PROMETHEUS

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
arachnaut

Re: PROMETHEUS

Post by arachnaut » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:27 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote: I'd urge you to read that blog post from AICN:

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html

... but they carried with them something foul from Earth - a nasty version of the goo, no doubt, born from the violence they just witnessed. .
That blog makes a of sense. It seems to imply that the humanity of Earth was so badly maligned that the Engineers couldn't even control their own biomatter - it reacted too strangely to our psyche. Possible, and one needs to show some weakness, even for 'gods'.

I guess it will take a few years to film part 2. We'll have plenty to speculate about until then. And Ridley can decide for himself just how well he did and what needs to be fixed.

The inevitable Director's Cut and DVD ought to be out for Christmas, followed a few months later by expanded versions. Isn't marketing grand?

Ridley did say that the filming was pretty much spot-on and he didn't want to change anything, even expecting an R-rating.

arachnaut

Post by arachnaut » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:01 pm

I'm probably going to stop following this topic as I think it's played out and will soon devolve into a PC versus Mac war, the path every thread goes.

But let me point out one thing that no one had brought up before:

Forbidden Planet.

This movie has an awesome sound track, incredible effects, decent acting and writing.

It's theme is that a superior race of peaceful beings made a machine that could create matter from mere thought. They didn't realized that their subconscious could come out and take over the machine.

It's a similar theme, with the materialism of the time (1950's) being replaced with the current biological emphasis.

That movie, in turn, is often compared to Shakespeare's The Tempest (but I never read that so I don't know).

Another little note:

Mary Shelley subtitled Frankenstein - The Modern Prometheus.

It's worthwhile reading up on the various myths around the idea of Prometheus.

Myths seem to be part of our human DNA, their ideas resonate strongly at a gut level, and there are many common myths among civilizations that could hardly have known about each other. Jung explored this in his psychology and I think the final say about how myths originate has not yet been told.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:27 pm

Ridley Scott flatly states that the 0 BCE crucifixion could have been of an engineer, and the captain in the movie flatly states that the engineers are using this outpost to design bio-weapons. Cool to speculate but IMO might as well go with what the writers are pointing you towards. People were created by the engineers, the opening scene is possibly earth, but mainly to give you the idea that they sacrifice themselves to create life on other planets/earth etc. We killed an emissary, and it was decided by the engineers to wipe out mankind using bio-weapons. In the process of creating the weapons something went horribly wrong on the base planet of operation, and for some reason we were allowed to live. The hints in the movie point to modern religion (christianity etc.) proving our own capacity for self sacrifice and therefore our value.

One thing I find interesting and disturbing about this concept is that it's been used for thousands of years to gear mankind towards war. It's not any mystery that bravery and self sacrifice are common themes in the military. It's also been used systematically to marginalize and discriminate against a real or perceived enemy of state or culture.
It also clearly points to the engineers being simply servants of the "creator", seeding planets not unlike the alien race in Childhoods End who are workers/angels for the creator...

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:37 pm

You guys are over thinking this.

Incredible vistas. Ship fly-bys. Lens flares. Blinky lights. Spherical glass helmets. Nostalgia-induced dopamine shot from space jockey chair scenes. Slithery acid-slinging stuff. Android has best acting chops in film. Girl performs self-abortion. Big guy starts kicking ass. Big guy gets face-hugged. Girl channels Sigourney in the last 10 minutes. Done.

Part 2?

Prometheuses

Engineers come out of the woodworks to fight the girl. Bill Paxton shows up to tell everyone we're fucked. Pulse rifles. Done.

:x
Unsound Designer

arachnaut

Post by arachnaut » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:52 pm

stringtapper wrote:You guys are over thinking this.

Incredible vistas. Ship fly-bys. Lens flares. Blinky lights. Spherical glass helmets. Nostalgia-induced dopamine shot from space jockey chair scenes. Slithery acid-slinging stuff. Android has best acting chops in film. Girl performs self-abortion. Big guy starts kicking ass. Big guy gets face-hugged. Girl channels Sigourney in the last 10 minutes. Done.

