what is music Q & A

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
H20nly
Posts: 15850
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

what is music Q & A

Post by H20nly » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:55 pm

I have decided to start a thread and ask you what music is. If I don't like your answer I will tell you that you're wrong no matter what you say.

discuss...

abl385
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:04 pm
Location: London

Re: what is music Q & A

Post by abl385 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:58 pm

A form of self-expression. Meant to bring the balance in your life.

H20nly
Posts: 15850
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: what is music Q & A

Post by H20nly » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:00 pm

what if someone has an equilibrium issue? will they be able correct that using music?

abl385
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:04 pm
Location: London

Re: what is music Q & A

Post by abl385 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:04 pm

Don't you play music sometimes when you're sad? ..or anxious? I do and it always makes me feel better.

memes_33
Posts: 867
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 6:19 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Contact:

Re: what is music Q & A

Post by memes_33 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:10 pm

audible art
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

H20nly
Posts: 15850
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: what is music Q & A

Post by H20nly » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:11 pm

so music is a drug that is taken through the ear?

Hmmm...

what if it's MIDI?
Last edited by H20nly on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theo Void
Posts: 1022
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:00 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: what is music Q & A

Post by Theo Void » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:11 pm

Here's your answer:
Music is science
It is exact, specific; and it demands exact acoustics. A conductor's full score is a chart, a graph which indicates frequencies, intensities, volume changes, melody, and harmony all at once and with the most exact control of time.

Music is mathematical

It is rhythmically based on the subdivisions of time into fractions which must be done, not worked out on paper.

Music is a foreign language

Most of the terms are in Italian, German, or French; and the notation is certainly not English &endash; but a highly developed kind of shorthand that uses symbols to represent ideas. The semantics of music is the most complete and universal language.


Music is history

Music usually reflects the environment and times of its creations, often even the country and/or racial feeling.

Music is physical education

It requires fantastic coordination of finger, hands, arms, lip, cheek, and facial muscles, in addition to extraordinary control of the diaphragmatic back, stomach, and chest muscles, which respond instantly to the sound the ear hears and the mind interprets.

Music is all of these things, but most of all

Music is art


It allows a human being to take all these dry, technically boring (but difficult) techniques and use them to create emotion. That is one thing science cannot duplicate: humanism, feeling, emotion, call it what you will.

H20nly
Posts: 15850
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: what is music Q & A

Post by H20nly » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:19 pm

Sunsetter wrote:Music is art

It allows a human being to take all these dry, technically boring (but difficult) techniques and use them to create emotion. That is one thing science cannot duplicate: humanism, feeling, emotion, call it what you will.
crayons make art. are they musical instruments?
Sunsetter wrote:Music is physical education

It requires fantastic coordination of finger, hands, arms, lip, cheek, and facial muscles, in addition to extraordinary control of the diaphragmatic back, stomach, and chest muscles, which respond instantly to the sound the ear hears and the mind interprets.
i will let my girlfriend know this and surprise her by canceling her gym membership
Sunsetter wrote:Music is a foreign language

Most of the terms are in Italian, German, or French; and the notation is certainly not English &endash; but a highly developed kind of shorthand that uses symbols to represent ideas. The semantics of music is the most complete and universal language.
i have recently learned that there are only 3 languages... Italian, non-Italian, and English. However; English does not fall under non-Italian because it's just not good enough.
Sunsetter wrote:Music is history

Music usually reflects the environment and times of its creations, often even the country and/or racial feeling.


yes, and this is why religion and science are incorrect in interpreting the age of the Universe. the Universe was created in 1983 when MIDI was invented.
Sunsetter wrote:Music is mathematical

It is rhythmically based on the subdivisions of time into fractions which must be done, not worked out on paper.
you mean MIDI right? of course you do, you typed music.
Sunsetter wrote:Music is science
It is exact, specific; and it demands exact acoustics. A conductor's full score is a chart, a graph which indicates frequencies, intensities, volume changes, melody, and harmony all at once and with the most exact control of time.
graphs are audio we are talking about music.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: what is music Q & A

Post by beats me » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:27 pm

Music is something I throw a lot of money at but don’t spend a lot of time doing. In fact the more money I throw at it the last time I spend on it.

It used to be something that came naturally and I really enjoyed it. Now it’s a source of frustration that I still cling to in an attempt to convince myself that I’m not just like every other schmuck that walks this earth who probably is a little better off than me because they didn’t spend their definitive years toying around with music.

You should catch me on a bad day.

:x

Theo Void
Posts: 1022
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:00 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: what is music Q & A

Post by Theo Void » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:31 pm

beats me wrote:Music is something I throw a lot of money at but don’t spend a lot of time doing. In fact the more money I throw at it the last time I spend on it.

It used to be something that came naturally and I really enjoyed it. Now it’s a source of frustration that I still cling to in an attempt to convince myself that I’m not just like every other schmuck that walks this earth who probably is a little better off than me because they didn’t spend their definitive years toying around with music.

You should catch me on a bad day.

:x
WOW dude! I'm sorry you feel like that, although deep down I may feel exactly the same. Denial is my favorite defense mechanism.

Also, H2O, I forgot that only MIDI can be considered real music. Because everyone knows the best way to enjoy music is by looking at it!

abl385
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:04 pm
Location: London

Re: what is music Q & A

Post by abl385 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:36 pm

H20nly, you forgot to include 'the topic of topics' in your title. As a result, you will never reach 40 pages.

H20nly
Posts: 15850
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: what is music Q & A

Post by H20nly » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:40 pm

abl385 wrote:H20nly, you forgot to include 'the topic of topics' in your title. As a result, you will never reach 40 pages.
a gross oversight. :x
Sunsetter wrote:Because everyone knows the best way to enjoy music is by looking at it!
this is the correct answer, regardless of the question.

Q: Mr President, what is your policy on foreign spending?
A: The best way to enjoy music is by looking at it!

Theo Void
Posts: 1022
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:00 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: what is music Q & A

Post by Theo Void » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:52 pm

H20nly wrote:
abl385 wrote:H20nly, you forgot to include 'the topic of topics' in your title. As a result, you will never reach 40 pages.
a gross oversight. :x
Sunsetter wrote:Because everyone knows the best way to enjoy music is by looking at it!
this is the correct answer, regardless of the question.

Q: Mr President, what is your policy on foreign spending?
A: The best way to enjoy music is by looking at it!
It's the universal language

abl385
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:04 pm
Location: London

Re: what is music Q & A

Post by abl385 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:05 pm

scutheotaku wrote:Music does not exist. Music is, like time, merely an illusion created to keep you down. Shove pencils into your ear drums - kill the music, save the world.
Sorry I don't have my glasses with me. Could you please post this using a bigger font so I can read it too? :lol:

H20nly
Posts: 15850
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: what is music Q & A

Post by H20nly » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:08 pm

scutheotaku wrote:MIDI does not exist. MIDI is, like time, merely an illusion created to keep you down. Shove 9 volt batteries into your ear drums - kill the music, save the world.

FIXED
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Post Reply