First track on a compilation - what does it mean?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Cezband

First track on a compilation - what does it mean?

Post by Cezband » Tue May 03, 2011 11:53 am

I submitted a track for a charity electro compilation thing, and now that it's available for online download I find that the organisers have placed my song as track numero uno.

That means that I rock, right? Like, they heard my track and decided it was going to set the gold standard for the compilation?

Or maybe I'm just flexing my ego. Or, they just pulled the tracks out of a hat. Still, feels good. Plus I'm helping charity, which is always a bonerific thing to do. :D
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

The Leveller

Re: First track on a compilation - what does it mean?

Post by The Leveller » Tue May 03, 2011 12:46 pm

This is correct.

And in fact this is how Wizard first started on their long career of Christmas novelty act numero uno. Until the Slade vs Wizard wars of 1976. Now they both appear on every compilation album relating to Xmas but the question as to who comes first in the track listing remains unresolved.

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Tue May 03, 2011 1:10 pm

Of course, if Noddy Holder's wish came true and it was indeed Christmas every day then there would hopefully be enough compilations to bring that bloody conflict to an end.

I will attempt not to go power-mad with my numero-unoness.
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Tue May 03, 2011 2:02 pm

You come strong with the Holder argument. I concur.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue May 03, 2011 2:58 pm

The first track is usually the obvious best track. But actually the 11th track is the best but nobody gets that far on a compilation until 6 months later when they just leave it on play in the background and come the 11th track they go “Holy shit, how did I miss that one?!?”

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Tue May 03, 2011 3:21 pm

In my humble opinion, the very last track on the compilation is by far and away the best, especially in terms of pro-sounding production. I hope people get far enough to give it a listen. Maybe they put it there because it would be too difficult to follow :)

Another reason why I'm surprised they put my song first - it's towards the harsher and more industrial side of things, so it's weird that people's first taste is something that might scare them away. Or maybe they just wanted to hit people hard then ease back off. Arranging tracks for your own albums is hard, it must be even more of a headache doing it with a disparate group of random producers.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue May 03, 2011 4:04 pm

Well congrats...even though your song is the first track. :wink:

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Tue May 03, 2011 4:18 pm

Maybe they feel bad cause they feel it won't get many plays, so by placing it first on the album they basically force people to listen to it, guaranteeing you at least some play time before people skip ahead! :lol:

Jk jk of course :) <3
https://soundcloud.com/unearthproductions
beats me wrote:everybody around you thinks you’re a fucking idiot.

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Wed May 04, 2011 10:13 am

Hahahaha that's got to be it...nobody listens to industrial these days so they thought they'd get that bitter pill out of the way as quickly as possible :lol:

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Wed May 04, 2011 6:14 pm

i was recently track 38 on a 62 track compilation... what does that say?

apart from that it was a huge compilation? :?

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Thu May 05, 2011 8:38 am

That's a big compilation...I'm pretty sure there are entire sub-genres with less songs than that.

Rave

Post by Rave » Thu May 05, 2011 9:30 am

My track squelch is last on two compilations released on beatport haha

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Thu May 05, 2011 11:07 am

That's because most fun things end with a squelch. 8)

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu May 05, 2011 3:19 pm

So are you going to post a link to the track or what?

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Thu May 05, 2011 4:23 pm

beats me wrote:So are you going to post a link to the track or what?
Well, I whacked a link in the "Link your music" section, and it's currently half-way down with a princely 5 views (at least 2 of which were me). :lol:

Didn't want to cheekily spam the lounge with my own music links, because it looks like it's starting to happen more and more and if the usual Link Your Music types get wind of it we'll be flooded with one-time posters saying "check out dat wobble yo" making it difficult to find all the threads about iPads and strange banter that I sometimes enjoy. :)

Buuuuut seeing as you asked, the album can be enjoyed in full here without needing to spend a penny if you don't want to. Feedback always welcome, of course - I like to learn. :mrgreen: