Mountain Lion

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
Rave
Posts: 6152
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:26 am

Re: Mountain Lion

Post by Rave » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:09 pm

I run a dual boot approach on my production machine i.e . Partition 1. LION for testing compatibility (which is still not there yet) and for general usage. 2. Snow Leopard for producing music.

steko
Posts: 3369
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: Mountain Lion

Post by steko » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:25 pm

Forge. wrote:BTW - does anyone know how to make finder look the same in Lion? I hate the way it is all grey and hard to see. I liked it how it was.
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/39654/lion-tweaks Haven't tested this (no Lion) - backup first...

http://pondini.org/OSX/LionChanges.html
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

Komodovaran
Posts: 985
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:20 am

Re: Mountain Lion

Post by Komodovaran » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:27 pm

By the way, FM8 and Massive both work just fine on Lion. :x If it doesn't, you're doing it wrong. Hell, even Traktor works. Anything by NI works. :x

Except their website. :x

LoopStationZebra
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Mountain Lion

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:35 pm

oslonovski wrote:Not that I am so excited about (Mountain)Lion, but it's kinda fucked up that a 3y. old machine won't boot
AWESOME pimped up version of fucking Lion with even more iCrap, while still be able to run it inside a virtual machine.
Oh well, I was planing to upgrade this year anyways and I hope SL support won't go away any time soon.

It says 2007 and earlier. Not sure how that affects your 3yr old machine??

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

oslonovski
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Mountain Lion

Post by oslonovski » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:20 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote: It says 2007 and earlier. Not sure how that affects your 3yr old machine??
:x
Early 2009 macbook 4.1 with 32bit EFI firmware and no 64bit graphics drivers.

Machinesworking
Posts: 11124
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Mountain Lion

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:31 pm

beats me wrote:The thing doesn’t drop for at least 4 months so there shouldn’t be any “but I just upgraded to Lion and can’t afford the $20 upgrade right now!!!”

And if developers are still struggling with Lion then they obviously haven’t made it a priority. Quit fantasizing your developer has a team of two dozen people that Apple keeps lobbing coding bombs at.

Shill.

Pants.

:x
More than three of my "developers" is only one guy.
Snow Leopard 4Lyfe!! \m/

oslonovski
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Mountain Lion

Post by oslonovski » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:18 pm

Oh and if you have an older but still perfectly working peace of hardware
with no 64bit drivers and no hope for the vendor to release one, you're fucked to.
Not that with osx there's a real need to run kernelspace stuff in 64-bit mode
to overcome limitations of 32-bit mapping with userspace applications.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Mountain Lion

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:07 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
beats me wrote:The thing doesn’t drop for at least 4 months so there shouldn’t be any “but I just upgraded to Lion and can’t afford the $20 upgrade right now!!!”

And if developers are still struggling with Lion then they obviously haven’t made it a priority. Quit fantasizing your developer has a team of two dozen people that Apple keeps lobbing coding bombs at.

Shill.

Pants.

:x
More than three of my "developers" is only one guy.
Snow Leopard 4Lyfe!! \m/

Well, much like Samoan babies, Lion has had a slow adoption rate so I guess I can see how it isn’t a high priority, but it’s OSX and developers should drop all other projects to make sure they are on top of Apple’s latest and greatest! :P :x

Forge.
Posts: 5792
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:16 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Mountain Lion

Post by Forge. » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:03 am

steko wrote:
Forge. wrote:BTW - does anyone know how to make finder look the same in Lion? I hate the way it is all grey and hard to see. I liked it how it was.
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/39654/lion-tweaks Haven't tested this (no Lion) - backup first...

http://pondini.org/OSX/LionChanges.html
great! thanks.

Machinesworking
Posts: 11124
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Mountain Lion

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:31 am

beats me wrote: Well, much like Samoan babies, Lion has had a slow adoption rate so I guess I can see how it isn’t a high priority, but it’s OSX and developers should drop all other projects to make sure they are on top of Apple’s latest and greatest! :P :x
Well you start coding great stand alone audio editors all by your lonesome and let me know how your imposed schedual works out for you.
At least two of them are OSX only so don't be starting any Windblow$ diatribes. :P

steko
Posts: 3369
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: Mountain Lion

Post by steko » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:36 am

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2012/ ... t-macs.ars
However, when we spoke to Apple, the company cautioned that Mountain Lion is still in the early stages of readying for release this summer, and so far those limits only apply to the developer preview. "It's still early, and the system requirements for the final version have not yet been determined," an Apple spokesperson told Ars.

That's no guarantee that some of the earlier 64-bit Intel Macs will be able to upgrade to Lion [sic!], but how exactly Apple will make the cutoff will most likely relate to the new graphics subsystem, and whether or not it can be backported to those models that are currently excluded. From the information we have, it seems technically possible, at least for some Mac Pros and MacBook Pros.
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

condra
Posts: 2753
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:03 pm
Location: Dublin
Contact:

Re: Mountain Lion

Post by condra » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:50 am

Can’t believe they are already planning for another OSX within about a year of the last one. From a business perspective, it makes sense due to the price of recent OSX versions: release sooner, more and make more cash. $29/yr instead of $129 every 2.5 years or so.

Even more daunting is how quickly the old hardware is now being jettisoned from OSX. 4yo machines are already unsupported. Horrible, but the extras these OS versions are bringing aren't world-shattering necessary for productivity; OSX is loading up with trinket functions (do we really need a separate calendar app, note app, and reminder app?) instead of spending time honing and improving their existing programs (some of which are bizarrely underdeveloped after a decade).

c’mon Apple

LoopStationZebra
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Mountain Lion

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:47 am

Yup. This is what happens WHEN STEVE JOBS DIES.

The Bloat is just beginning.

Game Center. omfg. I don't even know what is does on my iPad, but it pisses me off.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Mountain Lion

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:37 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Game Center. omfg. I don't even know what is does on my iPad, but it pisses me off.

:x

You’re not a gamer so you don’t know the huge sense of accomplishment you get when all your high scores and trophies are available for the world to bear witness. For anybody under the age of 25 these are the only proof of value and a life well lived. :x

LoopStationZebra
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Mountain Lion

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:52 pm

beats me wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:Game Center. omfg. I don't even know what is does on my iPad, but it pisses me off.

:x

You’re not a gamer so you don’t know the huge sense of accomplishment you get when all your high scores and trophies are available for the world to bear witness. For anybody under the age of 25 these are the only proof of value and a life well lived. :x


That response deserves no less than 4: :x :x :x :x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Post Reply