The Brains behind NI starts his own company!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
regretfullySaid

Re: The Brains behind NI starts his own company!

Post by regretfullySaid » Sat May 12, 2012 8:24 am

I never got too interested in Kore, but I liked that they started incorporating ratings and search.
The most I liked from NI are Kontakt and Reaktor, but can't say I've used either in ages.
I might check out Traktor for the hell of it when the quneo arrives though.
ImageImage

smutek

Post by smutek » Sat May 12, 2012 1:44 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Very cool, my favorite insight into what he's up to.
My core interest lies more with creating musical instruments for live musicians rather than studio production gear. I’ve always been drawn to the real-time world, where performance is more important than production. That goes all the way from sound generation – real-time synthesis rather than pre-recorded samples – to actually making music with high-quality keyboards and controllers rather than with sequencing software.
There're your DJ jab LSZ! :lol:
So reading between the lines a bit he doesn't have any major issues with NI, but he would like to concentrate on musicians rather than DJ's and that's his reason for wanting to focus on what probably won't be a big money venture into electronic musical instruments. Though I have no doubt he'll do something interesting.
That's not a DJ jab. Based on what you've quoted above, he's not talking about DJ's and doesn't mention anything pertaining to DJ's. He's talking about developing tools specifically designed for live performance as opposed to tools that are stuck in the studio production / DAW paradigm.

Maybe it's a jab on software like Ableton Live.

Maybe the DJ jab is that he didn't even bother to mention DJ's! ewww.... ouch! burn!!

:x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat May 12, 2012 3:56 pm

Who was it that had the invite that said 'no DJs' or something like that? :lol:

Maybe I'm not remembering that correctly but it's funny.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

aizo

Post by aizo » Sun May 13, 2012 11:24 am

I have some NI products.

I'd like a minute to say that I bought my Maschine used on eBay for less than $400.

The crazy thing about Maschine is that I love using it but hate it at the same time.

The thing I hate is that it's so fucking easy and fast to use that I get the drum tracks done on my songs in record time.

All of the fun of making beats and such with Maschine is TOO effective. DAMN YOU NI!

carry on....
ImageImage

rozling

Post by rozling » Mon May 14, 2012 8:56 am

aizo wrote:I have some NI products.

I'd like a minute to say that I bought my Maschine used on eBay for less than $400.

The crazy thing about Maschine is that I love using it but hate it at the same time.

The thing I hate is that it's so fucking easy and fast to use that I get the drum tracks done on my songs in record time.

All of the fun of making beats and such with Maschine is TOO effective. DAMN YOU NI!

carry on....
My net take from this thread: Maschine is awesome.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon May 14, 2012 6:52 pm

Personally I have never complained about the usability initially of NI's products.
I use Guitar Rig, Absynth and Massive daily, along with a lot of other products of theirs in Komplete.
I own Rig Kontrol 3 and use it live for audio in and as a controller, and use the Kore 1 hardware as my audio out in live performances.
My complaint has been and always will be IMO is with NI's slash and burn policies in terms of their product line, and your hard drive.
I think you can get great stuff out of their products no doubt, I don't think you can rely on their products to open successfully in a new OS a couple years from now in a song you shelve, unlike Ableton, Ohm Force, U-He etc. For me personally that's an issue, to some it is not. The solution is to commit to audio any NI product in a song you're shelving.

BLTNUSR

Post by BLTNUSR » Thu May 17, 2012 11:07 am

Machinesworking wrote:Personally I have never complained about the usability initially of NI's products.
I use Guitar Rig, Absynth and Massive daily, along with a lot of other products of theirs in Komplete.
I own Rig Kontrol 3 and use it live for audio in and as a controller, and use the Kore 1 hardware as my audio out in live performances.
My complaint has been and always will be IMO is with NI's slash and burn policies in terms of their product line, and your hard drive.
I think you can get great stuff out of their products no doubt, I don't think you can rely on their products to open successfully in a new OS a couple years from now in a song you shelve, unlike Ableton, Ohm Force, U-He etc. For me personally that's an issue, to some it is not. The solution is to commit to audio any NI product in a song you're shelving.
Interesting comment.
When i purchased my version of Komplete, it came with a Kore 2 controller, so i was able to check out Kore, and i thought it was a brilliant idea.. unifying all NI synths and sounds under one interface, making searching for sounds an easy task. I thought the controller was clunky to use so i (luckily) sold it right away to offset the cost of Komplete.. which obviously turned out to be a great move.
NI spent years (and a lot of money and resources) trying to integrate everything into Kore, and i was really surprised when they axed the product, which really proves to me that the company's management has no clue..

If Kore was axed, NO Native Instruments product is safe.. i expect FM, Absynth or Battery to be dropped any day now, for some cheesy sampled package...
What sad story..NI has gone from kings of electronic music production tools to basically becoming a vanilla samples production house