"Gender equality" gone too far?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
cmcpress

Re: "Gender equality" gone too far?

Post by cmcpress » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:05 pm

Aurally the word for he, she, her and it in Chinese (Ta) is the same and they still seem to have gender bias. So IMHO: Fail.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:25 pm

Godless Heathens

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:47 pm

Whatever. There are actual, real issues to worry about, let the swedes alone!

So Solid Poo

Post by So Solid Poo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:34 pm

G'Z > HOEZ

Goddard

Post by Goddard » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:50 pm

It's funny to read about that kindergarden here. There were some articles about it in the local newspaper, but nothing too controversial.
This kind of liberal attitude is common for Swedes. And it would sound like paradise if it wasn't kind of hypocrisy.
Sweden is the country that take care of lots of war and political refugees that have different origins and traditions.
The city of Södertälje took care of more refugees from Iraq and Afganistan than the whole USA (sic!).
Quite a lot of them came from radical Islam countries. It's weird that they escape from Islam's fundamentalism, but somehow they refuse to accommodate to Swedish rules and customs.
As you know, women in radical Islam have quite fucked up in general. They have no rights at all.
I don't want to generalize, because there are also some progressive Islam societies in Sweden, but unfortunately there are those radical as well.
The point is that feminists don't dare to help those poor Muslim women. They have no balls to do it ;)
Instead they focus on chasing native Swedish males to death.
That's why I find it as hypocrisy.
Swedish man in general are already very confused about their manhood.
Manhood is bad. Manhood is evil ;)
Sometimes it feels like Swedish feminists (women that love women – nothing wrong with that;)) would be only fulfilled with exterminating all white, christian, heterosexual males, saving only all gays, transsexuals and, because of lack of other solutions, all Muslims as well...
You have to know that prostitution is prohibited in Sweden. If they catch you with the hooker it's you, the male, who is quilty as charged. The hooker is free to go. No charges at all. And she keep the money as well...
I love this country, I really do.
Liberalism is OK as long as you apply it guided with the common sense.

Greetings from Södermalm!
"Machines are the weapon employed by the capitalists to quell the revolt of specialized labor" Karl Marx

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:55 pm

Meh, gender equality is bullshit, unnatural, and doesn’t level the playing field. It just tells people there’s absolutely nothing expected of them.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:16 am

@scutheotaku
You lost focus there, are you looking for people who feel exactly the same way as you do or are you looking to have a discussion about the original subject?
Too many tangents.

OK to just roll with it though, what do you think should happen with gender 'programming' awareness and leveling the playing field a bit as far as affirmative action is concerned? I'll let you know that I lived in Eugene OR for a while and there are pockets there that are a lot like this school in Sweden. In fact my sister pulled my niece from a private school that although was exceptional as far as teaching the kids also was teaching them to be ashamed of being white or too girly if they were etc. It definitely can work both ways, and my niece is 1/4 native american. :roll: One point though you seen to be missing that I can agree with a bit with all this silliness is that humans are not necessarily hard wired to be good at certain things. There are plenty of great male cooks and female electricians, but reality is all of society says female cook, male electrician. IMO these liberal schools tend to go too far though, and get into guilt tripping and espousing the exceptions like the rule is flat out wrong.

AFA affirmative action goes though, it sucks, but what the hell can you do? I've worked in Oregon California and Washington and in all three "liberal" states I've had bosses, foremen and owners of the dammed company assume I'm racist too and talk crap about blacks, asians, hispanics etc. There are places where affirmative action is the only way a non white person will get a job and it's got nothing to do with their abilities, but the simple fact that racism didn't magically disappear in the 60's because the hippies and MLK said so. Fair never applied in life in general, people get born in ghettos and trailer parks and some get born in mansions. The clincher is that as a working class white male, (even though I'm broke and basically considered trash etc. and it's still "OK" :roll: ), the simple fact is when I go and talk to a housewife in the upper middle class neighborhoods about doing some work for them, I'm very much more likely to get the job than some young "colored" person. I recognize that advantage and simply don't care that some black guy with average skills is hired by some company or another to fill a quota. There are still racial advantages in even liberal cities like Seattle, even more in the south or smaller towns in general.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:41 am

:lol: You want to talk politics, gender and racial politics at that and are put off when I say you went on a tangent? :lol:
The reason I said that is not to tick you off, but because I believe absolutely they are two different issues. Even in the sense that one has been a law and the other simply never has. Racism and Affirmative Action is a fully different subject to me than gender issues, I stand by that. Upon reading it I can see how you would think me saying that you seem to be more interested in finding people who agree with you is off putting, didn't mean it that way, but it becomes a HUGE subject when Affirmative Action is thrown in and personally my opinions about them are very different.

