PROMETHEUS

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
Forge.

Re: PROMETHEUS

Post by Forge. » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:35 am

knotkranky wrote:..Ridley is the man, but he has the ability to make a stinker..
Yeah, I finally got around to watching Hannibal the other day, thinking it would be good because he directed it, and I was really quite surprised at how poor it was. I don't know if it's more his fault or the writers, but it was a gigantic steaming pile of 'meh'.

I had the same 'suspension of disbelief' issues as a lot of you - I was really bothered by the fact that they all took off their helmets and by the willingness of the dude to go up to the snake alien thing. Really didn't gel with the trillion dollar mission where they've chosen the best for the job. Likewise with the hollywood wisecracking of the scientists, the over-emotional love story etc.... it's always disappointing in these movies when they go to such lengths to make things look as 'real' as possible visually, with 3D, but make the characters totally 2 dimensional and unrealistic.

Still, as with Avatar - worth it for the sheer spectacle.

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:01 am

People expected waaaay to much from this flick as if 'ol Ridley owed us something. Come on for chrisakes....at the end of the day, it's 2 hours of escapist entertainment - no more, no less. Pretentious picking away at plotline and character development is a futile effort. Yeah, the Holloway character was a dildo and so on and so forth, but who cares. This thing was a masterpiece and I felt grateful to be watching it. From the previews, I can already tell that the unnecessary remake of Total Recall is going to be a foaming mound of diarrhea (hey...it's Colin Fucking Farrell...what'dya expect) , but at least we have Prometheus to hold us over till Avatar 2 comes out - and except for the cinemascape on that one, I won't be holding my breath too deeply.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:10 am

Styles Bitchly wrote:....at the end of the day, it's 2 hours of escapist entertainment - no more, no less... This thing was a masterpiece and I felt grateful to be watching it.
??????????

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:12 am

Hidden Driveways wrote: I wish I realized Charlese Therone (or whoever) was an android during the movie (not afterward when reading this threade).
I'm not sold on the theory that Meredith Vickers is an android.

My take is that she is the daughter that should have been a son.
Her father created david as his only son, and so Meredith Vickers starts to become less emotional and more robotic to try and compensate and maybe win her father over. There is obvious animosity between her and david that i think is based on jealousy and there is also that scene where she tries to get some kind of affection out of her father just before they go off to visit the sleeping engineer.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:14 pm

She's not a robot.

ffs.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:15 pm

Styles Bitchly wrote:Avatar 2

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:49 pm

Well, this thread stated she was a robot, and I believed it. :|

Remember how she had the fancy escape pod quarters on the ship, with the surgury machine? But then that chick gets in there, and it says that it was only programmed to operate on men? So the surgury machine is for Papa Weyland, and no need to waste expensive data storage on programing it for a woman, because daughter is a cyborg.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:04 pm

I hope everybody on here that is having issues small or large with Prometheus agrees that District 9 was an utter POS. That movie was the WORST of the genre on every possible level. :x

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:21 pm

I watched a chunk of Aliens on tv recently. At first I thought it was a cheap comedy about cliches in moviemaking, screenwriting and characterisation, until Sigourney Weaver wandered on screen. I remembered that as a classic, but it's terrible!

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:30 pm

God you're both wrong.

Aliens still rocks.

District 9 was fucking fantastic.

ffs.

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:25 pm

pulsoc wrote:
Styles Bitchly wrote:....at the end of the day, it's 2 hours of escapist entertainment - no more, no less... This thing was a masterpiece and I felt grateful to be watching it.
??????????
What don't you understand about that statement? :)

Styles Bitchly

Post by Styles Bitchly » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:28 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:Well, this thread stated she was a robot, and I believed it. :|

Remember how she had the fancy escape pod quarters on the ship, with the surgury machine? But then that chick gets in there, and it says that it was only programmed to operate on men? So the surgury machine is for Papa Weyland, and no need to waste expensive data storage on programing it for a woman, because daughter is a cyborg.
Only the Cap'n knows. 8)

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:57 pm

Styles Bitchly wrote:
Hidden Driveways wrote:Well, this thread stated she was a robot, and I believed it. :|

Only the Cap'n knows. 8)

Exactly. Since he got a little mud on the helmut I'm going with HOT HUMAN.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:03 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:
District 9 was fucking fantastic.

NO.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:09 am

the thing I liked about District 9 was the way the back guy.. sorry, the 'alien' got evicted by the protagonist, had his best friend killed by him, was seeing his entire people being wiped out by the protagonist, was being moved to a deathcamp by the protagonist,just as he was about to get home the protagonist smashes him in the head kidnaps his only child and crashes his fucking spaceship ... and he still acts like every cliche black guy in a movie. Hey whiteman, I forgive you for all that other stuff because of ... um, that's my thinly veiled purpose in this script. I'm the magical negro.

wait, did I say "liked", I meant "one of the pathetic things I laughed at"

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicalNegro