Which is worse: Dub step or Electro?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Rave

Which is worse: Dub step or Electro?

Post by Rave » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:21 pm

I am torn :evil:

rcpunker

Re: Which is worse: Dub step or Electro?

Post by rcpunker » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:04 pm

DEEP HOUSE.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:38 am

EDM... generic names are worse than genres where every band sounds the same IMO.

I'm going to label my music, wait... here it comes! ELECTRONICA! :lol:

abl385

Post by abl385 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:04 am

Depends on what you call dubstep. I hate Skrillex's music, I love Mount Kimbie.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:54 am

Also Dubstep at one point was relevant, it's funny how over saturation can kill a genre, but only Rap beats electronic music for quick turn around style wise and that slowed way the hell down. Once a genre is set in stone and people aren't taking risks with the style anymore, it becomes stagnant,

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:51 pm

Machinesworking wrote:EDM... generic names are worse than genres where every band sounds the same IMO.

I'm going to label my music, wait... here it comes! ELECTRONICA! :lol:
I've made plenty of wobble jokes in my time but I'm kind of late to exploring dubstep. This past weekend I listened to the dubstep streaming radio station and, wow, now I know what everybody is complaining about.

To me dubstep will always be Bassnectar and from what I've heard no other artist doing dubstep puts the thought and complexity into their music that he puts into his music. Most artists that I heard doing dubstep do the bare minimum skeletal definition of dubstep and call it a day.

It would be like if there was a ton of home producers when The Prodigy's Fat of the Land came out and they simply dropped some sub frequencies over breaks loops and based on that alone said they produced big beat.

And what do we think of people who do the bare minimum?

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:05 pm

House.

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:29 pm

beats me wrote:quote]
To me dubstep will always be Bassnectar and from what I've heard no other artist doing dubstep puts the thought and complexity into their music that he puts into his music.
agreed... this is how I feel about Burial too, although he is at the other end of the dubstep spectrum. I will concede that there's a lot of shit to wade through in the genre but there are some gems as well. The same could be said for electro...
-Hamish
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

Rave

Post by Rave » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:34 pm

rcpunker wrote:DEEP HOUSE.
Comprehension is not your strong point is it? :lol:

rcpunker

Post by rcpunker » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:17 pm

Rave wrote:
rcpunker wrote:DEEP HOUSE.
Comprehension is not your strong point is it? :lol:
me no speak on english

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:37 am

scutheotaku wrote: We may not be able to agree about anything else, but at least we can kinda agree on music :D
It's not even that we don't agree, you're just sensitive and I'm a fucking robot when it comes to debate. :lol:

Seriously, I just rarely hate on music anymore, I freely admit I'm not much of a fan of House music in all it's forms, but someone will play a banging House song and I'll like it. Threre are always exceptions to the rule.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:00 am

scutheotaku wrote: Uh-oh, somebody's trying to start an argument!

j/k, j/k :D

But yeah, I agree. While I enjoy House music in general, I'm that same way with most genres (particularly any R&B-style genres).
:lol:
Love debates, hate arguments, that's a separate thread unto itself!

I totally agree about R&B most of it makes me want to vomit, but I'm a sucker for well done syncopated staccato funk, and R&B will throw that out every once in a while, making me eat serious crow. Same with Indie Rock, some mopey anorexic college kid whining about his in joke laced personal life makes me RAGE! but every once in a while they do it in a way that works.

What's even funnier is how we all have genres where we're more willing to give slack to the performers. I'm not that critical of Death Metal, if the players are talented it doesn't bother me if the music is filled with cliches and the singer is generic Cookie Monster aggro, whereas the drummer in my band is the same about hard alternative rock made by average joe dudes like the Foo Fighters. The singer is a goth chick and she gives goth/darker EBM bands huge amounts of slack. To top it off, Death Metal is not my favorite genre of music, but I respect the players probably because it's beat/rhythm oriented music with heavy emphasis on the energy level.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:02 am

No definitely on topic I think, see I cannot stand most Nu Metal bands, but I have to admit that the techno beat oriented Metal I loved that directly preceded them (Godflesh and Pitchshifter etc.) were along with groups like Faith No More, their influences, so it's impossible to write it off entirely. Let's at least agree that Emo is trash and that the groups should collectively be lined up against a wall, given a last cigarette and shot. :twisted:

Mostly what I see as interesting in Metal at this point is the brutally complex technical almost Jazz stuff, hopefully someone comes along and takes the best parts out and makes a 'real' song out of them? Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmfzWpp0hMc
The last minute of the song with maybe a break or so would be a great song. Great band, too talented and too technical for me to truly get into.

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:15 pm

Cant we just be friends.
Because Whatever.

Rave

Post by Rave » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:23 pm

Mint Invader wrote:Cant we just be friends.
We can (if you are speaking to me)

:mrgreen: