the topic of topics: MIDI vs AUDIO ("what is music"?)

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
stringtapper
Posts: 6271
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: the topic of topics: MIDI vs AUDIO ("what is music"?)

Post by stringtapper » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:21 pm

9V wrote:Alas, all the things stringtapper said to me are not enough, and the reason is clear: he always talks about two, three avant-guard musicians who tried to change the ancient rules, but without success (infact music remains what it was and has always been: notes and intervals in time).
Simply not true. Most computer musicians coming from the "high art" tradition today compose outside of your "rules"; music that uses more than pitch, duration, and dynamics as foundational musical parameters. The fact that these composers exist today is proof alone that those composers I mentioned before (Schoenberg, Stockhausen, Ligeti, Chowning, etc.) did NOT fail and music has changed in the aftermath of their achievements. Just because it may be music that you or 99% of the masses don't listen to means absolutely nothing in the context of your argument and for you to cite popularity or even quality in support of the technical aspects of this debate is a sidestep that you have continuously used every time I punch holes in your argument.
Unsound Designer

9V
Posts: 1053
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:15 pm
Location: utopia

Re: the topic of topics: MIDI vs AUDIO ("what is music"?)

Post by 9V » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:24 pm

@supamonsta
well, you don't have to "follow" or to know those rules, actually. Everyone can create music, it is not necessary to write it. But 100% of "music", either composed by mozart or by a 5 years old kid, can be written on a score sheet (that's what musicians do: listen, for instance, to "Le Mystère Des Voix Bulgares" or to many popular, ethnic, folk songs, harmonized by musicians). It is like language and grammar: you don't have to learn to write and read... everyone can speak and understand words.

Image

supamonsta
Posts: 2621
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: The Lounge
Contact:

Re: the topic of topics: MIDI vs AUDIO ("what is music"?)

Post by supamonsta » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:38 pm

9V wrote:@supamonsta
well, you don't have to "follow" or to know those rules, actually. Everyone can create music, it is not necessary to write it.
well I'm lost now.

Do you have to follow the rules to write or play (your definition of)"music", or don't you have to follow them?
Is it necessary to write it, or not?

you seem to say both. :?

cheers

9V
Posts: 1053
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:15 pm
Location: utopia

Re: the topic of topics: MIDI vs AUDIO ("what is music"?)

Post by 9V » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:44 pm

you don't have to follow them, because they are "natural", like language. Of course there is a difference (in complexity) between a tune by chopin and a simple three chords tune made by an amateur. But it is always music! At the same time, i guess you understand the difference between a novel written by Dostojevskij and a little written composition made by a 6 years old pupil... But the "code" is the same (language). :roll: The Beatles, for instance, could not read and write music... But you can read/write their tunes on a score sheet... etc. Of course it is called "music"... because it can be read/written/edited. The rest is sound, even a child can understand the difference... not because it is a simple concept, but because it is a NATURAL human tendency (like grammar, movements, human feelings etc.).

H20nly
Posts: 15836
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: the topic of topics: MIDI vs AUDIO ("what is music"?)

Post by H20nly » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:29 pm

@ 9V (in response to your racist implications). i haven't read any posts about people down talking Italians. on the other hand, YOU have attacked every other culture by bringing up (more than once) your belief that Italians are superior to other nationalities due to some changes and omissions that YOU have made to history. i have seen plenty of jokes about that AND i've made many of them myself, no doubt. many of us have twisted those words and thrown them back at you... like the garbage they are.

those posts you made about Italians in movies... wtf do they have to do with anyone in this thread or on this forum? first off those are Italian Americans (or actors playing them) so you don't know anything about how they live in the U.S... most of those movies you listed revolve around New York and New Jersey... even if you put those two states together they hardly represent the United States, throw in Chicago while your at it and you still don't even have a handful. You think that your ignorance of the United States justifies another person's ignorance of Italy? is that some kind of twist on words... fight shit with shit?? :? you're reaching. stick with your 'only MIDI makes music' argument. HIStory doesn't suit you, neither does the role of Hollywood film critic.

