PROMETHEUS

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
arachnaut

Re: PROMETHEUS

Post by arachnaut » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:40 am

H20nly wrote:just saw yesterday. i like it. my only real complaints...

#1 - can we have an extra pass in the "medical pod" to cauterize this gnarley wound or an extra bit of dialogue that explains how a woman who just had her lower abdominal muscles sliced open can run, jump... and.... here's the big one... pull her dangling legs up from hanging over a ledge, all with only staples and pain meds as the solution to the after math of her surgery an hour earlier.

#2 WTF is the point of making Guy Pierce get all dressed up to play an old guy that has a handful of lines? was there a shortage on old guys that act?

aside from those two things (the second one is trivial really) i thought the rest of the movie was pretty damn good.

sorry guys, i didn't read the other 25 pages before posting this. if that matters.
No it doesn't matter.

As for one, well, the machine sprayed her with lots of stuff, not just staples, perhaps liquid skin. And she kept injecting stuff and taking pills constantly. By 2093, I hope they have made some medical progress. But, in reality, it is just a movie. Also, she zipped up that space suit, and those red lines were tubes that carried life-support stuff. It was a smart suit. The narrative tracks go into great detail about a lot of story lines and 'fine-print' like this.

As for 2, they explained this. Originally there were supposed to be scenes of him as a young man, so they needed that, otherwise they would have used an older man. There were many rejected story lines - for example: Weyland was terraforming Mars, had an orbital space station home, and Holloway and Shaw found the last message on Mars, not on Earth.

Goddard

Post by Goddard » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:50 am

arachnaut wrote:By 2093, I hope they have made some medical progress.
I bet it has something to do with Mitt Romney's future health insurance reform...
arachnaut wrote:It was a smart suit.
I think some Prometheus enthusiasts need them as well...

Sieg heil US & A!
"Machines are the weapon employed by the capitalists to quell the revolt of specialized labor" Karl Marx

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:21 pm

arachnaut wrote:No it doesn't matter.

As for one, well, the machine sprayed her with lots of stuff, not just staples, perhaps liquid skin. And she kept injecting stuff and taking pills constantly. By 2093, I hope they have made some medical progress. But, in reality, it is just a movie. Also, she zipped up that space suit, and those red lines were tubes that carried life-support stuff. It was a smart suit. The narrative tracks go into great detail about a lot of story lines and 'fine-print' like this.

As for 2, they explained this. Originally there were supposed to be scenes of him as a young man, so they needed that, otherwise they would have used an older man. There were many rejected story lines - for example: Weyland was terraforming Mars, had an orbital space station home, and Holloway and Shaw found the last message on Mars, not on Earth.
thanks.

yeah, it is just a movie... which is why i started by saying i liked it rather than pick it apart first. i tend to try and suspend my beliefs, but sometimes things just keep returning. i can buy in to the heal faster process, but where i couldn't disbelieve any further was at the end as she falls over the edge(s) and pulls her legs up (using her lower abdomen) when she's just been running and running and running some more. pulling your legs up like that requires the exact muscles that she just severed into two parts. maybe it's not the medical equipment and technology i'm doubting, but rather the will power, stamina and strength of this woman who happens to be a scientist who happens to have just been frozen... who is too stupid/shocked/far removed from the scientific process to turn left or right, but instead runs straight, following the same path, when a giant round object rolls toward her. i just feel as though we could have connected with her had as much attention to this detail had been paid as to the details in the background... which frees our mind to enjoy the background rather than forcing ourselves to suspend belief. i guess i feel as though there were a few interruptions in that. another is the "here little alien aren't you pretty" bullshit from one of the two lostronaughts.

*shrugs* pound for pound i liked it... a lot.

