Quitting job and get 100% into music, anyone did it?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
evaodland

Re: Quitting job and get 100% into music, anyone did it?

Post by evaodland » Wed May 16, 2012 2:55 pm

I guess....I can comment on the original question. I left my home state with $50 and my guitar and amp in 1985 and went to Minneapolis with dream of being a musician. Yeah I got in a band, yeah we played gigs, yeah we almost got famous and rubbed elbows with a lot of now famous people....but I had to keep working. For a time I was always prepared to drop everything and go on the road. It was hard ad after ten years of that and never being able to string enough gigs together to go on the road...I kept working. Just know that you might have to take a chance to advance...don't pass up a genuine opportunity...

do what makes you happy and makes you a better musician. Live life so you have no regrets later...

gjm

Post by gjm » Wed May 16, 2012 8:20 pm

supamonsta wrote:indeed , I'm thinking of at least 2 other activities :

- getting back to drawing and painting (I was kind of talented when younger, then ditched it for music as I had no time to keep on both while making my student course)

- learning "bricolage" ...... writing, drawing or composition...
Hi supamonsta

These comments are interesting. Firstly they reveal that your intention is to NOT do music 100%. My pick is that you are dreaming of a more broader creative existence in life. There is key information you have not shared. Either you know these details and are just keeping them from us (which is understandable) or you actually do not know what you want, other than a change. Its probably a combination of the both. The second being that you do not have all the words you need to express an inner desire to make changes to the way your life is unfolding. Be honest with yourself. Can you see yourself doing what you are currently doing for the next 25-30 years? Will you be satisfied with a journey of that length that may not vary much from your current experience? It is more than likely that you can identify with a strong inner urge to live a life that is 'deeper' than you are currently experiencing.

Retirement can be a very busy time, often so busy that people find themselves still rushing around feeling like they never have enough time to do what they want to do.

A major challenge for some is to add a layer of meaning to their lives that they do not currently have. Experiencing regular acts of creativity can lead a person to a better understanding of themselves and help shape their concepts of spirituality. Many people believe that they cannot have this type of experience because of their current relationships and circumstances. Often a big shift is needed to break out of restricting patterns and habits. Be aware though that you can easily fill up your new life with the same old experiences, just different faces and walls.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed May 23, 2012 12:13 pm

gjm wrote:
supamonsta wrote:indeed , I'm thinking of at least 2 other activities :

- getting back to drawing and painting (I was kind of talented when younger, then ditched it for music as I had no time to keep on both while making my student course)

- learning "bricolage" ...... writing, drawing or composition...
Hi supamonsta

These comments are interesting. Firstly they reveal that your intention is to NOT do music 100%. My pick is that you are dreaming of a more broader creative existence in life. There is key information you have not shared. Either you know these details and are just keeping them from us (which is understandable) or you actually do not know what you want, other than a change. Its probably a combination of the both. The second being that you do not have all the words you need to express an inner desire to make changes to the way your life is unfolding. Be honest with yourself. Can you see yourself doing what you are currently doing for the next 25-30 years? Will you be satisfied with a journey of that length that may not vary much from your current experience? It is more than likely that you can identify with a strong inner urge to live a life that is 'deeper' than you are currently experiencing.

Retirement can be a very busy time, often so busy that people find themselves still rushing around feeling like they never have enough time to do what they want to do.

A major challenge for some is to add a layer of meaning to their lives that they do not currently have. Experiencing regular acts of creativity can lead a person to a better understanding of themselves and help shape their concepts of spirituality. Many people believe that they cannot have this type of experience because of their current relationships and circumstances. Often a big shift is needed to break out of restricting patterns and habits. Be aware though that you can easily fill up your new life with the same old experiences, just different faces and walls.
man that's a really good post.. it shows you know what you're talking about...

I think another great addition is that you're gonna NEED to REALLY want it..
to the point of obsession..
and be willing to work very hard for it!!! (more than the others)

don't take ANY time off if you quit your job... it's really easy to do when unemployed..
you're gonna have to face that..

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Wed May 23, 2012 3:02 pm

Hi supamonsta

These comments are interesting. Firstly they reveal that your intention is to NOT do music 100%. My pick is that you are dreaming of a more broader creative existence in life. There is key information you have not shared. Either you know these details and are just keeping them from us (which is understandable) or you actually do not know what you want, other than a change. Its probably a combination of the both.
well, these side activities are the ones I thought of when some of you said that I'll have to have other activities. If I don't get back to drawing, or never learn bricolage, I think I can live with it. But I agree with you when you say I may do not know what I want... that's my all-life problem...

The second being that you do not have all the words you need to express an inner desire to make changes to the way your life is unfolding. Be honest with yourself. Can you see yourself doing what you are currently doing for the next 25-30 years? Will you be satisfied with a journey of that length that may not vary much from your current experience? It is more than likely that you can identify with a strong inner urge to live a life that is 'deeper' than you are currently experiencing.
well.... interesting thoughts, and I can't answer right now... that's my all-life problem :lol:

Be aware though that you can easily fill up your new life with the same old experiences, just different faces and walls.
I'm absolutely aware of that fact. But you're right to say it again. Maybe that fact is part of my inner resistancies... I KNOW that I won't be a different man if in a different situation... sad but true

thanks again