Hating Lion and going backwards?

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
Forge.

Hating Lion and going backwards?

Post by Forge. » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:58 am

has anyone else hated Lion as much as me and gone back to Snow Leopard? Are there any implications with files not opening or things like that?

Any misadventures anyone would like to share?

I am thinking of just wiping the drive and installing SL again

I guess Time machine maybe wouldn't work?

Are there any other file types that won't work?

beats me

Re: Hating Lion and going backwards?

Post by beats me » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:05 pm

Get a PC, you pussy! :P

I kid.

What do you hate about Lion?

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

beats me wrote: What do you hate about Lion?
it's shit.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:26 pm

Have you disabled shit mode in the settings?

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:32 pm

sorry, to be specific........ erm... actually really it's shit will do.

Let me frame it another way - what do I actually like abut Lion? or what has it added that I like or needed. I really can't think of anything.

But I can think of several things that I don't like.

1. the whole philosophy of trying to make it "iOS like" - the lazy fuckers. Macs aren't iOSes.

I was perfectly happy with the finder as it was. Now it is a grey, ugly thing where it's LESS easy to see the difference between things.

2. now we have the thing I hate from the iPhone - the auto-correct. STOP FINISHING MY SENTENCES!!!!!!

3. the general weirdness. Things just keep happening that are different. We fear change. These are things that weren't broken.

4. plenty more if anyone was REALLY that interested in hearing me whinge about Lion.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:33 pm

beats me wrote:Have you disabled shit mode in the settings?
:lol:

I would love that.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:28 pm

As one who fears change, I am surprised to report I am loving Lion. The backwards scrolling, Launchpad, the thing where you can do multiple fullscreen apps and flick between them with a three finger gesture - all of it!@

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:24 pm

Disable the auto correction then. Anything else?

This OS is the most superior I've ever used. With a trackpad you just fly around the system. You can even choose to scroll either normally or iOS-like, which means you're not allowed to moan about this change at all!

And I doubt Apple are "lazy fuckers". Their OS see the biggest changes with every new version, compared to Windows, which is becoming a shell on top of a shell on top of a shell on top of Windows 95. It's like getting stabbed in the eyes when you accidentally open some sort of Windows preference panel, and it's filled with crummy dialogs coded 15 years ago.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:33 pm

Forge. wrote:1. the whole philosophy of trying to make it "iOS like" - the lazy fuckers. Macs aren't iOSes.
Except for the lazy part, I thought a little of this too before I upgraded, like why is this necessary or wondered is it going to dumb things down & sacrifice other things for ease of use. But once I got used to the new gestures, I really found it to speed things up. It's faster to navigate the system, to get windows out of the way, back in the forefront again, etc. Full screen with double or triple swipe has made things less tedious & more efficient for me. Less clicking! Try forcing yourself to get used to this instead of superimposing how you think a mac should act based on your previous experience. You might find yourself liking it more and more.
Forge. wrote:I was perfectly happy with the finder as it was. Now it is a grey, ugly thing where it's LESS easy to see the difference between things.
View -> Show Path Bar, Show Status Bar
Forge. wrote:2. now we have the thing I hate from the iPhone - the auto-correct. STOP FINISHING MY SENTENCES!!!!!!
System Prefs -> Language & Text -> Text -> uncheck "Correct spelling automatically"
Forge. wrote:3. the general weirdness. Things just keep happening that are different. We fear change. These are things that weren't broken.
The only truly weird thing I found (that was not an improvement which I could not change to my liking) was how the ~/Library is hidden. But you can go straight there quickly with the Go menu by holding down the option key.
Forge. wrote:4. plenty more if anyone was REALLY that interested in hearing me whinge about Lion.
As long as all your plugins & software is working in general, I'd recommend sticking it out for another 2 weeks & withholding judgement until then. If you still can't get used to certain things, find a way to change the preference back to how you liked it before, like the suggestions above.

interpolate

Post by interpolate » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:47 pm

Forge. wrote:sorry, to be specific........ erm... actually really it's shit will do.

