the topic of topics: MIDI vs AUDIO ("what is music"?)

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
docprosper

Re: the topic of topics: MIDI vs AUDIO ("what is music"?)

Post by docprosper » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:23 pm

an anarchist with rules... how quaint :P
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

9V

Post by 9V » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:43 pm

docprosper wrote:an anarchist with rules... how quaint :P
anarchy is order, actually. Anarchy as "chaos" is just a false definition expressed by governments. But this is not the right place to talk about politics.

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:48 pm

Where is the right place? Can you go there?
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...

9V

Post by 9V » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:00 pm

i am already there, here is for music and definition of "music" in a sequencer (for me only MIDI). For enstance, a guy in the PH forum asked: "how can I make a rock song only with MIDI tracks in reason?". And people had to admit that if you use audio tracks of real recorded electric guitar, those tracks are sound, not music.

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:25 pm

9V wrote:i am already there, here is for music and definition of "music" in a sequencer (for me only MIDI). For enstance, a guy in the PH forum asked: "how can I make a rock song only with MIDI tracks in reason?". And people had to admit that if you use audio tracks of real recorded electric guitar, those tracks are sound, not music.
You've done your level best to turn music into politics.

:arrow: I record my guitar, its music; the sound of music in the form of audio. If you think that's cheating or against real music I'm at a loss as I don't know any other way of recording my guitar work.

I don't play out either so would have to invite listeners to my house. My wife would go nuts.

Perhaps if I ditch my guitars and get the Refx Slayer plug-in, mouse in some midi notes I will return to being a real musician.

(Old forum-ers -Is that 'hide user' script still available that Neb made? May make use of it.)

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:01 pm

9V wrote:i am already there, here is for music and definition of "music" in a sequencer (for me only MIDI). For enstance, a guy in the PH forum asked: "how can I make a rock song only with MIDI tracks in reason?". And people had to admit that if you use audio tracks of real recorded electric guitar, those tracks are sound, not music.
...so your "dogma" really stems from some beef you have with Propellorheads/Reason that no one here cares about, right?

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:03 pm

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:12 pm

Hi guys - just popping in to shake my head at 55 pages of nonsense. Cheers!

:roll:

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:45 pm

...With Nebs user block script applied the thread turns into an expansive surrealist masterpiece.

I've also converted all the thread data into hexidecimal, fed it into Ocatmed on my A500 and have produced an ambient/noise/concrete/sound project.

The audio sounds great....

....though you cant really hear it.

You only think you can.

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:27 pm

Hahaha!!! Brilliant!
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:58 pm

...9V has already professed, in another (locked) thread, to having read this 10-15 times, which really drives home the point that he has no interest in a meaningful debate of any kind. Congraduations, 9V, you are defeated AND winning!!!

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:26 pm

Hi,

just dropping by to say we can't really blame 9V for the 50 pages of this thread,

I'd even like to thank him for these threads, because of the fun I can have reading him fighting to impose his point of view, quite against everyone here...

I can't help from getting back to these threads, and feeding 9V with more arguments he doesn't even really read...

I propose everyone who is really pissed by the guy should stay away (I know this is hard), and let's keep on having fun in this "debate" :D

@9V : no one really wants to see you banned, banning people is not our habit here. but you'll get really more consideration and discussion pleasure if you actually listened to what other people have to say instead of infinitely saying the same thing over and over. Trust me, lots of people in this forum, and in this present thread, are really instructed musicians and musical scientists, an if not, are at least really smart (intelligent) and interesting. If you don't see any interest into their views and keep on disregarding them, un-answering them, then you've got nothing to do here (you'll agree to the point that a forum is made to have interesting discussions).

don't think you're the only one grown up (adult) here, and the only one real musician... that's a huge mistake and, yes, insulting.

I still hope you'll read my post and take at least 1 or 2 minutes to think about it :roll:

A rivederci :wink:

9V

Post by 9V » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:57 pm

as i said, for me music is only midi in a sequencer. Not because i want to teach you what music really is, but only because for me "music" is before the sound. Alas, all the things stringtapper said to me are not enough, and the reason is clear: he always talks about two, three avant-guard musicians who tried to change the ancient rules, but without success (infact music remains what it was and has always been: notes and intervals in time). If you listen to some of those avant-guard tunes you cannot say whether they are sound or music, unless you are an expert. Common people will say for sure: "nice sounds". Even in the movies there are two different artists: one for the special effects (sound), and one for the music ("soundtrack"). As you can see, music in a movie is called "sound", too, but it is separated from sounds. Why, if they both are "music" for you? For me "soundtrack" is the music (usually tonal music) in a film, while "sound" is the way they treat voices, noises, effects, explosions, etc. It is not the same thing. The soundtrack is made by a composer (musician), the sound special effects by a sound engineer (sound). Never heard of records containing both, only the music score of a movie ("soundtrack").

(examples)
Last edited by 9V on Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:11 pm

I know what is your thesis in this thread, you can be sure everyone here gets the point you make, you clearly made it, ad nauseam.

you may just speak of "classical music" or "(whatever, this or that) musical categorisation" instead of using the word "music". If your italian word is so different in its signification, then its english translation is NOT "music". (I'm not that well educated so I don't have the right word in mind, but I'm pretty sure we can find the right word in this thread)

I just can't stand when someone says that all artists that do not follow the particular rules of european 1500-1800 musical era are simply NOT musicians... they are not "middle-europa italo-german written music" musicians, ok, but still musicians playing music.

you just simply can't wipe out all music that has been made, played, written, transmitted, inter-influenced the milleniums before and the centuries after these dates all over the planet's globe... such an opinion is dogmatic... and could be dangerous if more people went that route in other domains than music (I hope you don't have that kind of opinions in too many areas).

cheers
Last edited by supamonsta on Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.