Printers are a fucking rip off!!!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
mbird21

Printers are a fucking rip off!!!

Post by mbird21 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:51 am

Yeah buy yourself a cheap all in one printer, Epson for this example though Kodak and rest of them do the same, get it home and great nice n easy to fix up, install it on the windows 7, wow we going good.

Print out a few documents, shock horror the ink is nearly gone, so me been the naive lad i am, thinks oh ill just get ink replacements wont be a problem, come on the printer was cheap. Gets to the shop in the town and then double shock £28.50 for replacements :o , its nearly half price of the damn printer for a refill :x

So guessing this is the scam behined the cheap all in one printer machine thingy me jigs you get, fucking rip off :x

Anyway i needed to air off so rant over, but i know for sure im not only one been suckered into that on here :lol:
Alex!

sporkles

Re: Printers are a fucking rip off!!!

Post by sporkles » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:21 am

Not to mention they usually don't last even half a year before they crap out on you. I've still got an Epson, but the only thing it can still do, is scan. I think I've had three of these all-in-one things (and they all eventually end up "none-in-one"). The same thing happens to my friends' and family's printers.

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:42 am

yep, i've been through 3 of the all in one fuckers as well.

i haven't had a printer for about 3 or 4 years now after realising i didn't need one in the first place.

useless bastard things.

vicz

Post by vicz » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:05 pm

It is called the razorblade model http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freebie_marketing. Compatible cartridges can help. Or buy a laser printer.

beats me

Post by beats me » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:23 pm

The rapidly depleting ink at a high cost is an ancient issue.

The latest in printer scams is the all-in-one printer. Do you really need a box that prints/copies/scans/faxes and does it all wirelessly? I decided no. I got a cheap printer with fairly good reviews that does one thing and one thing only, prints. Problem solved.

mbird21

Post by mbird21 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:31 pm

Yeap yeap i know :/ but yes in my case i do/did need a scanner and printer in one, as i need to scan different images for uni projects and print stuff out aslo from net and word, so in my case yes i need them and aslo yes in perfect world i would do the same too but one i dont have space for scanner and printer and another i cant afford it either, so yeah they are a fuckin ughghg but there a important ughghg for me, but i think maybe there must be some kinda like copy of the epson inks you can get generic type, for cheap around, surely must be a way of getting the ink prices down, just need to look harder probably :|
Alex!

crofter

Post by crofter » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:29 pm

I bought an Epson r220 4 years ago for about £50 prints photos and onto CDs still works great I buy cheap inks for £8 a set ( 6 cartridges) couldn't be happier, they did try to sell me a £20 USB cable though.
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

mbird21

Post by mbird21 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:32 pm

Are they the original epson inks too mate? or generic? if they are generic can you point me in direction you get them from please :)?
Alex!

crofter

Post by crofter » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:41 pm

mbird21 wrote:Are they the original epson inks too mate? or generic? if they are generic can you point me in direction you get them from please :)?
Generic,
http://www.ink-1.co.uk/store/index.php? ... &cPath=3_7
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

aisling

Post by aisling » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:42 pm

I think the trend extends beyond printers in general, seems to be the latest capitalist ploy to bleed the working class.....
The refill cartridges for my razor, cheap electric toys that need batteries, automotive replacement parts.....
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

martin808

Post by martin808 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:58 pm

ASDA have their own branded ink cartridges that I use in my epson printer. They are a fraction of the price and last much longer.

mbird21

Post by mbird21 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:45 pm

crofter wrote:
mbird21 wrote:Are they the original epson inks too mate? or generic? if they are generic can you point me in direction you get them from please :)?
Generic,
http://www.ink-1.co.uk/store/index.php? ... &cPath=3_7
Cheers mate, got em 3 quaters of price :o thank you loads, honestly saved me fortune i havint got, owe you one 8)
Alex!

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:10 pm

The worst part is that if you dont use them ink will dry anyway, sooner then later. Here in Frankfurt there are plenty of "Drucker Tankstellen" (Printer petrol stations) where they fill up your cartridges for 20% of the cost of new one. I use Canon Pixma for printing demo, giveaway CDs, info material etc and since 2 years didnt buy single original Canon cartridge. After watching how they do it bought a 2 sets, black & colour ( come complete with syringes and gloves) which lasted me for a year, paid 15€ for each, save me time to go to those stations. It is easy but you definitely need gloves and be careful with the ink. Each printer model will have some kind of trick to be able to use non branded or refilled cartridges and you wont be able to see the ink levels on the computer but it all differs from model to model. The ink quality differs so it is important to ask around, the good ones will give results matching the originals. The most important, before buying new printer is to ask/find out, how easy/difficult it is to trick it into using non original/refilled cartridges.
Conclusion: you will get ripped only if you let those corporations rip you off.

mbird21

Post by mbird21 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:06 pm

and they will rip you off :lol: :lol:
Alex!

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:00 am

On scanning needs, isn't just about every visual needed on the planet covered by Google image search or your camera phone?