Real DJs vs Fake DJs

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.

Ryanmf

Re: Real DJs vs Fake DJs

Post by Ryanmf » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

(And as a prodigious curser myself, dude has some serious profanity chops.)

k-toh

Post by k-toh » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:14 pm

Indeed. To summise his valid argument in just two words - grow up! :P

evaodland

Post by evaodland » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:54 pm

do I have to get a hat like that...? Does every "hipster DJ that is not a DJ that learned about Ableton" have to have one of those Tom Landry hats...?

well I don't care anyway...I'm not a DJ, a real DJ or a producer or a musician...just a fuckhead that plays with stupid blooping and bleeping shit....that sometimes, briefly...very briefly sounds like something not totally disimilar to a near facsimile of music...

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:21 pm

enjoyed his zest for life but I'm kind of a stickler when it comes to consistency which definitely is not his forte.
he said he wants to be on that stage were guetta is with 20,000 people loving what he does, well if he's faking what he's doing then he doesn't do anything :roll:

also he equated fans listenership with dj skills, how oxymoronic is that, obviously fanship has nothing to do with dj skills, fanship has to do with the product they purchased and downloaded from what ever music site they get their tunes from. I won't go any further into it but his rant is filled with such inconsistencies.
but to summarize I'd say he needs to decide what he wants to articulate cause he sounds like he's confusing the fun of being a fan with the responsibility of being an artist, and I wonder if he said the same kind of thing about milli vanilli when the bottom fell out from under them.

in my opinion having respect for an artform doesn't mean that you're not having fun, it just means that you respect yourself while doing it as well as respect others. the funny thing is that nobody is forcing any of the so called fake djs to try to mislead people , they could stop pretending anytime they get ready, nobody told them to display gear that they don't use, so I have no idea why the onus is on the artist who doesn't mislead people about what they're doing............... kind of doesn't make sense.

iwantthebitches :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLwWkMVx ... re=related

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:18 pm

I want to try and DJ on pancakes now.
Because Whatever.

kev herb

Post by kev herb » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:11 pm

that fuking prick is a personification of everything thats wrong with everything :x
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:52 pm

Tarekith wrote:Awesome.
+1
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:18 pm

"I'm nothing but just a guy that loves playing music, blahblah"

starting with this quote you can be sure the guys believes he really IS someone

then you see the guy speak foe 10 minutes about the same rant

then you can count how many times he says something like "just shut the fuck up",

then you can tell him just the same.

I quite agree with him but WTF??? why don't you just shut the fuck up???

:lol:

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:53 am

I agree with the the 4 or 5 points he made but not the 4 or 5 times he made each point. Even with all the heavy editing he still lets himself yadda. Just rerecord the fucking thing.

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:21 am

I liked the guy TBH, I'd go for a beer with him. And he's right.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:34 am

the question is does he apply the same ethos towards every artform and skill set or is it just maybe so convenient to do so with the art of djing? :wink:

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:08 am

The guy has a ton of valid points. The crowd came to have fun, not to see you spinning pancakes or vinyls or whatever.

However, I still don't agree with paid "DJs" (that is, anons playing in province clubs) having mixing skills worse than iTunes' auto-crossfade, while also strictly playing whatever is dictated "hot". Because this narrow-mindness really kills any kind of exploration and creativity in music. "I have to sound like XYZ big shot, or people won't like my music".

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:38 pm

Komodovaran wrote:The guy has a ton of valid points. The crowd came to have fun, not to see you spinning pancakes or vinyls or whatever.
allot of LJs say that but why, I mean where's the proof of that?

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:56 pm

starving student wrote:
Komodovaran wrote:The guy has a ton of valid points. The crowd came to have fun, not to see you spinning pancakes or vinyls or whatever.
allot of LJs say that but why, I mean where's the proof of that?
The proof is me, in this case. Unless I paid specifically to see the DJ (that is, a concert, and not a bar full of drunk people), I generally don't care what he does if it sounds good. I know the majority of my friends think the same.

If you still need proof you need to get out :P