really? you buy samples?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.

do you buy samples

yes
18%
no
82%

Total votes: 34

bartend7

Re: really? you buy samples?

Post by bartend7 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:36 pm

i wasnt trying to sound like a pretentious btch or anything. and i do agree with the point on free stuff. not stealing, but people always seem to be giving packs away. i like using those and fking with them beyond recognition. I was just wondering why people would spend money on such things. as between prerecorded music already out there, free sample stuff, and making your own field recordings it just doesnt make sense for me to buy samples. i'd rather support the music industry by purchasing someones album. which i do, even though it's even easier to get that shit for free. i think its important to buy from artists you like. but thats another story. so maybe if i wasn't such a poor ass loser i'd buy some samples, but i dont see that ever changing.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:43 pm

beats me wrote:
So you’re angle is “Why buy when you can steal”? :P

get a grip, lets take a look at your music library, if it is ALL legit, you would be a rare individual..

but, i should not have copy pasted it in here, i deleted it, maybe you could the quote

senator adam

Post by senator adam » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:07 pm

Really depends on what you're producing for. Making your own music for your own release: sample whatever. Making music for licensing/selling to other companies: definitely use legit samples...
My tunes (triphop/downtempo/beats):
http://www.thenewlaw.com

My podcast:
http://www.senatoradam.com

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:15 pm

i've never bought loops but i've bought sampled instruments.
go out and sample a Novachord myself (for example)? like that's going to happen!

it's not a simple yes or no answer.

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:17 pm

I make music to kill time and feel like I'm accomplishing something on this planet.

Yay, I can do whatever I want!

PS: I never buy loops. It's like buying a prefabricated song. I see nothing wrong with samples though. Do people complain about how every piano sounds vaguely... similar? NO THEY DON'T. They don't care if you make it with vengeance samples or trombones. As long as it sounds good.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:52 pm

simmerdown wrote:
beats me wrote:
So you’re angle is “Why buy when you can steal”? :P

get a grip, lets take a look at your music library, if it is ALL legit, you would be a rare individual..

but, i should not have copy pasted it in here, i deleted it, maybe you could the quote

Let's notice my use of :P at the end of my question. If I was offended by it I'd end with :x

There's 2 debates going on here. The heavy use of professionally made samples and loops in a song compared to coming up with most or all of the sounds yourself. And if you're going to use samples and loops why pay for them when there are so many freebies available which could also enter into licensing issues.

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:32 pm

So... What you're saying is.. You're always offended?

:x

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:09 pm

beh...if i see a yellow circle up here i assume its a :x , cheers cupcake!

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:49 pm

ummm, i never bought any, I get them from wherever. Mostly I make my own from my own field recordings, probably about 90%. Sometimes I sample a few seconds here and there from records, tapes, cds and mp3's that I have. Occasionally I record the mrs or whoever singing bits and pieces of known songs and use them in my stuff but I guess that goes slightly over into cover version territory

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:05 am

simmerdown wrote:my outlook is not bc im some kind of miltant purist about it..if i have a bit of money i use it for hardware or other things first...no doubt theres nice stuff being made with bought loops..but, i would not be able to feel as good about, or proud of the end result using prefab source material...as for the listeners w/e..the producer is the first gatekeeper
that's ^ how i feel about it.

one shots don't count.. unless they're vocals. a single snare/bass/horn/hi/tam/etc hit. please. you think Ableton installed a tiny drummer in your DAW to play the notes in your composition "Live" every time you click the play button.?. :?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:04 am

Over my 15 years I have used combinations of ALL (Packs, Sampled instruments, Field Recordings, Hand Drawn Waves etc etc)... Just as in the case I have also used a lot of different DAWs which all have different tools and FX.

When using samples in tracks I am very cautious though. I have everything organised in particular order so all "Purchased Packs" are together with the details of where they came from and the licensing. I also have loads of loops I have ripped from commercial tracks which are seperate again and then I have loads of one-shots such as drums, stabs and instruments.

If I am using samples that are easily recognized I try and either cut, filter or mask the sound and layer others over them... This is where I see some use in pre-made samples.

Not all of us can come up with endless hit ideas. Sometimes I like to load and play with pre-fabbed ideas and use them as a base to start. Begin making a new idea, then take away the original elements and continue. Can sometimes help.

Each to their own though.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:03 am

i use samples amongst other methods (analog synth boxes,midi) to make my noise....who cares really?? a lot of very famous, very talented, very rich producers use samples....hip hop was created mostly by sampling records....definitely takes more talent than buying a sample pack, but still using someone else's music. whatever does it for you.
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:16 pm

jestermgee wrote:Over my 15 years I have used combinations of ALL (Packs, Sampled instruments, Field Recordings, Hand Drawn Waves etc etc)...
oh yeah - i forgot the hand drawn wave thing. i mentioned this before somewhere but i'll mention it again - anyone use the great free SPEAR program ? : http://www.klingbeil.com/spear/

great for making your own sounds from scratch

abl385

Post by abl385 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:28 pm

H20nly wrote:
simmerdown wrote:my outlook is not bc im some kind of miltant purist about it..if i have a bit of money i use it for hardware or other things first...no doubt theres nice stuff being made with bought loops..but, i would not be able to feel as good about, or proud of the end result using prefab source material...as for the listeners w/e..the producer is the first gatekeeper
that's ^ how i feel about it.

one shots don't count.. unless they're vocals. a single snare/bass/horn/hi/tam/etc hit. please. you think Ableton installed a tiny drummer in your DAW to play the notes in your composition "Live" every time you click the play button.?. :?
Completely agree with these..
jestermgee wrote:Over my 15 years I have used combinations of ALL (Packs, Sampled instruments, Field Recordings, Hand Drawn Waves etc etc)... Just as in the case I have also used a lot of different DAWs which all have different tools and FX.

When using samples in tracks I am very cautious though. I have everything organised in particular order so all "Purchased Packs" are together with the details of where they came from and the licensing. I also have loads of loops I have ripped from commercial tracks which are seperate again and then I have loads of one-shots such as drums, stabs and instruments.

If I am using samples that are easily recognized I try and either cut, filter or mask the sound and layer others over them... This is where I see some use in pre-made samples.

Not all of us can come up with endless hit ideas. Sometimes I like to load and play with pre-fabbed ideas and use them as a base to start. Begin making a new idea, then take away the original elements and continue. Can sometimes help.

Each to their own though.
..and kind of disagree with this.

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:25 pm

loops yeah I heard of'em so what, who wants to know, last time I seen some loops they were behind bars, sometimes 4, 8, or even 16
but I don't get along with those, I prefer to break them down into granular salts and then rebuild epic tributes to the original artist.