Good news: R.E.M breaking up....

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
regretfullySaid

Re: Good news: R.E.M breaking up....

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:41 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:REM was always one of those bands that I felt like I should like better... like there was something wrong with me, and I wasn't getting it. But then I'd try listening again, and I still wouldn't like them any more than I -sort of- did.
Ditto. Just seemed like a college band that got more credit than most. My Step-bro and dad really like REM and apparently the lyrics are supposed to be profound but I just found it bland. I liked some stuff, but Shiny Happy People & Everybody Hurts? W T F kill me now
ImageImage

mbird21

Post by mbird21 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:47 pm

Oh everybody hurts reminds me of funerals
Alex!

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:04 pm

eddiex wrote:
aisling wrote:
simpleton wrote:When is U2 breaking up? :roll: And Mick Jagger is in a new band and is dissing the Stones 50th anniversary.
for shits and giggles I gave that single a listen.....it is was horrific.

on the topic of breakups, metallica could also do us all a favor.
have you heard the snippet of the metallica/lou reed project....its....................god..........................awful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi15nyO3v6s 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

:lol:
still better than Load and ReLoad :lol:

aisling

Post by aisling » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:58 am

:oops: I am also not feeling janes addiction 2.0.0 (or something).....And I was a massive fan in the late 80's early 90's
Chili peppers.....washed up as well.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:07 am

the jury is still out on new janes for me.....new chili peppers is really generic without john frusciante.....although i saw a live performance of theirs recently, they are playing better than they have in a long time....and the kid they got to replace j.f., josh klingoffer is a really really good replacement.....his guitar sound is pretty crucial, i think anyhow.
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

aisling

Post by aisling » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:31 am

eddiex wrote:the jury is still out on new janes for me.....new chili peppers is really generic without john frusciante.....although i saw a live performance of theirs recently, they are playing better than they have in a long time....and the kid they got to replace j.f., josh klingoffer is a really really good replacement.....his guitar sound is pretty crucial, i think anyhow.
Yeah but he is on a leash, they don't let him play.....

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:05 am

aisling wrote:
eddiex wrote:the jury is still out on new janes for me.....new chili peppers is really generic without john frusciante.....although i saw a live performance of theirs recently, they are playing better than they have in a long time....and the kid they got to replace j.f., josh klingoffer is a really really good replacement.....his guitar sound is pretty crucial, i think anyhow.
so true....you heard any of his other stuff?
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

evaodland

Post by evaodland » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:18 pm

R.E.M. changed my life....

In the spring of 1982 I was hanging with a friend spinning some records and he put on this E.P. from a band that was gathering some buzz in college radio...

That was the first time I heard REM...Chronic Town EP...

As a young singer songwriter, guitarist I was writing tunes and playing in a band and after I heard REM I was floored that this simple clean sound was possible and for me launched a 30 year love of writing and playing indie rock music. They inspired me...

Granted I never had but a tiny amount of success but I did have fun and met gobs of great people...

REM has been on my personal playlists for many years.

Congratulations REM on a great run and making music that was the soundtrack to many of the great moments of my life.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:27 pm

I'd prefer Wild Planet
ImageImage

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:10 pm

When i think of r.e.m i think of "everybody hurts" that song is the most depressing song ever. If it was not for that horribly depressing song i think i might actually like the band. I do like their earlier stuff from the 80's but when listening to the early music its hard not to think about everybody hurts.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:22 pm

Shiny Happy People holding hams...
ImageImage

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:27 pm

I always associate that song with the b52's , I forget that R.e.m made that.. what the hell were they thinking in the 90's?
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:23 pm

Prozac was becoming mainstream.
ImageImage

aisling

Post by aisling » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:01 pm

eddiex wrote:
aisling wrote:
so true....you heard any of his other stuff?
Yes I have heard some of of his other collabs, not his fronted bands though.

smutek

Post by smutek » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:44 pm

no man, REM was good as long as you don't own anything other than Life's Rich Pageant.