RIP Plastic MacBook

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Re: RIP Plastic MacBook

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:44 pm

Goddard wrote:
beats me wrote:
pulsoc wrote:2007 2ghz core 2 duo here. Added more ram, a bigger hard drive, upgrade to Snow Leopard. Still kicking it.

I love the way the Airs look but they are too limited with storage in terms of what I need. Thinking about getting a 13" pro and swapping the optical for a small ssd with the OS and apps. But damn the Airs are good looking.
I love my Air and they make the regular MacBooks look like unwieldy tanks, but they are limited. Mine is mainly a Traktor machine.

I predict once they come out with a 15" model and the price of SSD drives come way down the MBP's days will be numbered.
Are you gay? "Airs" are for fairies (those that wear boots...)...
Are you single? My standards just got lowered low enough to accommodate you if you’re interested.

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:41 pm

dude, don't be goddarded...........seriously :oops:

simpleton

Post by simpleton » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:46 pm

The black ones were the good ones. Better innards.
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:56 pm

nice sig ss.

and yeah beats, don't let him get his goddard sauce on you. that guy is a couple of comments away from aligning himself with the likes of Hitler, the Klan, and the architects of "a new world".

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:59 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:
beats me wrote:It's the smallish drive if you're talking audio software with plugs, sample libraries, and high quality audio output.
But that's why you get the Thunderbolt display and put that stuff in a regular old FW800 drive and plug it into the display.

But yeah, unless you're planning on bringing the Air with you in a backpack everywhere you go, it really doesn't make sense for audio. Since you're working in such a way that you're anchored to the 27" display, you can't really do mobile stuff. A quad-core MBP makes a lot more sense.

But I'm the type who would want to bring the computer with me everyday, so I am slightly tempted by the MacBook Air. I'd just have to limit myself to stripped down audio and video work. But I'm not going to bite. It's awesome that the MacBook Air got a Thunderbolt port. Now we just need more dedicated Thunderbolt hardware, and a bit more muscle under the hood (500GB and 8GB RAM). Then Jobs will get yet another huge chunk of my credit card.
but see that's exactly what I was thinking, as light as it is for audio I'm doing allot with my ancient macbook right now, maybe it's cause my setup is mostly a hybrid one, I don't really use many plug-ins
I just need to run Live, maschine, and a few fx and mostly use live as a tape recorder/sampler, .... that thunderbolt monitor is lookin real good right about now, my motu souncard is firewire and I've got several hard drives I'd need to hook up and all of that seems like it would fit that monitor, then was thinking of getting the new reason soundcard or an apogee for on the go, I'm the type that would keep the Air with me everywhere I went as well.... :idea:

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 pm

it's a classic and it's a shame that they do not make a new one. I even paitned my launchpad white so it suits my macbook and my nanokontrol.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:26 pm

I could see where the MacBook AIR would be perfect for the acoustic artist doing some basic looping with a few plugs and whatnot.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

lowriderSTi

Post by lowriderSTi » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:28 pm

Probably Steve Jobs knows what he's doing...maybe he's thinking about bringing back the plastic one...who knows.

aizo

Post by aizo » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:04 am

What 12 year old was alive when Nintendo was out?
ImageImage

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:42 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:What's all this smack talk about the white MacBook. Do you realize how many of those fuckers they sold? It was a huge hit.

Why?

Reasonably priced. Sexy. Rock solid performance. Glowing white logo.

Let's have no more of this trash talk.

I liked mine, but the fucker sure got filthy pretty quick. I like my new one much more. ;-)

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:04 pm

Well, after my MBP's trackpad has taken a shit and me lying to myself for many years that my main computer needs to be portable, I'm going to get a 27" iMac. You get so much more bang for your buck between the low spec 27" iMac and the high spec. 15" MBP (without customizing either).

2.7 GHz instead of 2.2 GHz
1T drive instead of 750G
12 more inches of screen real estate
4 USB ports instead of 2
2 thunderbolt ports instead of 1
And it's $500 cheaper

I already have an iPhone, iPad, and Air. Why do I need another portable device? Answer: I don't. :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:16 pm

beats me wrote:portable

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:10 pm

pepezabala wrote:it's a classic and it's a shame that they do not make a new one. I even paitned my launchpad white so it suits my macbook and my nanokontrol.
Yeah Pepz and .Forge 4.1, this thread is for you. The plastic MacBook really helped Ableton. Back in the dark ages the PC vs. Mac rants were far worse, and the thing that sucked most about it was that PCs really were more powerful and whatnot.

By the time the plastic MacBook came about and got really popular, all of that nonsense calmed down a lot more. The war was over in a lot of ways. More people were making music with their computer and generally had enough horsepower and I/O to do what they wanted to do.

How many more FireWire interfaces do you think were sold because of the old plastic MacBooks? The somewhat vast pro audio landscape we have today was greatly impacted by that little plastic affordable computer.

It's a bummer that it's gone, but what needs to happen now is that pro audio manufacturers need to adopt Thunderbolt, and try to hit that magic $299 price point. I'm looking at you, M-Audio. Who's going to make the Thunderbolt audio/midi interface that we all need? Specs:

Thunderbolt In and Out
Two combo XLR with preamps
ADAT In and Out
S/PDIF In and Out
MIDI In, Out, Thru
4 TRS Out
4 TRS In
2 1/4" Headphone
0 latency

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:27 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:It's a bummer that it's gone, but what needs to happen now is that pro audio manufacturers need to adopt Thunderbolt, and try to hit that magic $299 price point. I'm looking at you, M-Audio.

Good God, I hope it's not M-Audio who champions thunderbolt unless you're hoping for high speed driver conflicts. :x

Rave

Post by Rave » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:49 pm

beats me wrote:Well, after my MBP's trackpad has taken a shit and me lying to myself for many years that my main computer needs to be portable, I'm going to get a 27" iMac. You get so much more bang for your buck between the low spec 27" iMac and the high spec. 15" MBP (without customizing either).

2.7 GHz instead of 2.2 GHz
1T drive instead of 750G
12 more inches of screen real estate
4 USB ports instead of 2
2 thunderbolt ports instead of 1
And it's $500 cheaper

I already have an iPhone, iPad, and Air. Why do I need another portable device? Answer: I don't. :x
I have an i7 iMac with 8GB ram , tis a great buy, just make sure you get the added cover ;)