Ableton and Windows 8

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
MatthewNowacki

Ableton and Windows 8

Post by MatthewNowacki » Tue May 08, 2012 3:10 am

Does Ableton work on the Windows 8 preview? Im getting a new laptop and installing it when i get it along with my Ableton live lite and i was wondering about it.
My Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/matthewnowacki

Open for Collaboration

Im a freelance :D

Have Ableton live 8 lite.
Also use FL Studio.

3dot...

Re: Ableton and Windows 8

Post by 3dot... » Sat May 12, 2012 1:38 pm

yep. seems to works fine.

Linear Phase

Post by Linear Phase » Sat May 12, 2012 3:02 pm

3dot... wrote:yep. seems to works fine.
How is Windows 8, do you like it?
Linear Phase has left the building..

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat May 12, 2012 3:44 pm

nothing special.. a simple progression from win7

not using the 'metro' part AT ALL..
(I'm not too big on the full-screen experience on my desktop)
so I can do without it..
it may come in handy when I get a touchscreen..

besides that it feels as solid as win7.. I've had no compatibility issues..
upgrading was easy and went without a hitch...

as most of the new stuff is simply geared towards touch-friendly devices..
I'm probably gonna stay on win7 until I get a touchscreen..

golemus

Post by golemus » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:35 pm

More experiences now that the final version has been already out for a month or so..? (although still not published officially)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:02 pm

+ 1 to more experiences. Please. :idea:

i almost bought a new laptop that would have had the free upgrade to 8... but i was hypnotized by a 27" iMac on the way to the register. it sang its iSiren song and the next thing i knew i was broke and went from power user to 'iDunno'.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:41 pm

Aside from Metro, what are the advantages/changes/gimmicks from 7 to 8?

djenix1

Post by djenix1 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:27 am

I installed Windows 8 32bit but right now I am running into a problem with Ableton I downloaded live and it goes through the set up and everything. But when It comes to the end where it automatically lauches Live., Nothing Happens I've never had this much trouble installing it before with previous versions of windows. Does anyone have any Idea whats going on???

tone61

Post by tone61 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:08 pm

3dot... wrote: as most of the new stuff is simply geared towards touch-friendly devices..
I'm probably gonna stay on win7 until I get a touchscreen..
And for people who intend to get some touchscreen device it's good to know there's Windows8 and Windows8 RT which uses different kind of CPU and is NOT compatible with earlier Windows SW.
So when deciding which device to get makes sense to check the OS in case compatibility means something.

claydough25

Post by claydough25 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:26 am

UGH Im having windows 8 problems... for one thing I cant use any midi devices that arnt in abletons control surfaces list... I used to be able to just select :none but nonono not on WIN 8... Anyone able to get this to work? Ive read that everyone has this problem...

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:48 am

what's the onboard audio situation - do you still have to use ASIO4all?

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:52 am

scutheotaku wrote:Apparently Windows 8's memory usage is notably lower than Windows 7; I've heard 14 to 20% lower.

HATEFUL LIES>

:lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:42 am

Live 8 64bit runs flawless on Windows 8 64bit
Plugins and samples load a little faster on windows 8 than they did on Win 7
Plugins take up less CPU. Also games are 5fps faster.

Windows 8s processes were joined into fewer processes so they use nearly as much ram but because their is fewer it's less messing around for the CPU to run them.

windows 8s icons and GUI was simplified into PNG style graphics so that they take up less RAM and are faster to load and change.

Windows 8 boots on more than one CPU core making it faster than Windows 7 for reboots.

windows 8 is compatible with the PC version of Kinnect.

Windows 8 is compatible with XBOX 360 code so Xbox games only need a little modification to run on PC Pinball FX 2 for example although not all tables are available yet just 20 of them. Games companies are very slow releasing XBOX 360 games to Windows 8 store so don't get exited about this.

windows 8 has a list when you CTRL + ALT + Delete which shows start up list of programmes you can select to always boot disabled such as the extra crap Apple installs with iTunes saving some CPU and RAM.

The only NAGs are theirs no DVD playback encoder but that's sooo 2008 anyway and you have to use two desktops one is the normal Win 7 desktop the other is the Start menu desktop both are running at the same time you use window key to toggle between them. Tab key shows all the windows open and ALT + F4 closes a selected app you have open.

windows 8 comes with microsofts anti virus software installed it takes up around 3MB of RAM and has so far bloked all viruses in the last four months.

So rock solid no problems with drivers or viruses ilok runs perfect. Creative X-FI Titanium runs perfect. jbridge works running 32bit plugs in Live 8 64bit. Novation SLMKII and automap 4 work.

Always launch Live in Administrator mode on any Windows OS otherwise it can get stuck trying to load or crashes when a third party plugin is opened.

grymmjack

Post by grymmjack » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:46 am

Also, if you're running Windows 8 get Start8 from stardock.

I've recently bought a new machine here with Win 8 Pro 64 bit and it's been awesome. But Start8 makes it .. erm... awesomer :) giving back the start menu and logging me right into desktop. It's basically how it should have been without needing metro at all.

Live 8 runs really well with 64 bit. Live 9 had better be 64 bit and better give us back Max 4 Live. I was stunned to learn that Live 8 64 bit does not support Max 4 Live. WTF :)

Live 9 is going to be 64 bit yes? With MAX 6 like functions in M4L? I crossgraded to the full MAX assuming I could use MAX6 like functions in M4L but no such luck.

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:46 pm

I just got Live 9 beta it can be installed as 32bit or 64bit and it uses all CPU cores running a mix of 7 tracks that's all 8 threads of my i7 showing in task managers as fully in use.