As far as Affirmative Action goes, I'm not sure why the extreme hypothetical model needed to be made? Basically most states are volunteer at this point with AA, no requirements, but the ones that are have never been as harsh about it as people make it out. I think it would be hard pressed to find an example where a company in a county with say 15% blacks was forced to hire more than 15% blacks, so personally I don't see much of a problem with it. Hard Affirmative Action isn't anywhere near as big of a problem for potential employees as Soft Racism, as in that sort of "deal making yuppie" way of passive aggressive hostility towards minorities etc.
Men and women are physically different, and many will say mentally different. You can say whatever you want about homosexuality and transexuality, but it's dumb and blind to think that the two genders are the same and generally "equal" in every way, and it's wrong to teach this to kids who don't know the basic physical differences to begin with.
Intellectually, emotionally, and endurance wise, yes, men and women are no different. Men are physically stronger, period. The rest is conditioning. There are primitive tribes where the women hunt and fight and the men cook and care for the kids. I would agree with the rest of your argument, but this part isn't at all what I think about it. In Fact if you really look around you'll notice that even in 'traditional' couples, like more than a few huge monsters of redneck men who would kick your ass for little reason, and are completely subservient to their wives. Even with traditionally minded people gender roles are changing or were never what they 'said' they were. Who do you think runs Sara Palin's house for example? :lol:

Now that some new age hippies want to tear it all down because they think it's inherently bad? yeah I hear you, that's stupid IMO. Again though Eugene OR and Sweden are far outnumbered by the vast swath of christian colleges and conservative institutions teaching women to be suspicious of ANY change in gender equality. They have them rabidly anti equality, the men get the final word etc. What we don't read about or get from the news agencies is reports from or about those places. We also don't get reports about all the schools that treat the subject well and decently. For instance instead of getting kids to behave in certain ways at preschool age, getting them in late grade school to question their assumptions about gender and what amount of importance we as a society should put on it. Good "liberal" schools approach it that way.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:21 am

The kind of things that boys like to do — run around and turn sticks into swords — will soon be disapproved of," [child psychologist Jay Belsky] said. "So gender neutrality at its worst is emasculating maleness.
Which is exactly the sort of attitude that makes me think these Swedes are on to something. If those boys hadn't already been bombarded with pop-cultural imagery of boys running about with swords (etc.), I don't know if they'd identify too easily with that particular staging of "boy" (they wouldn't know what a sword is, for starters). I think that what kids are encouraged/discouraged to do really matters, and running about with swords, as opposed to nursing a doll, renders active personalities; playing with Lego bricks, as opposed to nursing a doll, activates finer "motor functions". A place like Egalia may very well be the only place a child can develop without any of those biases.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:49 am

sounds like the interesting foundation for an experiment, but it's completely meaningless unless it follows them throughout their entire education.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:10 pm

Jesus Christ. It's Social Engineering at it's *finest*.

Instead of just instilling respect for the opposite sex or whatever at a young age and embrace the differences as well as similarities, let's try to Engineer something.

Europe. *sigh*

No 'him' or 'her', lol. They should just start using 'IT'.

"It won't share the ball with me."

"It won't let me play with it."

"It puts the lotion in the basket"

RonaldDumsfeld

Post by RonaldDumsfeld » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:16 pm

Some of you may be interested in an intriguing example of gender inequality I recently came across whilst visiting Cuba.

Qualifications required for almost all non manual jobs differ depending on the gender of the applicant. It's significantly easier for a male to get a job. Particularly in the professional, technical and managerial sector. You know what I mean. Careers.

The women don't like it much of course. They accept it because otherwise there would be very few male teachers, lawyers, doctors, administrators etc.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:34 pm

RonaldDumsfeld wrote:Some of you may be interested in an intriguing example of gender inequality I recently came across whilst visiting Cuba.

Qualifications required for almost all non manual jobs differ depending on the gender of the applicant. It's significantly easier for a male to get a job. Particularly in the professional, technical and managerial sector. You know what I mean. Careers.

The women don't like it much of course. They accept it because otherwise there would be very few male teachers, lawyers, doctors, administrators etc.

Wait, this in the land of the Workers Paradise where all things and all people are equal? :lol:

*shocking*

So Solid Poo

Post by So Solid Poo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:00 pm

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
LESS BE REAL YO

DEEZ NIGGAS STARTED DIS SHIT

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/toronto-parent ... 29861.html