@ Goddard - you should take out all that hate you're harboring on someone - maybe pick up a copy of the Anarchist's Cook Book and make some of those feelings manifest. just think, you could get your name in the paper!
or... you could pick on someone less fortunate or handicapped... or maybe you should just look in the mirror and ask yourself what the anger, frustration and blame has ever really done for you... instead of focusing on what you think the United States has done to you. :roll:

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:40 pm

H20nly wrote:you could pick on someone less fortunate or handicapped

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:58 pm

but where i couldn't disbelieve any further was at the end as she falls over the edge(s) and pulls her legs up (using her lower abdomen) when she's just been running and running and running some more. pulling your legs up like that requires the exact muscles that she just severed into two parts. maybe it's not the medical equipment and technology i'm doubting, but rather the will power, stamina and strength of this woman who happens to be a scientist who happens to have just been frozen... who is too stupid/shocked/far removed from the scientific process to turn left or right, but instead runs straight, following the same path, when a giant round object rolls toward her. i just feel as though we could have connected with her had as much attention to this detail had been paid as to the details in the background... which frees our mind to enjoy the background rather than forcing ourselves to suspend belief. i guess i feel as though there were a few interruptions in that. another is the "here little alien aren't you pretty" bullshit from one of the two lostronaughts.

*shrugs* pound for pound i liked it... a lot.

@ Goddard - you should take out all that hate you're harboring on someone - maybe pick up a copy of the Anarchist's Cook Book and make some of those feelings manifest. just think, you could get your name in the paper!
or... you could pick on someone less fortunate or handicapped... or maybe you should just look in the mirror and ask yourself what the anger, frustration and blame has ever really done for you... instead of focusing on what you think the United States has done to you.
and the parts where it goes back to the 2 idiots seem like rough edits because they have to deliver the horror part of the movie. Sort of like - Pilot: "Hey this is supposed to be a horror movie so here's a cut back to those dumbfucks in the "cave"". I think the main point of Prometheus was the origin/creator aspect but Ridley had to work with this vehicle (no pun intended). I could easily do without those couple earlier and don't think the movie would hurt without them, except that some minor parts that tie into other significant scenes.

Nonetheless, +1 to above.

Seriously, you've landed on an alien planet, come across residual occurrence of previous human-like entities running from something and getting killed, yet you think some hissing eel like thing swimming out of black oil is cute and gonna be friendly? I think there was a lack of judgement in thinking the audience was going to expect this level of camp, like he's dissing his own franchise. Still, good fun, and I like that brunette. I hope sequels come out, because they could be an improvement. People who dissed this one will still want to see them, either to pick it apart and love to hate it, or for redemption.
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:51 pm

If most science fiction movies took the time to explain everything or make each scene believable they wouldn’t be a movie, they’d be a 24 episode series.

And there’d still be haters saying they didn’t cover everything adequately. :x

simpleton

Post by simpleton » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:18 am

Look, the movie SUCKED... BIG time. Get over it. ARGO is better.
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

arachnaut

Post by arachnaut » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:18 pm

arachnaut wrote:...

There is nothing about the music, but just about everything else is covered in detail.
At the time I wrote that I hadn't finished watching the 3.5 hour making of documentary.

Actually the last 10 or 15 minutes cover the composer and the music. Interesting that it was made by a real symphony (in Abbey Road Studios using ProTools) - not synthesized.

There was another part where they showed the sound engineers putting together a hodge-podge of guitar stomp-boxes to make effects that could easily have been made in Reaktor or something like Guitar Rig.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:24 pm

arachnaut wrote:
arachnaut wrote:...

There is nothing about the music, but just about everything else is covered in detail.
At the time I wrote that I hadn't finished watching the 3.5 hour making of documentary.

Actually the last 10 or 15 minutes cover the composer and the music. Interesting that it was made by a real symphony (in Abbey Road Studios using ProTools) - not synthesized.

There was another part where they showed the sound engineers putting together a hodge-podge of guitar stomp-boxes to make effects that could easily have been made in Reaktor or something like Guitar Rig.
Sounds like the old school DJ approach, real composers don’t use plug-ins and sample libraries.

I’m going to go on craigslist now and start assembling my symphony members. :x