Macs

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
grahamcracker

Macs

Post by grahamcracker » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:13 pm

I would pretty much be sold on a mac if I knew one thing. Is it easier to organize and upkeep a large media library on a mac? If so, that would be the final reason I need to buy a mac.

LoopStationZebra

Re: Macs

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:37 pm

grahamcracker wrote: Is it easier?
Of course. Everything is easier on a Mac.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

crofter

Post by crofter » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:03 pm

Not very easy on the wallet though.
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:16 pm

why would it be "easier"? aren't you the person who would create the library/folders?

are you looking for an easier way or a device that thinks for you?

nevermind, you should get a Mac right away.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:29 pm

Yes, but when you take your Mac into your local Starbucks you will attract hot women and have in INSTANT convo starter. "Hey, nice Mac. How long have you had it?"

Taking a PC anywhere will get you adoring and knowing looks from all the geeks with Star Wars t-shirts and questions like "Dude. Favorite season of Battlestar Galactica: Go."

The choice, of course, is yours.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:22 pm

^ but none of this explains how a Mac will invent a file structure for you. :?

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:33 pm

:P

The secret Magic File Structure keystroke of course. For Paying members only, though. :x

aisling

Post by aisling » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:55 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Yes, but when you take your Mac into your local Starbucks you will attract hot women and have in INSTANT convo starter. "Hey, nice Mac. How long have you had it?"

Taking a PC anywhere will get you adoring and knowing looks from all the geeks with Star Wars t-shirts and questions like "Dude. Favorite season of Battlestar Galactica: Go."

The choice, of course, is yours.

I am a mac owner, have been for a while (10+ years)....
I am not seeing the hot chick magnet thing with macs at the local Starbucks, if anything it seems like a secret gay pickup password...
The chicks are digging the Iphone at the local Starbucks in our area...and I have an android.... :?
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:52 pm

aisling wrote:if anything it seems like a secret gay pickup password...

Get 100 miles outside of SanFran in any direction and that's going to pretty much change.

:P

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:22 pm

I stuff a "Big Pappy" gherkin in the front of my trousers every time I go to Starbucks. I get more chicks than the iPhone, iPad, Macbook and Blackberry guys combined. Now, I just need to figure out how to close escrow after they've eaten the pickle.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:27 pm

^ easy, put a fish hook on some heavy line in the middle of the pickle. when it gets caught in their lip or cheek real them in... just make sure to have a net ready.

@ aisling - LSZ is right. Starbucks in Tallahassee or Cleveland won't be so androgynous. San Francisco is like a permission slip round here, but it looses its power right about the time the signs on the freeway stop telling you how many miles away it is.

mojofunk

Post by mojofunk » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:41 pm

grahamcracker wrote:I would pretty much be sold on a mac if I knew one thing. Is it easier to organize and upkeep a large media library on a mac? If so, that would be the final reason I need to buy a mac.
If you like iTunes you'll like Apple products. For hundreds of other choices, try Linux or PC.

aisling

Post by aisling » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:46 pm

Styles Bitchly wrote:I stuff a "Big Pappy" gherkin in the front of my trousers every time I go to Starbucks. I get more chicks than the iPhone, iPad, Macbook and Blackberry guys combined. Now, I just need to figure out how to close escrow after they've eaten the pickle.
I have been known to go that route, but only when wearing skin tight bike shorts...I also throw in some bad teeth/bili-bobs for the Austin Powers effect, and I grow out a few hairs for a nice greasy combover...

Thanks for the demographic check LSZ and H20nly. Is it also still cool to have a mac more than 2 years old 100+ miles away from SF?
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:13 am

aisling wrote:Thanks for the demographic check LSZ and H20nly. Is it also still cool to have a mac more than 2 years old 100+ miles away from SF?
Hmmmm... downtown or in the new cookie cutter mini-mall that makes people think their town has finally arrived?

downtown, yes, for sure.

mini-mall... it's best to have the newest one. pick up some tevo sandals or some bekenstocks while your at it and always look like this 8) never like this :?

this is okay too :lol: especially if you are on the phone, but make sure your conversation is loud so that the girl handing out the coffee can hear you over herself.

at least i think that's right, but we need LSZ to confirm. i've got the south, south/mid west, and south east on lock while LSZ has the northern touch.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:44 am

grahamcracker wrote:I would pretty much be sold on a mac if I knew one thing. Is it easier to organize and upkeep a large media library on a mac? If so, that would be the final reason I need to buy a mac.
Not sure what media you are referring to, but AudioFinder looks good for audio:
http://www.icedaudio.com/

Snapper is an alternative:
http://www.audioease.com/Pages/Snapper/snapper.html

Also, Spotlight (part of OS X) is great for finding things -rather than you going to the data, the data comes to you.

Itunes is a decent database for audio & more, but it's also available for PC.

All in all, there are probably few differences between the platforms for media organization, but maybe one has the edge over the other...