Let me frame it another way - what do I actually like abut Lion? or what has it added that I like or needed. I really can't think of anything.

But I can think of several things that I don't like.

1. the whole philosophy of trying to make it "iOS like" - the lazy fuckers. Macs aren't iOSes.

I was perfectly happy with the finder as it was. Now it is a grey, ugly thing where it's LESS easy to see the difference between things.

2. now we have the thing I hate from the iPhone - the auto-correct. STOP FINISHING MY SENTENCES!!!!!!

3. the general weirdness. Things just keep happening that are different. We fear change. These are things that weren't broken.

4. plenty more if anyone was REALLY that interested in hearing me whinge about Lion.
1. The only aspect of Lion that reminds me of iOS is the dashboard, however in my installation it doesn't come up unless I ask for it, and even if I ask for it, it goes away after I launch an app. Are optional features really ruining your day?

The finder is the same, drag the things you don't like off it, and drag the folders/disks you like back onto it.

2. I haven't had a single sentence/word auto correct itself. I suppose in things like ichat it will underline a word if its spelt incorrectly, but it certainly doesn't auto anything

3. Not expecting some changes in an OS upgrade?

4. I'm not really interested to be honest, but I'm actually surprised you found the above 3 things so appalling that you are rolling back. What did you do when Windows upgraded from 95 to XP? Were you like "man these changes, I can't live with them, why does it all look different, how come they are trying to push a networking mentality on me? Why is are there drop shadows on all these windows, it looks weird?
Ableton Suite 8 & Max4Live

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:58 pm

Unless they're totally screwed where they can't open their work (or if they plan on "freezing the system in time" & not upgrading anything, which is also a valid reason), I never understood someone going through all the effort rolling back to a previous OS. I mean inevitably if you buy a faster computer, you're going to have to upgrade back to it again anyway. Or if you skip it until the OS after that comes out, most of those additions & enhancements will still be there.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:43 pm

The problem I've been having is that wi-fi is intermittently fucked on my 2008 MBP. Today it's working fine. Tomorrow the connection will drop. The next day I get signal but Safari simply won't open pages while Firefox will. :x

Never had this kind of trouble with a Mac since OS 9. Steve's corpse isn't even cold and they've already started the decline. :x

:x

Nay.

:evil:

I say.
Unsound Designer

abl385

Post by abl385 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:36 pm

Is there a finger trick to move forwards and backwards in Finder? In SL you could do it by sliding three fingers to the left or right.. but this doesn't work in 10.7. This must be what I hate the most so far.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:04 pm

abl385 wrote:Is there a finger trick to move forwards and backwards in Finder? In SL you could do it by sliding three fingers to the left or right.. but this doesn't work in 10.7. This must be what I hate the most so far.
Right, I kind of liked that too! 3 finger swipes have been changed, the default is now to swipe between full screens.

But you can still do it, just hold the option key. 8)

Or go to trackpad in system prefs, change Swipe between pages to "Swipe with two or three fingers". I don't know why but it also works without having to hold the option key down.

Who knows, there might be some other hidden goodies by holding the modifier keys down too.

abl385

Post by abl385 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:39 pm

icedsushi wrote:
abl385 wrote:Is there a finger trick to move forwards and backwards in Finder? In SL you could do it by sliding three fingers to the left or right.. but this doesn't work in 10.7. This must be what I hate the most so far.
Right, I kind of liked that too! 3 finger swipes have been changed, the default is now to swipe between full screens.

But you can still do it, just hold the option key. 8)

Or go to trackpad in system prefs, change Swipe between pages to "Swipe with two or three fingers". I don't know why but it also works without having to hold the option key down.

Who knows, there might be some other hidden goodies by holding the modifier keys down too.
Thanks for the advice. But when I change to "swipe with two or three fingers", the "three finger drag" doesn't work anymore!! And if I choose "scroll left or right with two fingers" (and thus be able to use the "three finger drag") then it's only possible in Safari but not in Finder! You got the solution for that?