Hmm Looks like "The Big 4" has now become "3"

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Mint Invader

Hmm Looks like "The Big 4" has now become "3"

Post by Mint Invader » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Because Whatever.

Homebelly

Re: Hmm Looks like "The Big 4" has now become "3"

Post by Homebelly » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:16 pm

Its reveling that the article is using pictures of the Beatles.
Thats what has actually been bought, along with all of these..
Angel, Astralwerks, Blue Note, Capitol, Capitol Latin, Capitol Records Nashville, EMI Classics, EMI CMG, EMI Records, EMI Records Nashville, Manhattan, Parlophone, Virgin Classics and Virgin Records.
Expect a new wave of reissues of "classic" recordings and other licensing deals.
No big deal really though, i think most new artists and the audience they seek are more inclined to new media and web based distribution any ways.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:28 pm

Irrelevant. For me certainly.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Meh, could care less.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:43 pm

iTunes is the only label most are aware of.

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:24 pm

Homebelly wrote:Its reveling that the article is using pictures of the Beatles.
Thats what has actually been bought, along with all of these..
Angel, Astralwerks, Blue Note, Capitol, Capitol Latin, Capitol Records Nashville, EMI Classics, EMI CMG, EMI Records, EMI Records Nashville, Manhattan, Parlophone, Virgin Classics and Virgin Records.
Expect a new wave of reissues of "classic" recordings and other licensing deals.
No big deal really though, i think most new artists and the audience they seek are more inclined to new media and web based distribution any ways.
Word... thats a hell of alot of money to pay for reissues tho. I guess if they can... they will.
Because Whatever.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:09 am

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:49 am

this is something that would have mattered last century. this century no one really gives a shit about record labels.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:32 am

I think if you're following the music industry and how it's changing due to technology this is very interesting

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:45 pm

rbmonosylabik wrote:Image
I can't stop laughing at that shit. That's going to be my default email reply at work.
ImageImage

derwall

Post by derwall » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:05 pm

i worked for emi for years but got out as soon as terra firm got involved, that Guy Hands was an uber arsehole, he was trying to buy himself a cool side to his personality by taking on EMI and he managed to fuck up a great british Icon. the people i know who decided to stay on and take the shit have all lost their careers now at a time when finding a job is very hard, and they have lost there pensions to boot.

with good management EMI could have stayed the course and adapted to the changes in consumer demand.

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:47 am

That makes sense.
Because Whatever.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:11 pm

derwall wrote:i worked for emi for years but got out as soon as terra firm got involved, that Guy Hands was an uber arsehole, he was trying to buy himself a cool side to his personality by taking on EMI and he managed to fuck up a great british Icon. the people i know who decided to stay on and take the shit have all lost their careers now at a time when finding a job is very hard, and they have lost there pensions to boot.

with good management EMI could have stayed the course and adapted to the changes in consumer demand.
I did some work for EMI / VMG between '98 and '05 , or something like that. As much as I liked the people I met there it was obvious that the company was fucked from day one. As much as people working there wanted to believe in a fantasy version of EMI, the reality involved some hardcore stupidity in management. I don't mean the hands-on managers, I mean the actual owners, investor groups, people who drift from one CEO job to another.

One short example: after the whole Napster thing there was a higher-ups management conference in Brazil to educate them on the perils of mp3s to the bottom line. My advice was to provide an online retail outlet, through their "portal" as the best way forward, instead the management decided to remove every scrap of audio on every artist site to prevent piracy. That mean 30 second real-audio previews of artist works. In case kids we downloading the 30s low quality previews and "pirating" them.
I also remember the sharp practice of the owners prior to Terra Firma - freezing invoice payments to all 3rd party contractors for 12 months in order to "re-evaluate", or rather - bump up the share price through cost cutting, that was a very unpleasant year for me. to put it mildly.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:48 pm

.....and this is where Steve Jobs stepped in and saved these arseholes from themselves.

lol.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

dokx

Post by dokx » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:57 pm

beats me wrote:iTunes is the only label most are aware of.
A friend told me about another great label, I guess it was called "Rapidshare" or something..

:mrgreen: