the topic of topics: MIDI vs AUDIO ("what is music"?)

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
9V

Re: the topic of topics: MIDI vs AUDIO ("what is music"?)

Post by 9V » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:53 pm

H20nly wrote:i've decided to agree with him. fuck audio. i'm going to find a way to express my lyrics via MIDI.
lyrics?! 8O for lyrics you can use karaoke. I mean: .kar files

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:04 pm

no MIDI is the only true form of digital music expression. i'm going to take a class on classical Italian so that i can tap into the source of all music and then see about making an M4L device that has my voice assigned to a GM table of syllables that can be triggered from a nano kontrol with 333 banks.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

9V

Post by 9V » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:24 pm

ah, you mean voice. In this case you have to ways: (1) record your voice and put it on an audio track (sound); (2) trigger samples of your voice on a midi track (music). But acoustic elements (real instruments) and voice have nothing to do with electronic music. When I play electronic music with a sequencer, the voice (of my singer) must be REAL (i mean: she must sing). Recorded tracks of she singing are only sound, good for mastering (no more music). If you mean: "i record a rock band on a DAW" i don't consider that music, but only sound.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:26 pm

i'm going to take a class on classical Italian...with 333 banks.
You already knew 333 is compatible with Italy so it shouldn't be hard!
ImageImage

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:30 pm

9V wrote:When I play electronic music with a sequencer, the voice (of my singer) must be REAL (i mean: she must sing).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41U78QP8nBk

Max Mathews's singer wasn't real, and he's the father of computer music.

More fail from 1V.
Unsound Designer

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:49 pm

9V wrote:ah, you mean voice.
no. lyrics are not voice.
9V wrote:When I play electronic music with a sequencer, the voice (of my singer) must be REAL (i mean: she must sing).
yeah but then it's not music right?
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

9V

Post by 9V » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:50 pm

stringtapper wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41U78QP8nBk

Max Mathews's singer wasn't real, and he's the father of computer music.

More fail from 1V.
sorry, but that is terrible. It sounds like old crappy 70's videocames :mrgreen:

for "electronic music" i mean good music, not that creak haha :mrgreen:

9V

Post by 9V » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:52 pm

H20nly wrote:
yeah but then it's not music right?
it is "performance" (on stage). It must be in real time, otherwise it is just sound. For me, as a musician, not for you (the listener). Mine's a dogma for musicians, not for listeners, of course.

rote fahne

Post by rote fahne » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:05 pm

9V wrote:it is "performance" (on stage). It must be in real time, otherwise it is just sound. For me, as a musician, not for you (the listener). Mine's a dogma for musicians, not for listeners, of course.
You mean for wankers.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:05 pm

no, yours is a dogma for you. just. you.

homework assignment for the rest of your life 9V:

stop wasting your time trying to change 43,000+ Live forum user's minds and start thinking big. this theory of yours will have to get out to the masses. you're not going to change the world at this website... you need to branch out. i suggest starting here: http://www.apple.com/itunes/ if you click on the link you will see that they are obviously not drinking the kool-aid you're drinking and will need to be adjusted.

then you could go here: http://www.last.fm/
followed by here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/5174
here: http://www.pandora.com/

click on them, look at those pages. each of those sites calls it music. tsk tsk.

here are several more: http://www.google.com/search?q=music&ie ... =firefox-a

get those guys straightened out. you've done everything you can at this site. report back to us when you make some progress. just don't give up.

onward! :arrow:

rote fahne

Post by rote fahne » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:07 pm

After he has been banned here, he goes to gearslutz and tell the people that he was banned here cause he is a musician, and ableton is only for listeners.

9V

Post by 9V » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:19 pm

why should i be banned from here? 8O The only warning i received was for my opinions against some USA policies that upset some american users, which called ableton to complain about me, telling them i am a racist (?!!!), against american people (?!!!!) and a troll... The rest is your fantasy and the mods told you not to gang against one single user ("bullying"). So, since i have never broken any forum rule, i guess there is no reason for banning me, apart my libertarian ideas and my personal dogma about electronic music.

9V

Post by 9V » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:25 pm

@h20nly: all those links contain what common people call "music" that is to say recordings. For a musician (performer) that is "music recorded" not music in itself. Of course you call it "music", but in a sense of "listening to music recorded", not in a music (code) sense. As I said, maybe this is a cultural/language gap: if someone in italy switches on the mp3 player, he is not making music, just listening to "music" (an audio recording). Maybe in your culture it is "making music". For us (italy) "making music" stands for "composing" or "playing an instrument". The rest is sound.

drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:34 pm

9V wrote:For a musician (performer) that is "music recorded" not music in itself. Of course you call it "music", but in a sense of "listening to music recorded", not in a music (code) sense. As I said, maybe this is a cultural/language gap: if someone in italy switches on the mp3 player, he is not making music, just listening to "music" (an audio recording). Maybe in your culture it is "making music". For us (italy) "making music" stands for "composing" or "playing an instrument". The rest is sound.
Now he speaks for all musicians, and apparently we don't understand the difference between making music and listening to music. I think the main difference is the need for quotation marks when referring to music being played from a recording. Never forget the quotation marks.

9V

Post by 9V » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:45 pm

as i already said (see my very first post, page 1 of this thread), i am referring to music in a sequencer, and in particular to electronic music (since it is the only genre played with sequencers). Acoustic music is played with acoustic instruments, so there is no need to use a sequencer (unless you want to record it: in this case it is "music recorded", not music: something for sound engineers, mastering... not for musicians). The rest is your imagination... :roll:
Last edited by 9V on Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.