With Propellerhead's upgrade price ...

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
sporkles

With Propellerhead's upgrade price ...

Post by sporkles » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:17 pm

... do early Live 8 adopters deserve a "pay what yo want" upgrade price for Live 9? :D

http://www.propellerheads.se/paywhatyouwant/

#1thelark

Re: With Propellerhead's upgrade price ...

Post by #1thelark » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:39 pm

I bet their servers will crash... and almost nobody will get one for the price he/she is willing to pay... still they know how to advertise ;-)

dokx

Post by dokx » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:25 pm

This ony shows that Propellerheads know that their times are over.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:26 pm

This is for people who own Reason and Record because the bulk of the change to Reason involves more Reocrd features.

It would be like if Abes put out Live 9 and it was mostly M4L features and they offered name your own price to people who already owned both.

Let's hope that's exactly what's going to happen.

aisling

Post by aisling » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:11 pm

I am a reason jockey, and I'll be on it like "flies on shit." Thinking $25 seems fair and honorable.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:15 pm

blah. a euro maybe? five? dunno.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:41 pm

Can't see how their times would be over when they're hiring for multiple positions...
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:01 pm

$6???

Honor and fairness is relative. I fully expect the millionaires to pick up the slack.

I like this move by the Props. Pricing for the last two upgade cycles has been totally fair and borderline compassionate.

aisling

Post by aisling » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:11 pm

dhilsabeck wrote:$6???

Honor and fairness is relative. I fully expect the millionaires to pick up the slack.

I like this move by the Props. Pricing for the last two upgade cycles has been totally fair and borderline compassionate.
Honor and fairness is relative I agree. I don't have live suite. I use reason instruments to produce a fair portion of my sounds...I know there are plenty of better things out there, but I have used reason since ver 1, and was comfortable with the workflow ( I also have children that I need to support, so spending money on gear is rather a luxury for me at this stage of my life). I also experiment by running reason through stomp-boxes, outboard pedals, and all kind of "out of the box effects...." So considering that it has been a part of my workflow, I am willing to spend $25.

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

psychicfriend

Post by psychicfriend » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:25 pm

Well, whoever said "the servers will crash" seems fairly prescient.
Props just transferred my upgrade license to my account (I bought R+R after July 1st so I get a free upgrade), and you can barely get into the propellerheads.se website right now (3:30PM Sept 29 USA Pacific Time).
Probably a good day to play with my Live8 instead!!! :-)

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:48 pm

There won’t be an upgrade price for Live 9. Since they are obviously rebuilding it from the ground up you can’t argue it’s just a slight improvement of Live 8 or before. We’re all paying full price. So suck it. All of you. Some of you will be paying more than full price if you don’t watch your fucking mouth in here. :x

aisling

Post by aisling » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:34 am

psychicfriend wrote:Well, whoever said "the servers will crash" seems fairly prescient.
Props just transferred my upgrade license to my account (I bought R+R after July 1st so I get a free upgrade), and you can barely get into the propellerheads.se website right now (3:30PM Sept 29 USA Pacific Time).
Probably a good day to play with my Live8 instead!!! :-)
I am 250 megs into 3.4 gigs....should be a long night.....

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:59 am

Ewwwww...Reason. It used to be an app with a lot of promise, but with every subsequent release, they've moved further and further into obscurity because of their closed system architecture. The whole dongle thing with Record harkens back to the early days of Cubase. Thanks, but no thanks. Besides, FL Studio, Presonus One, Reaper and several other DAW apps have matured to the point of kicking Reason's ass up one side and down the other. I fully expect that Reason will cease to exist within 3 years.

parma

Post by parma » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:18 am

I'd seriously consider upgrading to 6 but that ginormous horrible console emulation is an ergonomic nightmare. All the different panels and windows you have to tab/click through to get from mixer to sequencer to rack is just a big ugly mess. Maybe it would be workable on a dual-monitor setup, but after playing with the 6 demo for an hour, going back to Live was a breath of fresh air.

I don't know who they're going after with the console stuff - I'd wager 90% of Reason users don't have any real world console experience. It's a workflow paradigm that doesn't make much sense in the digital realm, IMO. And they marketed Record as a musician-friendly, plug-and-play experience. Personally, the first time I opened it and saw that big console and mess of a routing system I couldn't fathom how they thought it was musician friendly. It seemed more tailored to old-school studio dudes.

Anyway, the "pay what you want" thing is a nice gesture.

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:16 pm

Anyone got R6 yet?