The OSX Lion Early Adopter Whiners' Depot

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
So Solid Poo

Re: The OSX Lion Early Adopter Whiners' Depot

Post by So Solid Poo » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:21 am

Inofaith

Post by Inofaith » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:51 am

I permanently deleted the app store after a week muahahahahah :twisted:

Also in the last month I've tweaked my system, disabling loads of graphic and cpu intensive processes that were running in the background. My machine works a lot smoother now and has a cooler temperature by about 10 degrees C.

And since Lion seems to be about a lot of shiny fancy new user interface stuff... and not really mention of dramatic speed improvements... I got this hunch that the OS will just be a heavier load on your system rather than making it more efficient.

I'm not upgrading, good luck to you guys who are doing it. I'm going for stability.

Rave

Post by Rave » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:00 am

beats me wrote:
Rave wrote:So have you installed it Beats?

I have it running on two machines now and have no issue but i haven't entered the world of production yet. That machine will stay untouched until all main parties are ready. Then I will see if 64 bit really is working. My other machines only have 4GB on them , my production i7 iMac has 8 GB :D
No, I haven't got it yet. But I saw that Plex just released an update for Lion to make it compatible and add new features. This might push me to update this weekend on my Mini because no Front Row put the kibosh on that idea, but now that Plex is about the only player in town they're probably making stability a big priorty because so many people who hestitated in trying Plex before or gave up after a few glitches will no longer have Front Row as a backup plan. This is a big win for Plex.
Hmmm, I say this with no malice but your credibility as an apple fan boy has disappeared. I honestly thought you would be chomping at the bit for Lion. Has Loop got it?

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:49 pm

Rave wrote:
beats me wrote:
Rave wrote:So have you installed it Beats?

I have it running on two machines now and have no issue but i haven't entered the world of production yet. That machine will stay untouched until all main parties are ready. Then I will see if 64 bit really is working. My other machines only have 4GB on them , my production i7 iMac has 8 GB :D
No, I haven't got it yet. But I saw that Plex just released an update for Lion to make it compatible and add new features. This might push me to update this weekend on my Mini because no Front Row put the kibosh on that idea, but now that Plex is about the only player in town they're probably making stability a big priorty because so many people who hestitated in trying Plex before or gave up after a few glitches will no longer have Front Row as a backup plan. This is a big win for Plex.
Hmmm, I say this with no malice but your credibility as an apple fan boy has disappeared. I honestly thought you would be chomping at the bit for Lion. Has Loop got it?
I know, right? :x

But if you look at the epic iPad thread about a third of it is us complaining about something Apple in one form or another. Even holy rollers get together to debate the meaning of the bible. They don't just sit around agreeing with it and each other for hours on end.

I just don't want to sacrifice some daily usage apps so I can get first run on some new bells and whistles. But I probably will install Lion on my Mini or Air this weekend. My main computer is already hurting enough as is right now. :x

Rave

Post by Rave » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:45 pm

To have remote chance of clawing your status back you need to get Lion on your Mac AIr ASAP. TBH there are no excuses since you have multiple machines. I have installed it on my mini (which runs plex etc) and my macbook (which runs traktor)

You owe it to yourself to put this ungodly situation right 8O

Rave

Post by Rave » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:10 pm

I have been too busy to try out the new features but here goes.

Mail is ace, you can set up multiple accounts and easily switch between and send msgs from.

Have decided to start using mission control too, tis the business set up with easy mouse switches and apps are in full screen mode.
Am monitoring ram and cpu usage and it is surprisingly light. this is a great feature for a 13inch macbook

So far so good :)

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:18 pm

Well wierdly my RME UFX (via USB) worked on a pre-release build of Lion and doesnt on the release version.
Nothing to see here - move along!

luddy

Post by luddy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:22 pm

Khazul wrote:Well wierdly my RME UFX (via USB) worked on a pre-release build of Lion and doesnt on the release version.
That's interesting; mine is working fine on the release version. What kinds of things aren't working for you?

Unless it's my imagination, audio units are loading faster under 10.7, and live sets seem to save faster too. That's with not a whole lot of testing yet, though.

-Luddy

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:50 pm

Live just doesnt see it at all. Anyway - not trying to actually use lion for audio work - just sometimes try thing to see if it works or not, then try again after a round of updates :)
Nothing to see here - move along!

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:17 pm

FFS. There's morons on Apple blogger sites asking in the comments section if they can install Lion on their PC or if they need a Mac.

The irony in that is that Macs were designed for people that stupid.

The irony in that irony is that people that stupid probably can't afford a Mac.

:x

Rave

Post by Rave » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:24 pm

Stop the talk Beats, get Lion :P

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:27 pm

Rave wrote:Stop the talk Beats, get Lion :P
I'm at work damnit. :x

I'll probably do a late night install of Lion on my Air tonight. :P

Rave

Post by Rave » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:00 pm

Ok, this time tomorrow then . No excuses :mrgreen:

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:42 pm

i didn't care about or open this thread for a while until i caved and bought a new mini yesterday, with some expectation of downloading reaper and mixing a few tracks i've been working on but waiting until i took the plunge. now i am worried that i will have to mix in ableton on my 5 year old laptop that is a little bogged down by the tracks. oh well...
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

Rave

Post by Rave » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:58 pm

Congrats on the mini. Hope it works out for you :)