:arrow:

9V
Posts: 1053
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:15 pm
Location: utopia

Re: the topic of topics: MIDI vs AUDIO ("what is music"?)

Post by 9V » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:43 pm

H20nly wrote:@ 9V (in response to your racist implications). i haven't read any posts about people down talking Italians. on the other hand, YOU have attacked every other culture by bringing up (more than once) your belief that Italians are superior to other nationalities due to some changes and omissions that YOU have made to history. i have seen plenty of jokes about that AND i've made many of them myself, no doubt. many of us have twisted those words and thrown them back at you... like the garbage they are.
8O Image

you don't know anything about how they live in the U.S...
I know something, because i have relatives in new york, san francisco, detroit and boston (there are 60.000.000 italian immigrants outside italy, i guess almost every family in italy have relatives living outside italy... :roll: )

Image
Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcgYwTnBIIQ
Last edited by 9V on Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H20nly
Posts: 15836
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: the topic of topics: MIDI vs AUDIO ("what is music"?)

Post by H20nly » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:54 pm

maybe he is b0unce/dum. that cherry picking technique is quite familiar.

all major cities. FAIL.



the puppy chasing it's tail bit is getting old.
i'm done with this thread. i'm going to listen to some pre-recorded MUSIC and get some work done.

9V
Posts: 1053
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:15 pm
Location: utopia

Re: the topic of topics: MIDI vs AUDIO ("what is music"?)

Post by 9V » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:59 pm

Of course the "major" cities. They were workers. My uncle worked for General Motors in Detroit, and so the other relatives in San Francisco were workers and waiters... :roll: Immigrants go to big cities... You don't even know what I am talking about, alas...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcgYwTnBIIQ :roll:

docprosper
Posts: 1192
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:20 am
Location: Fredericksburg, VA

Re: the topic of topics: MIDI vs AUDIO ("what is music"?)

Post by docprosper » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:27 am

You know people who live in the US? How stupendously international of you!
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

regretfullySaid
Posts: 8913
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: the topic of topics: MIDI vs AUDIO ("what is music"?)

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:37 am

Who's Bart?
ImageImage

9V
Posts: 1053
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:15 pm
Location: utopia

Re: the topic of topics: MIDI vs AUDIO ("what is music"?)

Post by 9V » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:38 pm

shadx312 wrote:Who's Bart?
this is the problem... :roll:

regretfullySaid
Posts: 8913
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: the topic of topics: MIDI vs AUDIO ("what is music"?)

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:02 pm

Yes, I am part of the problem. Actually what you didn't realize is that I'm quite capable of finding out who Nicola and Bart are in 5 seconds. It's not rocket science. I found out from a company that's become so big their name has become a verb. This went over your head. Perhaps if you weren't inside a self-centered bubble you'd start becoming familiar with the names on this board and deduce that I'm being a smart ass.

Speaking of problems, how is it that you loved to boast how you wouldn't say anything political, yet the one thing you do is post a topic with your handle and 911 in the title? Arrogant much?
ImageImage

9V
Posts: 1053
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:15 pm
Location: utopia

Re: the topic of topics: MIDI vs AUDIO ("what is music"?)

Post by 9V » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:33 pm

911 is not "political" it is history, human history. The rest is music. Am I not allowed to talk about history?! :roll: Are antiwar pacifist songs not allowed?!

regretfullySaid
Posts: 8913
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: the topic of topics: MIDI vs AUDIO ("what is music"?)

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:45 pm

American history, and tragedy, but whatever; you can't argue with slime; especially slime that likes to slip it's way around through semantics and hyperbole.
ImageImage

9V
Posts: 1053
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:15 pm
Location: utopia

Re: the topic of topics: MIDI vs AUDIO ("what is music"?)

Post by 9V » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:03 pm

sorry, but i can't talk about politics, or i will be banned at once! The 911 thread was not about america, it was about peace. The rest, as i said, is only music. For instance, 911 here is something related to 1973.

Post Reply