"Gender equality" gone too far?

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
beats me

Re: "Gender equality" gone too far?

Post by beats me » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:09 pm

As a white male I don’t think I’ve ever experienced affirmative action working directly against me, but also as a white male I think it’s a good thing to have a well rounded staff of different cultures and sexes. It promotes understanding, acceptance, and tolerance. So many of people’s bigotries and assumptions are based largely on what the media feeds them.

My first 3 years of high school I went to a high school that was largely white upper middle class families. My senior year I switched to a high school that represented a lot of different nationalities and economic levels. Unfortunately I was only there for half the year, but in my short time there I realized what an eye opening experience it was and mostly in a positive direction. I wished I went there for all 4 years of high school.

Still doesn’t change a damn thing though about what I think about Hip Hop listenership or attempts to erase gender and cultural identities. :x

evaodland

Post by evaodland » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:55 pm

"Don't f@ck it up!"

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:00 pm

scutheotaku wrote: Yeah, affirmative action and gender equality ARE different thing. Take a look at my post from before - I didn't say they were the same, and I didn't even steer the conversation towards the former. And the point of discussing the more "extreme" model was because I was comparing it was the more extreme version of gender equality. It makes no sense to compare a moderate version on one thing to an extreme version of another, at least not in this case...And too, don't assume that "hard" affirmative action is so conceptual and extreme - A LOT of people would really like to see this brought it.
The point again was that when you address more than one subject in an all encompassing slam on equal rights 'extremists' you're at that point not talking about a particular case, but a personal philosophy. Using 'hard' affirmative action in this case is odd, because even you admit that it hasn't really happened. You seem to be offended by the concept of affirmative action enough to bring up a theoretical hard version where it's truly awful. I would love to see this huge scary mass of people who think this, they must have some real political power if you're bringing it up right?

Also, you haven't had anybody challenge your views on this subject in this thread but me, and you're on this tangent about scolding me? to the point of calling me an ass after I apologized for my tone. You figure that out.

So Solid Poo

Post by So Solid Poo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:56 pm

REVERSE COWGIRL NIGGA, NOT REVERSE COWPERSON

SHEEEEEEEEIT

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:53 am

This is classic forum debate protocol I've missed for quite some time on here where the debate goes from the actual topic to debating how people are presenting it/themselves.

WIN!

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:02 am

beats me wrote:WIN!

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:15 am

scutheotaku wrote:For the last time, here's what I said - this extreme style of gender "equality" is a parallel with the very extreme concept of "hard" affirmative action, and both concepts tend to be the result of extreme liberalism and the heavily biased minds of extreme gender/race equality activists.

You tend to put words in my month and come up with assumptions (I'm offended by soft affirmative action because I bring up hard affirmative action? There's no logic there...).
Hm, you made a parallel between a single school in Sweden and a concept. So my point was/is that you're assuming that everyone else will arrive at that same conclusion, that we can now all be upset about 'extreme liberalism'. That, is exactly why I stated that it seemed like you were looking for supporters rather than looking to discuss what exactly you found wrong with the single subject of a "gender neutral" school. I accept that you're not trying to do that, but in no way is it not a valid question/assumption on my part, it wasn't meant as an attack. You took offense to that, IMO possibly because you have previous beef with me, I could be wrong, the internet is funny that way. I'm not at all acrimonious towards you, I don't think it's worth the effort to get worked up over misunderstandings on the internet.

And who said that the people who support hard affirmative action are a big scary group of people? Not me. In no way have I employed or even suggested scare tactics or anything similar. But of course, you are once again making assumptions about me based on nothing but your own (seemingly jaded) views on people...

Also, I never made any all-encompassing statement about ANYBODY. Please correct me if I'm wrong, because it was almost certainly a typo if so.

Oh, and if I was avoiding a challenge, I would have just ignored your post all together. No one else really cared about your little rant so it gave me no points by even responding to it.
He, you've made quite a few all encompassing statements about me in this thread alone and in the above quoted lines. Why all the ad homonym attacks? How is that not making all encompassing statements?
Plus this:
.And too, don't assume that "hard" affirmative action is so conceptual and extreme - A LOT of people would really like to see this brought it.
How is that not trying to paint hard affirmative action people as a big scary group that actually exist etc. ?
So, here's the deal - quit playing your word games and just state your opinions. Right now you/we are discussing this at the level of a playground argument, let's take this up to at least a high school debate club dialogue. You know, no insults, no sarcasm, etc...
No word games here. Don't know what or why you're reading so much into it, except that your opinion on this is from my perspective simply to attack the extreme left. I could be wrong or course, but so far it's been more about me and you than the subject as beats me pointed out, which is quite frankly not that interesting. I agree that we should chill on the personal attacks, but don't read a hard affront to your (percieved) ideology as a personal attack. I actually am quite happy that someone is interested in politics here, so go on with your bad self. :twisted:

What exactly do you want me to say about the subject that would clear it up for you? I've stated implicitly what I think about affirmative action and this school. Do I think they have a right to exist? of course, I'm definitely going to mostly error on the side of freedom over protection. I'm not as afraid of the hard left as I am the (religious) hard right. At least the hard left don't use a magic book to back up their ridiculous claims, they use guilt and self loathing of the sins of their forefathers which is MUCH easier to disclaim and laugh about. With bible thumpers you end up attacking their religion because they use it as a basis for their prejudices. Slippery stuff. I do not think that gender based decisions about war and construction toys or cars VS dolls and homemaking are genetic, so I'm not hugely offended by this school. I Simply think they do the typical extremist thing and throw the baby out with the bathwater. There's nothing IMO inherently wrong with gender roles, and conversely there's nothing wrong with teaching kids that the world isn't all black and white on the subject, it's when you demonize one or the other opinion that you get into trouble.

Also, it might be just impossible for me to post things without being read as being sarcastic. :oops: Plus sarcasm is I would guess the most consistently misread subtle underpinning to face to face conversations that exists on the interwebs, and probably that misunderstanding fuels 90% of all flame wars.... :?
Emoticons in general were supposed to help, but as you stated they make you take the poster less seriously. :|

haoqigao

Post by haoqigao » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:28 am

gender equality is bullshit, unnatural, and doesn’t level the playing field.

glenn303

Post by glenn303 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:01 am

haoqigao wrote:gender equality is bullshit, unnatural, and doesn’t level the playing field.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:06 pm

Still... Bonus points for swearing. :lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x