011 3:38 pm

I don't pronounce it, I don't even know what one is.
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Wed May 04, 2011 6:10 pm

smutek wrote:Always behind the times as I am, I only just discovered, about a month ago, and recently purchased Decade one by Dapayk Solo. I also picked up Black Beauty by Dapayk and Padberg. I like it, but I'm definitely not feeling it as much as Decade One.

Decade One is a killer album, and I think the stand out track for me is probably Back To Me. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh70ZeDjFkc )

(my 9 month old son, Simon, absolutely loves this track and video. It's pretty awesome, no matter what he is doing or what kind of mood he is in, when I play this video he will stop what he's doing and just sit and watch in absolute fascination until the video is over - it's pretty cool)

I sometimes run into a problem in that the occasional person will ask me, hey - what's that your listening to.... and I have absolutely no idea how to answer because I can't pronounce the name. I've got some older singles by Dapayk but I've never been in a position where I had to actually pronounce the name...

So, how do you pronounce it? Usually I just do something like daah-py then I make a sound like I'm clearing phlegm out of my throat, "kkkkkhhhkkhh" - while trying to look serious.

Really though, I'd love to know the proper pronunciation.

Anyway, really hope all is well with all of you Ableton forum cats both old and new. The last 9 months have been a roller coaster since the baby was born and there's been not much time for anything else.
As is evidenced by this thread, clearly the name is to complicated and controversial. I'd suggest that the dude simply change is name to something less conspicuous and easy to pronounce.....perhaps "Ron". Or "Cecil".
:|

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed May 04, 2011 6:13 pm

we don't take kindly to Ron or Cecil round here