stubhub has taken ticket scalping to the extrememe!!!!!!!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
nathannn

Re: stubhub has taken ticket scalping to the extrememe!!!!!!!

Post by nathannn » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:09 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:I'm like 'who the fuck are all these people I've never seen before'. Then I saw David's post. :lol:
our carriage seems to have broken a wheel on your land, we will be out of here as soon as the wheel is fixed, we can pay you, in exchange you dont rape our cattle.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:20 pm

Sage wrote:
nathannn wrote:why would some one not want to see this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czhA9ow0ZFE
Just always seen her as a second rate Bat For Lashes/Gabby Young & Other Animals (Who was doing the dyed red hair and general image & sound a long time before).
you cant write music like florence (or the machine, whoever is writing the music) and be second rate. it takes years of practice/ a lot of people, to write and arrange really good songs.
as for her image yeah her hair color is not real and her wardrobe is inspired by stevie nicks.

all that said i cant listen to there music all the time, its too dramatic... i can however listen to m83 all the time!! :D :D :D
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:38 pm

The music could be brilliant and beautiful but going by the name + the wiki + pictures, a blowjob from a truckstop whore seems more appealing. Unless it's all satire, then a handjob will do.
ImageImage

Sage

Post by Sage » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:44 pm

nathannn wrote:
Sage wrote:
nathannn wrote:why would some one not want to see this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czhA9ow0ZFE
Just always seen her as a second rate Bat For Lashes/Gabby Young & Other Animals (Who was doing the dyed red hair and general image & sound a long time before).
you cant write music like florence (or the machine, whoever is writing the music) and be second rate. it takes years of practice/ a lot of people, to write and arrange really good songs.
as for her image yeah her hair color is not real and her wardrobe is inspired by stevie nicks.

all that said i cant listen to there music all the time, its too dramatic... i can however listen to m83 all the time!! :D :D :D
I love M83!

First time I heard her would have been this I think - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq7cCFOriys
Very different to how she'll be marketed in the USA :lol:
BFL released Fur & Gold in late 2006 and was far more together and was a bit different at the time I guess - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ult1GPXZJWA So found Florance a bit lame when she first appeared, she might be better now, just not paid much attention.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:50 pm

Eh, not so bad but still meh. Can't touch B4L though.
ImageImage

chicagorox

Post by chicagorox » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:36 pm

That just proves the whole argument of our society being a collection of sheeple true.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:24 pm

Which "that"

Funny thing about "sheeple" is that everyone thinks everyone else are sheeple and they're discluded:p
ImageImage

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:06 pm

Back to legalized ticket scalping. It's fucked IMO. Florence tickets were sold out around here and the cheapest ticket was $200 for the worst seats. $500 for floor and $1000 for the first 5 rows... per ticket. Almost every band that plays around here sells out within a couple weeks and then tickets are 3-20x as much as face value. For big bands that play stadiums it actually is a nice service since there's lots of competition, but for small to medium venues it makes going to a show ridiculously expensive because there's only 2,000 seats and most people did buy their tickets, meaning less competition...

Worst part about the whole thing though is that this mainly happens to the small/med venue artist and almost all of the ticket money is going to scalpers and stubhub instead of the artist. Obviously the demand is there, but they CHOSE not to charge $200 a ticket for a reason and leaving room for someone else to profit is probably pretty low on the reasoning behind this.

Sorry for the rant, just sick of scalping...
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:42 pm

You're not the only one. Stubhubs got a stranglehold. The best thing to do is not give them your money.
Yes, you'll miss a show, but is it really going to be worth that much along with helping stubhub as a business?
ImageImage

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:25 pm

i wish everyone would do this ^^

no computers or synths

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:49 pm

I used to pick up 2 parfaits from McD's for 2.22 almost every day for almost a year. It's the only thing I used to go to McD's for (they're not bad)!.
This particular McDs was the one right across from the OWS protests.
When the OWS protests were at it's peak, McD's raised their prices. Hell, lots of places did. Sure, 2 parfaits went up to like 2.64, nothing huge, but it's the principal. Raising prices when protests over this are going on across the street? FUCK YOU.
The Pepsi machine upstairs used to be .75 which is relatively cheap compared to other machines in this vicinity. It went up to 1.25.
I took this is being laughed at and given the finger.
So since then the Pepsi machine and McD's don't get my money. Of course they're still there, and people still give them money.
But still, as an example, what better way to say fuck you to a company that says fuck you is to not give them your money? Are you really going to suffer? You may not be able to boycott everything, but if it's trivial....
BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT
ImageImage

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:04 pm

What are the alternatives? I'd imagine bands and management aren't very happy about scalpers getting a big slice of the pie.
What are bands doing to curtail this?

