the topic of topics: MIDI vs AUDIO ("what is music"?)

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
9V

Re: the topic of topics: MIDI vs AUDIO ("what is music"?)

Post by 9V » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:16 pm

scutheotaku wrote: If you are referring to music theory, well there are no tonal rules in music theory.
:roll:

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:05 pm

Nice image. I guess we can be friends after all.

So if I sent you all the midi files for each track of a piece i've been working on, you could tell me if it's any good? Of course, i'll label them drums, bass, lead, etc. as you would for sheet music in 1500s italy. I'd send you the audio render, but I want you to appreciate the music not just a poor reflection of it.

9V

Post by 9V » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:45 pm

scutheotaku wrote:If you think that music theory consists of rules, then you really don't pay attention.
Why not read a book?

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:05 pm

I suggested a reasonable hyperthetical scenario, on topic and without being at all rude. But you ignored it in favour of an easy slagging off contest.

Earlier I posted a point you knew you couldn't answer and you did the same thing. Are you actually interested in discussing your "topic of topics"?

I guess not.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:19 pm

andydes wrote:I suggested a reasonable hyperthetical scenario, on topic and without being at all rude. But you ignored it in favour of an easy slagging off contest.

Earlier I posted a point you knew you couldn't answer and you did the same thing. Are you actually interested in discussing your "topic of topics"?

I guess not.
This is a repeat of what he did to the serious posts I made earlier and numerous times in the thread. He posts links and pictures and makes "jokes" because he can't answer a serious post. He's obviously a hack, a bush league armchair musicologist, and that's giving him a lot more credit than he deserves.

In light of that fact I'd like to sincerely apologize to The Lounge for my part in prolonging this trollfest by trying to debate seriously with someone who is obviously not willing or capable of being serious.
Unsound Designer

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:36 pm

That's why i've made a point of only posting when it's at the top. Never bumping. I am curious if he actually believes what he's saying though.

9V

Post by 9V » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:44 pm

sorry, but i did not expect it had to be "me against the mass"... What's your question?

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:27 am

wow, deja vu, it's the propellerheads thread that got you a temporary ban from there all over again, exact same arguments, exact same canned responses, do you ever wonder why no matter where you go, people respond to you in the same way?

9V

Post by 9V » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:50 am

because people are not used to have an animated discussion, they get upset, they think it is an aggression or something. They always talk about "troll", "flamer" etc. when they see one person "against" (?) a "majority" (...). They are afraid to be isolated... or to lose friendship... or self esteem "hey, that 9V is a loser, i don't want to be like him!" etc. Others are simply conservative, i guess, so they are upset because of my opinions. :roll: CONFORMISM, in a word...

9V

Post by 9V » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:35 am

it's my opinion, based on my social psychology studies :roll: Maybe wrong, but usually right.

Davo

Post by Davo » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:17 am

9V wrote:IMO only MIDI tracks can be considered "music" in a sequencer.
MIDI sequences are representations of music, just as a photograph might represent a person. The representation is not the thing itself. Surely this is obvious? Music can be represented in various ways, including MIDI, but these representations are not music. You ask "what is music?" and set up a forced choice of either MIDI or AUDIO (by which I presume you mean sound). I think it is neither of these. It is some sort of brain function, arising from our ability to localize sound by spectral analysis and closely linked to our language abilities.

9V

Post by 9V » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:58 pm

Davo wrote:
9V wrote:IMO only MIDI tracks can be considered "music" in a sequencer.
MIDI sequences are representations of music, just as a photograph might represent a person. The representation is not the thing itself. Surely this is obvious? Music can be represented in various ways, including MIDI, but these representations are not music. You ask "what is music?" and set up a forced choice of either MIDI or AUDIO (by which I presume you mean sound). I think it is neither of these. It is some sort of brain function, arising from our ability to localize sound by spectral analysis and closely linked to our language abilities.
MIDI is a dynamic representation of music, so it is still musical. SOUND (audio tracks) is just a static representation, so it cannot be music.

crofter

Post by crofter » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:59 pm

Oh look, the fucking record's stuck again
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

Klinikal

Post by Klinikal » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:37 pm

"The creation, performance, significance, and even the definition of music vary according to culture and social context."

So everybody is right! :lol:

9V

Post by 9V » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:43 pm

but this is the "macro" definition of music. The technical definition is less complex: notes, pauses, tonal rules (as in MIDI tracks) :roll: