Hmmm... Bitwig studio.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Machinesworking

Re: Hmmm... Bitwig studio.

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:28 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Put it this way....no other DAW that I'm aware of has it's own native iOS controller app and/or truly mobile version that could sync up perfectly. Imagine sketching out some great riffs on the iPad/iPhone version of the DAW, then connecting it with the main DAW for flawless studio or LIVE performance sync.

No one is even thinking along those lines that I'm aware of....

oMfG

:x
[cough] Been out for over a year now, and it's free.
http://www.motu.com/newsitems/new-iphon ... -performer
iOs controller app anyway, and doesn't the Garageband app sync or load songs to the OSX version.

Ryanmf

Post by Ryanmf » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:41 pm

iMaschine (which sucks) and the iMPC2000 app (or whatever the hell they're going to call it) have features sort of like that, but neither are true DAWs. Garageband has iTunes sync as well, but it's not really a pro DAW either. Mw, I hadn't seen that Motu app; I don't see myself ever using DP personally, but thanks for bringing it up.

I don't (yet) have any reason to believe that this will come to pass, but here's an idea that I think would be awesome: an open source project file format. Imagine making some part of a song in Beatmaker, or Nanostudio, or whatever you use, in a hypothetical future scenario wherein the developer of that app has built in the ability to export stems/samples/automation/mix data as a Bitwig project file. Imagine taking that new Aurex app to record a practice session, doing some preliminary mixing/panning/etc on the ride home (this presumes you live in a city where using an iPad on public transit doesn't get you jacked) and being able to perform a similar export to immediately continue assembling your rough demo in Bitwig when you're back at your workstation.

As far as in-studio/performance control is concerned, the MIDI editing in Griid and the instrument control interface elements in Touchable are both very cool, but those are obviously developed by third parties. They're also dependent on Live's API, a feature we have no reason to believe will exist in Bitwig (but I hope something like it is implemented at some point in the future).

I've been pretty vocal about my gripes with some aspects of touchscreen DAW control. I think faders are useful sometimes, and sometimes a hardware fader—even a bad one—is a significantly better option. I think touch keys and drumpads are generally moronic, although sometimes the adaptability of a touchscreen can provide interesting opportunities for innovative melodic input (see: Soundprism Pro, Geo Synthesizer, and the newly released Orphion). I think knobs/encoders under glass are a scourge upon the earth.

However, there are some opportunities for touch input I would love to see any DAW or third-party developer explore, and haven't yet. I think drawing animation curves would be incredible. I think mirroring clip waveforms for sample editing/slicing (maybe even subtractive/granular waveform manipulation) would be useful at least, and could have some interesting creative potential. And I'm still waiting to see input methods for general parameter control that are less a mimicry of physical controls (see: encoders under glass) and more appropriate for the inherent benefits of a touchscreen and the tools available in iOS specifically (gestures, accelerometer/gyro input, adaptable interface design, etc). In the meanwhile I'm trying to get my Obj-C skills up to snuff in the event that I may beat them to it.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:59 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:Put it this way....no other DAW that I'm aware of has it's own native iOS controller app and/or truly mobile version that could sync up perfectly. Imagine sketching out some great riffs on the iPad/iPhone version of the DAW, then connecting it with the main DAW for flawless studio or LIVE performance sync.

No one is even thinking along those lines that I'm aware of....

oMfG

[cough] Been out for over a year now, and it's free.
http://www.motu.com/newsitems/new-iphon ... -performer
iOs controller app anyway, and doesn't the Garageband app sync or load songs to the OSX version.

Well...I'm talking about a SERIOUS DAW. :lol: And there's no real mobile version...
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:03 pm

I think touchAble is pure genius and one of my alltime fav apps.

However, it's not a true stand-alone mobile DAW....only a controller. The best iOS controller out there, mind you, but nonetheless still just a controller.

I'm waiting for that magic moment....when mobile DAW meets desktop DAW...from the same company - with supertight workflow and cohesion.

Hasn't happened. Yet.

I mean...pfft. Ableton has utterly ignored the most amazing thing in music production/creation in the past decade:

:lol:

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:13 pm

Realbeat can export it's projects as .als files, and they mostly work, yet when I last checked...2nd qtr 2011...there wasn't much mention of it. But yeah, I don't see how that couldn't happen in the next year. Everyone wants compatibility. Developers pay a fee to have license to export, customers more likely to choose over what the compatibility is. But compatibility between already existing formats isn't really open source, so are you saying all DAW companies should agree to a new universal format where everything is compatible? or just DAWs <-> iPad apps? What about an update to OMF/AAF/MXF? I think it'd be easier just for DAW's to License out; drives business anyway. In the jailbreak world on the other hand..../shrug
And I'm still waiting to see input methods for general parameter control that are less a mimicry of physical controls (see: encoders under glass)...
I'm really excited for gradients to be buried (damn you gradients, damn you all to hell!) and continue on the Tron looking path. When it comes to VST's I enjoy a pro-looking emulation done by gifted designers/skinners but yeah, not on device controls.
ImageImage

aisling

Post by aisling » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:24 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
Well...I'm talking about a SERIOUS DAW. :lol: And there's no real mobile version...
To state it humbly and not to incite a flame war, DP is really a league above live, in many aspects.
Now that DP has added windows with the DP8 upgrade, I think you will start seeing much more of it outside of the grammy producers, and oscar film scores that utilize it.
No offense intended :)
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:20 am

aisling wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:
To state it humbly and not to incite a flame war, DP is really a league above live, in many aspects.
Now that DP has added windows with the DP8 upgrade, I think you will start seeing much more of it outside of the grammy producers, and oscar film scores that utilize it.
No offense intended :)

*I know, I know. I just didn't want to admit ANY ignorance on the part of iOS apps Fuck. FUCK*