Part 2?

Prometheuses

Engineers come out of the woodworks to fight the girl. Bill Paxton shows up to tell everyone we're fucked. Pulse rifles. Done.

So you are saying Jim Cameron will do part 2?

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:10 pm

arachnaut wrote:

Part 2?

Prometheuses

So you are saying Jim Cameron will do part 2?

In a perfect world.

And Fincher can do the 3rd.

And there won't be a 4th.

Unsound Designer

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:28 pm

stringtapper wrote: Pulse rifles.

THIS

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:34 pm

Part 2?

Prometheuses

Yup...exactly. And Cameron wants to do it. See, there were actually two Prometheus vessels built....to borrow a phrase from "Contact"..."why build one when you can get two for the price of two". The 2nd Prometheus vessel loaded with mercenaries and military jugheads shadowed the first one, undetected by a couple billion miles, and just as a backup in case someone on the first vessel fucked things up. Anyway, in Prometheus Part Deux, we have the jugheads swarming the temples only to discover that the place is infested with proto-deacons, and all kinds of tentacle whipping mutants. The makings of real rootin-tootin ding-dong-dandy showdown of Goo vs. the Dirty Dozen. :lol:

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:22 am

At the theater now waiting for it to begin. I'm by myself. 2nd time I've ever gone to a movie alone. My boss pissed me off severely with his God complex and I thought straight to the theater is more responsible than straight to the bar.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:53 am

noticed the mural of the xenomorph is in a jesus christ pose which I haven't seen anyone mention.

What's up with that?

EDIT:

Good lord there is some interesting stuff on this. The key takeaway is that the zenomorph already exists, and may well be worshipped by the engineers. Crazy.

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/communi ... topic/7436

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/communi ... topic/7605

http://gamingshogun.com/2012/06/08/prom ... ie-review/

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:41 pm

pulsoc wrote:noticed the mural of the xenomorph is in a jesus christ pose which I haven't seen anyone mention.

What's up with that?

EDIT:

Good lord there is some interesting stuff on this. The key takeaway is that the zenomorph already exists, and may well be worshipped by the engineers. Crazy.

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/communi ... topic/7436

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/communi ... topic/7605

http://gamingshogun.com/2012/06/08/prom ... ie-review/
Also in that mural you have the giant squid face hugger above the zenomorph which I reckon is the Queen. So Black stuff -> worm sperm -> squidy facehugger-> Queen-> eggs-> facehuggers->zenomorph.

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:59 pm

ikeaboy wrote:Also in that mural you have the giant squid face hugger above the zenomorph which I reckon is the Queen. So Black stuff -> worm sperm -> squidy facehugger-> Queen-> eggs-> facehuggers->zenomorph.
Except the Queen is a later Cameron invention. Ridley's recent special cut of Alien shows the remains of Brett & Dallas being cocooned into eggs. No queen needed.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:03 pm

I really hope they drop the whole queen alien business. For me that was what steered the whole franchise in the wrong direction, a bit like how Darth saying he was Luke's dad was the exact moment where Star Wars went titsabilly.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:13 pm

beatmunga wrote:I really hope they drop the whole queen alien business. For me that was what steered the whole franchise in the wrong direction, a bit like how Darth saying he was Luke's dad was the exact moment where Star Wars went titsabilly.
Can't say as I agree with that because the Queen was pure awesomeness. But I get what you're sayin'.

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:20 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Can't say as I agree with that because the Queen was pure awesomeness. But I get what you're sayin'.
The queen definitely was a fantastic way to up the ante another notch in Aliens - we've only just got used to the plural of the species, and now we're faced with a giant motherfucker.

I just think that from then on the whole motherhood thing got a bit overpowering. The DIY caesarian in Prometheus is perhaps guilty of hijacking this theme again.