Reserve seats and show ID for your seats and your guests at the door? Release unwanted tickets to be resold for face at the gate?

Any bands or venues got any good ideas or is it out of their hands?

Vios

Post by Vios » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:47 pm

I think there are a lot of factors at work. Most venue owners know that it's a good long term strategy to price really big shows to sell out. Why? Because it's part of the experience people look for when going to a concert - "That metal concert was F'n awesome! I jumped in the mosh pit, I got punched in the face, it was A-W-E-S-O-M-E." If he'd gone to a half full concert that guy wouldn't have had the same experience and probably wouldn't want to go to that venue again. Also venue owners don't want to take the risk of having too high of ticket prices and not be able to sell a show. They'd rather earn a little less money on ticket prices and be sure they can sell a show than charge too much and not sell many tickets.

Another piece is it's social. If you're a huge fan, you're probably the guy clicking the link 1000 times at 7:59:59pm to be sure you get the very first ticket at exactly 8pm. Then you tell everyone you know you're going, and a few friends buy tickets. Suddenly there's a friend who doesn't have a ticket and they don't want to be the person that misses out. They're willing to spend a lot more not to miss out on being with their friends.

I may be playing Devil's advocate, but what I objectively think is happening is: Venues aren't making as much money as they could be from ticket sales, so what happens is scalpers come into the market to take that bit of potential profit. If you look at an event like Ultra Music Festival, they seem to have a strategy that both maximizes their profit and reduces scalping. They start with a relatively expensive price, probably 6 months before the event, and then slowly increase the price incrementally until close to the event ticket, at which point prices are probably 50% to 75% up from where they started. There's not much demand for tickets at higher prices, so there's not as much money to be made scalping, so less of it occurs. I don't know why more venue owners haven't looked at their supply/demand curves and realized they could be making more money by increasing prices. Maybe it's because they haven't studied economics?

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:32 am

i always thought a band rents out the venue and charges what they want.
the issue for me is pre sales or internet sales.
there wouldn't be as much of a problem with ticket scalping if they just sold tickets at the door.
like i already said though bands dont lose out when it comes to ticket scalping, every show sells out.
the venue doesn't lose anything when it comes to scalping because the place has been rented out at a set price.
even if the band is getting paid only on ticket sales from the venue it self neither are losing.
the only one losing out is the fan.
i dont think the reason for concerts selling out so fast is because there are so many actual fans all online at the same time clicking away with the hopes of getting at ticket. either its scalpers using bots or some one like ticket master itself scalping the tickets.

no computers or synths

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:07 pm

nathannn wrote:i always thought a band rents out the venue and charges what they want.
the issue for me is pre sales or internet sales.
there wouldn't be as much of a problem with ticket scalping if they just sold tickets at the door.
like i already said though bands dont lose out when it comes to ticket scalping, every show sells out.
the venue doesn't lose anything when it comes to scalping because the place has been rented out at a set price.
even if the band is getting paid only on ticket sales from the venue it self neither are losing.
the only one losing out is the fan.
i dont think the reason for concerts selling out so fast is because there are so many actual fans all online at the same time clicking away with the hopes of getting at ticket. either its scalpers using bots or some one like ticket master itself scalping the tickets.
Yeah, typically a venue will get a flat rate from each ticket. For 1000 person shows this is usually in the range of $2-3, plus the profit from drinks.

I disagree that the bands aren't losing out. They definitely are. It's profit that 'should' be going to them, not to some no talent scalper who simply bought 10 tickets and resold them.

The band loses and the fans lose... is there really anything more important than those two things?
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent