Aphex Twin uses Ableton Live! (shh, is a secret)

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
Capitan Mission
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:32 pm
Location: a llitle Brazilian beach, Buenos Aires or Patagonia Argentina
Contact:

Aphex Twin uses Ableton Live! (shh, is a secret)

Post by Capitan Mission » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:23 pm

Well, maybe you know that some electronic musicians are very secretive about their equipment, and Richard D. James, aka Aphex Twin is the king of "secretiveness" . But I was watching a new video of him playing an avant garde piece and he is using Live!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dph-bkJL_wM

It was in 2011, he was remotely conducting a orchestra via computers : )
Live! exploring sound space, taking inspiration from everithing. folk abstract pop classical

k-toh
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:29 pm
Location: Hants, UK
Contact:

Re: Aphex Twin uses Ableton Live! (shh, is a secret)

Post by k-toh » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:36 pm

Different 8)

pskept
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:58 pm
Location: here now

Re: Aphex Twin uses Ableton Live! (shh, is a secret)

Post by pskept » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:45 pm

this is wild and wonderful but i think his tool of choice is irrelevant as he could use a broken toaster to make better music than most.

k-toh
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:29 pm
Location: Hants, UK
Contact:

Re: Aphex Twin uses Ableton Live! (shh, is a secret)

Post by k-toh » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:12 pm

I don't think that makes it any less relevant, just shows us what can be acheived with our chosen tool :)

LoopStationZebra
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Aphex Twin uses Ableton Live! (shh, is a secret)

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:35 pm

I have obsolutely no fucking clue how this is all set up.... Are the musicians merely looking at the screen in place of a conductor for cues? wtf? lol.

Cool shit, though.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Capitan Mission
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:32 pm
Location: a llitle Brazilian beach, Buenos Aires or Patagonia Argentina
Contact:

Re: Aphex Twin uses Ableton Live! (shh, is a secret)

Post by Capitan Mission » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:38 pm

pskept wrote:this is wild and wonderful but i think his tool of choice is irrelevant as he could use a broken toaster to make better music than most.
Yes, absolutely, I love Aphex Twin, dont matter if he uses Live!, Logic, Hardware sequencer or a pocket calculator, but I find it cool that he uses the same tool that I use.
Live! exploring sound space, taking inspiration from everithing. folk abstract pop classical

stringtapper
Posts: 6271
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: Aphex Twin uses Ableton Live! (shh, is a secret)

Post by stringtapper » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:41 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:I have obsolutely no fucking clue how this is all set up.... Are the musicians merely playing their parts on autopilot without the need of a conductor like most ensembles? wtf? lol.
I wondered the same.
Unsound Designer

Homebelly
Posts: 2887
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:52 pm
Location: Aotearoa New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Aphex Twin uses Ableton Live! (shh, is a secret)

Post by Homebelly » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:11 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:I have obsolutely no fucking clue how this is all set up.... Are the musicians merely looking at the screen in place of a conductor for cues? wtf? lol.

Cool shit, though.

:x
I believe he is using a customized version of angry birds.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

LoopStationZebra
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Aphex Twin uses Ableton Live! (shh, is a secret)

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:17 pm

stringtapper wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:I have obsolutely no fucking clue how this is all set up.... Are the musicians merely playing their parts on autopilot without the need of a conductor like most ensembles? wtf? lol.
I wondered the same.

I see what you did there. :lol: :x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Aphex Twin uses Ableton Live! (shh, is a secret)

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:18 pm

Homebelly wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:I have obsolutely no fucking clue how this is all set up.... Are the musicians merely looking at the screen in place of a conductor for cues? wtf? lol.

Cool shit, though.

:x
I believe he is using a customized version of angry birds.

:lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

pskept
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:58 pm
Location: here now

Re: Aphex Twin uses Ableton Live! (shh, is a secret)

Post by pskept » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:38 pm

Capitan Mission wrote:Yes, absolutely, I love Aphex Twin, dont matter if he uses Live!, Logic, Hardware sequencer or a pocket calculator, but I find it cool that he uses the same tool that I use.
k-toh wrote:I don't think that makes it any less relevant, just shows us what can be acheived with our chosen tool :)
so true!

ikeaboy
Posts: 1684
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Aphex Twin uses Ableton Live! (shh, is a secret)

Post by ikeaboy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:13 pm

stringtapper wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:I have obsolutely no fucking clue how this is all set up.... Are the musicians merely playing their parts on autopilot without the need of a conductor like most ensembles? wtf? lol.
I wondered the same.
I imagine his changes to sequences are instantly output to the musicians screen as score. I love aphex twin to the extent of being unable to talk to him when I met him once :oops: I wasn't mad about this experiment sound-wise but I like the possibilities it suggests.

pskept
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:58 pm
Location: here now

Re: Aphex Twin uses Ableton Live! (shh, is a secret)

Post by pskept » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:06 pm

ikeaboy wrote:I love aphex twin to the extent of being unable to talk to him when I met him once :oops:
at demf i've stood beside more techno gods than i can count and maintained composure just fine but (embarrassingly) rdj is the only person who would have me feeling starstruck and shy when meeting.
ikeaboy wrote:If you think a little too much about electronic music
i do.
ikeaboy wrote:maybe take a read of my blog
i did and i enjoyed it! i'll keep reading.

ikeaboy
Posts: 1684
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:38 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Aphex Twin uses Ableton Live! (shh, is a secret)

Post by ikeaboy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:01 pm

pskept wrote:
ikeaboy wrote:I love aphex twin to the extent of being unable to talk to him when I met him once :oops:
at demf i've stood beside more techno gods than i can count and maintained composure just fine but (embarrassingly) rdj is the only person who would have me feeling starstruck and shy when meeting.
ikeaboy wrote:If you think a little too much about electronic music
i do.
ikeaboy wrote:maybe take a read of my blog
i did and i enjoyed it! i'll keep reading.
I've always been crap at meeting people who's music I really love. I met Radioactiveman loads of times, he even had me over for a gig, and i still acted like a plonker every time out of some weird 'compensate for the fact you think he's deadly by being a bit of a prick' style shite.

Thanks for having a look at the blog, please keep reading I'm putting some new posts soon and I'll get the RSS thing sorted as soon as I figure out how its done.

Capitan Mission
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:32 pm
Location: a llitle Brazilian beach, Buenos Aires or Patagonia Argentina
Contact:

Re: Aphex Twin uses Ableton Live! (shh, is a secret)

Post by Capitan Mission » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:47 pm

ikeaboy wrote: I've always been crap at meeting people who's music I really love. I met Radioactiveman loads of times, he even had me over for a gig, and i still acted like a plonker every time out of some weird 'compensate for the fact you think he's deadly by being a bit of a prick' style shite.

Thanks for having a look at the blog, please keep reading I'm putting some new posts soon and I'll get the RSS thing sorted as soon as I figure out how its done.
I've acted very "normal" the times I met people that I admire, I have more problems with standar people : )
BUT, if I find Richard D. James or Bob Dylan I dunno, that's in another level.
I've been reading your blog also, good work!
Live! exploring sound space, taking inspiration from everithing. folk abstract pop classical

Post Reply