ekwipt

Re: PROMETHEUS

Post by ekwipt » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:38 am

These guys summed up for me. Not sure if it's in the thread but I LOL

http://redlettermedia.com/red-letter-me ... -spoilers/

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:25 am

The comments there are a worthy read as well.

The question I have is did Ridley make it like this on purpose so some audience would go back to try and find answers? CHA-CHING
ImageImage

ekwipt

Post by ekwipt » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:24 am

And bring out directors cuts for the next 20 years

arachnaut

Post by arachnaut » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:00 pm

Forge. wrote:
arachnaut wrote:Let me offer a radically different take on the movie background.

Suppose the Engineers are so beneficent that they can no longer fight wars.

Let's say they are attacked by some OTHER alien race. These are the ones that made the biogoop.
(I know the movie starts with the acolyte drinking the goop - but it doesn't look exactly like the stuff coming from the canisters. So it could just be something different.)

Anyway, if the Engineers needed military aid, wouldn't they try to contact he Roman army?
then why was the one they woke up so violent to them?
Yeh, shoot that idea down cold.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:37 pm

ekwipt wrote:These guys summed up for me. Not sure if it's in the thread but I LOL

http://redlettermedia.com/red-letter-me ... -spoilers/
:lol:

That about sums it up

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:15 pm

What I've come to realise, which I suspected even before walking into the cinema, is that Prometheus was completely unnecessary. OK, I can see that you guys are enjoying speculating, but before Prometheus was announced, did anyone GIVE A FUCK about where the aliens came from? What is wrong with just an entertaining, well crafted horror film about some bloody aliens? What's next - a war flick about how Captain Koons in Pulp Fiction got that watch up his arse? A prequel to Snakes on a Plane?

Did you ever wonder what happened to Roy Neary after he took off in the spaceship? Of course! Do you want to see a film about it? Of course not!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:32 pm

"Did you ever wonder what happened to Roy Neary after he took off in the spaceship? Of course! Do you want to see a film about it? "

That's such an awesome idea, I would totally pay to see that.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:42 pm

I was thinking the same about Cpn Koons
ImageImage

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:27 pm

Tarekith wrote:"Did you ever wonder what happened to Roy Neary after he took off in the spaceship? Of course! Do you want to see a film about it? "

That's such an awesome idea, I would totally pay to see that.

It is most definitely not an awesome idea for a film. It is just an awesome idea. And our imagination will always do a better job of appreciating the mystery of such a scenario than any number of Hollywood technicians ever could.

This is the genius of great art. It hints at things that get our imaginations juiced up.

'Alien' did this magnificently. More than any other film I can think of.

('Close Encounters' comes very close)

In fact, the two films are two sides of the same coin:

Spielberg: - Embrace the scary aliens (and 'Close Encounters' is terrifying in places). Make that leap of faith. You will be rewarded.

Scott: - Scary aliens will rip our skulls out with their projectile jaws. Dwell on the horror of that for a bit.

Both are masterpieces because they allow us to use our imagination.

Whether Prometheus pushes the same buttons,I'm still not decided on. Which may be the sign of a great work.

On the other hand, it may not.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:57 pm

All I know is that real 'piece of shit' films simply don't get this many people talking about it well after release. Many forums I visit people are still talking about this movie. Badly done in spots? Yup. Thought provoking and lasting? Absolutely.

I've a feeling in many ways this film is going to stand the test of time. It will never enter the Pantheon of great scifi flicks, but something more akin to the original Russian version of Solaris: a deeply, deeply flawed film that...after time...is also recognized as somewhat of a near-masterpiece.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:04 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote: but something more akin to the original Russian version of Solaris: a deeply, deeply flawed film that...after time...is also recognized as somewhat of a near-masterpiece.

I consider myself a film appreciator of a fairly high degree, able to enjoy bizarro shit most folks walk out on. I couldn't finish the original Solaris. The remake, with George f'in Clooney, I thought was very good. I saw the remake before attempting the original.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:02 am

pulsoc wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote: but something more akin to the original Russian version of Solaris: a deeply, deeply flawed film that...after time...is also recognized as somewhat of a near-masterpiece.

I consider myself a film appreciator of a fairly high degree, able to enjoy bizarro shit most folks walk out on. I couldn't finish the original Solaris. The remake, with George f'in Clooney, I thought was very good. I saw the remake before attempting the original.
I hear you on the original Solaris, believe me. But it's definitely got a serious hardcare fanbase. It's also, incidently, one of those films in which the director utterly either didn't understand Lem's novel or just didn't give a shit. I dug the remake more as well, but....fact is no one in scifi circles really ever talks about it. I suppose one could argue that Soderbergh also didn't understand the novel or didn't give a shit because he too barely got into the hardcore scifi issues the book deals with....
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:51 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:
pulsoc wrote:

I hear you on the original Solaris, believe me. But it's definitely got a serious hardcare fanbase. It's also, incidently, one of those films in which the director utterly either didn't understand Lem's novel or just didn't give a shit. I dug the remake more as well, but....fact is no one in scifi circles really ever talks about it. I suppose one could argue that Soderbergh also didn't understand the novel or didn't give a shit because he too barely got into the hardcore scifi issues the book deals with....
I've tried reading the book about three times.. each time i've gotten about six more pages deeper than the last time, and each time i've had to wipe out the blood that has pooled in my ears from my brain melting...
I need to try harder, i know.
My wife and i just had our first baby so i don't think its gonna happen any time soon.
Having said that i preferred the remake over the original movie.. and i love the sound track.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:15 am

LoopStationZebra wrote: I hear you on the original Solaris, believe me. But it's definitely got a serious hardcare fanbase. It's also, incidently, one of those films in which the director utterly either didn't understand Lem's novel or just didn't give a shit. I dug the remake more as well, but....fact is no one in scifi circles really ever talks about it. I suppose one could argue that Soderbergh also didn't understand the novel or didn't give a shit because he too barely got into the hardcore scifi issues the book deals with....
Still haven't seen Solaris but that director Andrei Tarkovsky made another film called Stalker which I hated when I saw it because I expected a science fiction film, and was 19. at 20 I was still thinking about that movie and now in my 40's I still think about it. Sometimes a movie is so alien you don't 'get' it right away, but if it keeps asking questions of you and makes you think, then it's beyond entertainment. If Solaris has 1/4 the depth of Stalker then there's no way that Prometheus is going to have that sort of legacy. Scotts crowning achievement as far as movies with a bit of depth imo will probably always be Blade Runner.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:52 am

I loved Tarkovsky's Solaris as well as Stalker (which is one of my all-time favourites). Stalker is pretty different from the book, Roadside Picnic (which I never finished, as the English translation is really bad); the film is a lot less on the nose; it leaves more for your imagination.