Electronic cigarettes

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
d.reamonn

Re: Electronic cigarettes

Post by d.reamonn » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:36 pm

By the way, nicotine only addiction lasts two-three days. After that it's just the habit that's left. If you can't control your behavior for two-three days, that you really aren't much of a success as a human being. Did I just say that? Why yes, yes I did…

Addiction is for pussies.

d.reamonn

Post by d.reamonn » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:41 pm

The cost of e-cigarettes is a fraction of the cost of smoking tobacco. I live in Ireland where a 20 a day habit would cost you around 250 euro a month ($370). E-cigarrettes cost me at most 60 euro a month - that includes replacing equipment and buying the liquid.
Tax included? Don't forget that this is a very regulated market and that the prices are no way indicative of… well, anything at all really.

Here in Switzerland, the state is actually changing the law to tax e-fags as much as traditional fags. The question is how much do these bastards cost to produce. If you have any factual data that show that producing the dispensers and fluids is less advantageous to the tobacco companies than producing the leaf, I'd love to see it.

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:44 pm

trevox wrote:
beats me wrote:In my experience it is a serious commitment, a lot experimenting, and nowhere near the real thing.

IMO if you want to quit smoking then you need to just quit. Period. No substitutes. It’s like trying to stop chronically masturbating by having your hand limply shoved down your pants 24/7.
I have reduced the amount of toxins I am intaking from 4000 to 1. I have not smoked a cigarette in over a year. It is close enough to the real thing that I do not smoke any more. I am still highly addicted to nicotine, but my health has improved immeasurably. Is this not progress?

Some people have the will power to just quit, but I have been unable to quit for 20 years. Fine if you consider that pathetic - it is. But I can bet you a lot of people are in the same boat. There is no doubt that e-cigarettes are a lot less detrimental to your health than smoking. That is why I use them. I wouldn't preach to begin using one - I am just relaying my experience in using them which is positive. I don't understand why you felt the need to post here.
So basically it's just a cheaper version of the gum at a higher concentration.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

trevox

Post by trevox » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:51 pm

d.reamonn wrote:
The cost of e-cigarettes is a fraction of the cost of smoking tobacco. I live in Ireland where a 20 a day habit would cost you around 250 euro a month ($370). E-cigarrettes cost me at most 60 euro a month - that includes replacing equipment and buying the liquid.
Tax included? Don't forget that this is a very regulated market and that the prices are no way indicative of… well, anything at all really.

Here in Switzerland, the state is actually changing the law to tax e-fags as much as traditional fags. The question is how much do these bastards cost to produce. If you have any factual data that show that producing the dispensers and fluids is less advantageous to the tobacco companies than producing the leaf, I'd love to see it.
What are you talking about? Tobacco companies do not create e-cigarettes. E-cigarettes are NOT part of the tobacco industry as no tobacco is involved in the production. Do you drink coffee? Is caffeine not poisonous just like nicotine when taken in high doses? The reason I started smoking e-cigarettes was for health reasons. I don't have to provide any factual data as I feel 100% healthier than I did this time last year - they are the facts. Are you an expert on e-cigarettes? If not, well then post on a different thread as this one was created by someone who has switched to e-cig's and was looking for advice from people who use them. Not for people to come on judging what people choose to do with their life with stupid statements like "addiction is for pussies" or whatever. Trolls...

trevox

Post by trevox » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:54 pm

AceLuby wrote:
trevox wrote:
beats me wrote:In my experience it is a serious commitment, a lot experimenting, and nowhere near the real thing.

IMO if you want to quit smoking then you need to just quit. Period. No substitutes. It’s like trying to stop chronically masturbating by having your hand limply shoved down your pants 24/7.
I have reduced the amount of toxins I am intaking from 4000 to 1. I have not smoked a cigarette in over a year. It is close enough to the real thing that I do not smoke any more. I am still highly addicted to nicotine, but my health has improved immeasurably. Is this not progress?

Some people have the will power to just quit, but I have been unable to quit for 20 years. Fine if you consider that pathetic - it is. But I can bet you a lot of people are in the same boat. There is no doubt that e-cigarettes are a lot less detrimental to your health than smoking. That is why I use them. I wouldn't preach to begin using one - I am just relaying my experience in using them which is positive. I don't understand why you felt the need to post here.
Probably a lower concentration. Gum and particularly patches have very high nicotine content.

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:35 pm

trevox wrote:
AceLuby wrote:
trevox wrote:

Probably a lower concentration. Gum and particularly patches have very high nicotine content.
I know patches do due to the terrible delivery system. My guess is that the gum and these bad boys are roughly the same, but I'm too lazy to verify it.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:28 pm

e-cigarettes are not made to help people to stop smoking, that's just a new market growing on the lie that this will help.

e-cigarettes is just another way of smoking, and a good one IMHO.

I just tested it as a friend of mine opened a shop in my town, and lots of my fellows went the e-smoke route, and I really liked it so I bought one,

this is one year ago and I still e-smoke with pleasure, and I didn't quit smoking as I did'nt want to, but it's really good, no bad smell for your wife and kids, better breath, you can smoke 2-3 inspirations and then put it back in your pocket when you"re at work (in a recording session i.e.), so you don't have to get out and loose 15 minutes of work for just a cigarette, you save cash...

but no, you don't stop smoking you just swap to e-smoking, or use the 2.

I still smoke some real (or weird) cigarettes at times, but I'm now often disturbed by smell, taste, and real tobacco feels now heavy on the lungs

you don't really know what's is e-liquid, that's chemical, maybe cancerigen, as is the real tobacco with its known 1000+ toxin formula... lol

anyway the thread was indeed not for that kind of debate, neither if being addicted to something was being less than human...

but I can't help from trolling the trolls and as an addictive person I needed to say my word :lol:

UsER AdviCes :

regularly clean your smoking tip with alcohol or sterile solution
you can use the atomiser more than 1 month, in fact I use my 510's atomisers about 2-3 months
keep your liquid in a dark and fresh place for storage
you can smoke a lot without being "lung-tired" so do prefer a low nicotine concentration liquid (I find 11mg to be fine)
don't put more than 4 drops in a 510 atomiser
or always have a paper towel in your pocket
I personnaly prefer "dry smoking" with a metal tip, you don't have any textile fiber or coton stuff that can host bacteria, and, imho, a better "shoot"

buy a car-firelighter-usb adaptator when you travel
always take a second battery with you, and on travel, at least one brand new atomiser

cheers

trevox

Post by trevox » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:25 pm

supamonsta wrote:but I can't help from trolling the trolls and as an addictive person I needed to say my word :lol:
At last, a voice of sanity!! Totally agree, though I don't consider myself a smoker as I do not smoke "analog" cigarettes. I am a nicotine addict and don't make any apologies for it!!

If you're using a 510, I strongly suggest moving to a tank. It's like dripping except you only have to refill once every 3 or 4 hours of normal use!! No foam etc etc...

Inspiro Assistant

Post by Inspiro Assistant » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:43 am

What? Benefits of smoking? I don't think there is!
-Cliff

Rave

Post by Rave » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:20 am

d.reamonn wrote: Addiction is for pussies.
Giving up is for quiters.

jesQuick

Post by jesQuick » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:51 pm

First of all - Thanks for the advise, excellent with some first hand statements.

Secondly - I got the starter-kit today...
2 batteries, power supply, USB charger, cartridges and a bottle of e-liquid. All in a nice black box - with magnetic lock :)

Things are good. I haven't been smoking since noon 8) And I'm totally at ease and feeling fresh. Good start indeed.

One question though, how many times can you re-fill the cartridges (the ones with cotton/or whatever it is). It says in the manual (which are somewhat vague) that they can only be used ones!? Am I missing something or doing something wrong. I have, however, re-filled it and which doesn't seem to have caused any problems.

Steamin' greetings,

-j

trevox

Post by trevox » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:29 pm

jesQuick wrote:First of all - Thanks for the advise, excellent with some first hand statements.

Secondly - I got the starter-kit today...
2 batteries, power supply, USB charger, cartridges and a bottle of e-liquid. All in a nice black box - with magnetic lock :)

Things are good. I haven't been smoking since noon 8) And I'm totally at ease and feeling fresh. Good start indeed.

One question though, how many times can you re-fill the cartridges (the ones with cotton/or whatever it is). It says in the manual (which are somewhat vague) that they can only be used ones!? Am I missing something or doing something wrong. I have, however, re-filled it and which doesn't seem to have caused any problems.

Steamin' greetings,

-j
You can re-fill as much as you like, but eventually it will stop absorbing much liquid. This is one very good reason to start using the tank system. However, instead of buying overpriced cartridges, you can re-use the plastic part of the cartridge and fill it with "fluval". Fluval is used as a water filter in fish tanks but works great. Costs very little to buy on eBay too. Suggest you youtube this - plenty of info out there.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:13 pm

Inspired by trevox decided to give it a try. I am not addicted to nicotine, actually hate cigarettes but enjoy smoking Cuban cigars and little cigarillos, it is about taste not nicotine and I like the whole activity of smoking. Following trevor advice went for Joytech eGo with tank system. I definitely like it already, tried different samples, did my own (put some Habana Club into it). The best thing is you can just have one drag, don't smoke the whole thing, no bloody ashes and your mouth feels somehow clean. Naturally I am not comparing to some Cohiba or Punch, that is another story, I might mix 10001 flavors and will never match sophisticated finest taste of tobacco from Pinar Del Rio. That is not the point, but compared to cigarettes or some not so fine cigarillos the E smoke is pleasantly clean. I will definitely experiment and see/ feel if I need/care/want any nicotine in it, rather play, experiment with mixing flavors. Thanks travox was good idea to try it, even better to get proper product.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:33 pm

I think one of the reasons ecigs didn’t work for me is my addictive personality needs a definitive stop point. I’m done drinking when the glass is empty or there’s no more alcohol in the building. I’m done with my smoke when it’s down close to the filter. With ecigs you just never know and a true addictive personality doesn’t know what “I just need a few puffs” means.

And all these tips on how to monitor, experiment, and maintain your ecig habit and routine…meh. I can’t believe people actually enjoy that aspect of it.

trevox

Post by trevox » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:06 am

beats me wrote:I think one of the reasons ecigs didn’t work for me is my addictive personality needs a definitive stop point. I’m done drinking when the glass is empty or there’s no more alcohol in the building. I’m done with my smoke when it’s down close to the filter. With ecigs you just never know and a true addictive personality doesn’t know what “I just need a few puffs” means.

And all these tips on how to monitor, experiment, and maintain your ecig habit and routine…meh. I can’t believe people actually enjoy that aspect of it.
Fair enough. I don't have an addictive personality like you seem to have. My only addiction is nicotine and I have not been able to give up for whatever reason. And I don't spend any time monitoring or experimenting now. It took me 3 months or so to find what I liked so I wouldn't smoke any more. Now it takes a lot less effort than smoking. That was my goal and I had the patience to get there. Others won't and I accept that. Others want to smoke and that is fine too. The advice I offered was advice that would have saved me buying crap products initially, so I see no harm in passing this on to others that want it.