Photoshop Experts

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
regretfullySaid

Re: Photoshop Experts

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:53 pm

I like the challenge of photoshopping pics with irfanview.

Anyway,

Lynda = KMart
TotalTraining = Target

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/
ImageImage

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:04 pm

After a ton of time wasted in Photoshop, I think the fundamental things to learn are:

- How layers work. The basics are easy when you think of them as cutouts that can be placed on top of each other, and deleting a selection or masking something makes that space transparent and lets what's below be visible.

- How the Pen works. Understanding that it isn't just to make solid color shapes, but that it can be used to make paths that can be turned into selections will do wonders to your workflow. It'll also help transitioning into Illustrator, which is better suited for graphic design work, unlike PS, where you can do it, but the focus is photo retouching.

- Selections. Understanding how selection works in Photoshop and figuring out different methods to select (Marquee, Pen tool in Paths mode, Select > Color Range... menu, Quick Mask Mode, etc...) and how they're useful in different situations.

- Masks and how they can be used to paint out/in only the parts that you need in your original image. Also how to turn a selection into a mask.

Everything else stems down from those, and is just a matter of searching how to use a tool when you need it. That's where all those tool centric tutorials come in handy.

Hope this helps pointing you in the right direction.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

gjm

Post by gjm » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:25 am

Lol... I just built the skeleton of my new website and it has 234 different pages so far 8O

I was toying with making custom header images for more than half of them. :|

I fell off a ladder last week and have a sweeeeet owie that has stopped me walking and getting into my studio for 5 days now. :evil:

I.am.slowly.going.mental.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

gjm

Post by gjm » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:33 am

rbmonosylabik wrote:After a ton of time wasted in Photoshop, I think the fundamental things to learn are:

- How layers work. The basics are easy when you think of them as cutouts that can be placed on top of each other, and deleting a selection or masking something makes that space transparent and lets what's below be visible.

- How the Pen works. Understanding that it isn't just to make solid color shapes, but that it can be used to make paths that can be turned into selections will do wonders to your workflow. It'll also help transitioning into Illustrator, which is better suited for graphic design work, unlike PS, where you can do it, but the focus is photo retouching.

- Selections. Understanding how selection works in Photoshop and figuring out different methods to select (Marquee, Pen tool in Paths mode, Select > Color Range... menu, Quick Mask Mode, etc...) and how they're useful in different situations.

- Masks and how they can be used to paint out/in only the parts that you need in your original image. Also how to turn a selection into a mask.

Everything else stems down from those, and is just a matter of searching how to use a tool when you need it. That's where all those tool centric tutorials come in handy.

Hope this helps pointing you in the right direction.
Great tips. I figured layers would be high on the list. I just finished watching some vids about layers that came on a DVD with the Creative Suite Box. Ironically, even though there were also Premier Pro vids on the DVD done by Adobe Senior Systems people, they were of shocking quality... I have some video's to make and Pr looks cool... :)
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

gjm

Post by gjm » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:29 am

scutheotaku wrote:What type of website is this (sorry if you mentioned this before)? With that many pages, you'll definitely be better off with a CMS of some sort.
Its a support site for my guitar and drum teaching business. The amount of pages reflect the breakdown of the curriculum over several grades. It will have audio players and video as well as downloadable .pdf's. I am using the weebly platform because of the ease of building and the ability to password protect pages and a few other features.

What is CMS?

ubermnd

Post by ubermnd » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:43 am

gjm wrote:What is CMS?
Content Management System

A program or system that allows users to update their web content without having to edit the pages directly.

jbodango

Post by jbodango » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:26 pm

Seriously suggest the You Suck at Photoshop series. No joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXeZ0s8DXZ0

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Oh man I miss that. Did he ever do more after he ended it ***SPOILER ALERT*** running from the cops? ***SPOILER ALERT***
Can't get YT here.
ImageImage

condra

Post by condra » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:49 pm

The best way to learn Photoshop and graphic design, IMO, is a mixture of personal tuition, video tutorials, books, articles, and experimentation.

You will learn more in 1 hour with good personal tuition than 5 hours with tutorial websites.

Whatever city you live in, there should be plenty of Photoshop experts out there who would consider 15 bucks an hour easy money for some personal tuition.
150 for 10 hours of 1on1 personal tuition, spread over a few days or weeks, would be money well spent if you really want to get your head around Photoshop.

gjm

Post by gjm » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:53 pm

condra wrote:The best way to learn Photoshop and graphic design, IMO, is a mixture of personal tuition, video tutorials, books, articles, and experimentation.
Your right. Its what I did with Live as well. It was good having someone come to my little music cave for an afternoon and answer questions... money well spent.

condra wrote:Whatever city you live in, there should be plenty of Photoshop experts out there who would consider 15 bucks an hour easy money for some personal tuition.
150 for 10 hours of 1on1 personal tuition, spread over a few days or weeks, would be money well spent if you really want to get your head around Photoshop.
Actually had someone here yesterday who has a digital media business and I managed to ask about learning material etc... the only thing they could offer was the Adobe learning site (which I already knew about). $15 is close to minimum wage here, $30-$40 is a better number to run with.

My website is now a few pages shy of 300. I am guessing there will be 1200-1500 images once done. Hopefully I will know my way around PS once done !!

Thanks everyone for all the pointers. :D