looks like dom joined bitwig. we remember dom dont we?

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
nathannn

Re: looks like dom joined bitwig. we remember dom dont we?

Post by nathannn » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:48 am

seriously, some one from Beijing is creeped out by this?
i thought that place the home of creepy?
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:13 am

nathannn wrote:maybe he is nice guy in person. :?
He is nice indeed, last of the crew that I happened to know personally, respect and like a lot. I was actually shocked to see such hardcore Abletonian to jump the ship, is the situation @ Ableton so hopeless? Judging by the sad facts, and not new users/fanboys hopes and dreams expressed on the forum, Ableton drove into the blind alley. Bitwig is definitely not a clone but might be what Live`s longtime users need and want.

arctic ranger

Post by arctic ranger » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:30 am

rikhyray wrote:
nathannn wrote:maybe he is nice guy in person. :?
He is nice indeed, last of the crew that I happened to know personally, respect and like a lot. I was actually shocked to see such hardcore Abletonian to jump the ship, is the situation @ Ableton so hopeless? Judging by the sad facts, and not new users/fanboys hopes and dreams expressed on the forum, Ableton drove into the blind alley. Bitwig is definitely not a clone but might be what Live`s longtime users need and want.
Show us the money baby!
mpb c2d, remote sl, mpc1000, korg legacy, zebra 2, phoscyon, devastator

http://soundcloud.com/enrock/first-edit

cpyatak

Post by cpyatak » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:49 pm

nathannn wrote:seriously, some one from Beijing is creeped out by this?
i thought that place the home of creepy?
Come on, going bald isn't THAT creepy. Right guys? Right? Guys? Anyone?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:01 am

rikhyray wrote:Bitwig is definitely not a clone but might be what Live`s longtime users need and want.
I think it's early days for that though surely. As good as it may be (and it seems very well featured for a v1 of anything) there's bound to be things missing. Yet I've seen people saying things like "I can't wait for this bug-free version of Ableton to come out with all these great new features we asked for". And suchlike. Which seems massively over-optimistic to the borders of fantasyland.

I'm sure that as fantastic as this new software might be, it can't be all things to all people - it's bound to lack something, and it just cannot be bug-free in the sense that music software users seem to expect. Which means always loading all VST / AU plugins without issue ever and on any system under three different OSes ...it must never have a brain fart.
People seem to be expecting PDC miracles, DJ majesty, Lower latency, you name it they expect it.
On version one?

I'm looking forward to trying this thing out, but really "what Live users need and want" covers a lot of functional ground. We are many, and varied, and so are our setups.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:28 am

Angstrom wrote: As good as it may be (and it seems very well featured for a v1 of anything) there's bound to be things missing.
I'm sure that as fantastic as this new software might be, it can't be all things to all people - it's bound to lack something, and it just cannot be bug-free in the sense that music software users seem to expect. Which means always loading all VST / AU plugins without issue ever and on any system under three different OSes
Agreed but Ableton made it rather easy for any competitors with the release of ver.8, it hardly gets any worse then what is happening or rather not happening with Live as software and Ableton as company.

Linear Phase

Post by Linear Phase » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:18 pm

Well, I hope Live 9 is awesome.. I just don't like copies like that. Its like going to see Lethal Weapon, but the movie is titled, "Suicidal Crazy Cop." You know what I mean..
Linear Phase has left the building..

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:49 pm

I don't see how you guys don't think this is a rebrand. Headquarters in the same friggin city, almost identical devices (look at that compressor on the home page screen shot!!!) "But Daaaaviiid, they could have just looked at Live for some inspirationnnn!" Bullshit, the whole setup is almost identical. Looks like they put the browser on the opposite side just to throw us off. I think its clear they are piecing together old bits of programming from Live in order to save development costs and maintain a quicker timeframe. Potentially developers for Ableton working on it, no new Live upgrade in 3 years, absolutely no response from anyone about when we can expect an upgrade. Live is dead.

I just hope we all get free "upgrades."
https://soundcloud.com/unearthproductions
beats me wrote:everybody around you thinks you’re a fucking idiot.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:13 pm

DangerousDave wrote:I just hope we all get free "upgrades."
this is where you post went south.
DangerousDave wrote:I just hope we can all afford the "upgrades."
fixed.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:19 am

DangerousDave wrote:I don't see how you guys don't think this is a rebrand. Headquarters in the same friggin city, almost identical devices (look at that compressor on the home page screen shot!!!) "But Daaaaviiid, they could have just looked at Live for some inspirationnnn!" Bullshit, the whole setup is almost identical. Looks like they put the browser on the opposite side just to throw us off. I think its clear they are piecing together old bits of programming from Live in order to save development costs and maintain a quicker timeframe. Potentially developers for Ableton working on it, no new Live upgrade in 3 years, absolutely no response from anyone about when we can expect an upgrade. Live is dead.

it looks like you have only been around here since 2009, bitwig was brought to everyone's attention here back in june of 2009 just two months after the release of live 8. how would any one at ableton know that live 8 would be so "bad" that they would need to start a new company.in reality the company bitwig was probably in development way before live 9 was released
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=116571&start=0&hilit=bitwig
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:08 am

nathannn wrote:
DangerousDave wrote:I don't see how you guys don't think this is a rebrand. Headquarters in the same friggin city, almost identical devices (look at that compressor on the home page screen shot!!!) "But Daaaaviiid, they could have just looked at Live for some inspirationnnn!" Bullshit, the whole setup is almost identical. Looks like they put the browser on the opposite side just to throw us off. I think its clear they are piecing together old bits of programming from Live in order to save development costs and maintain a quicker timeframe. Potentially developers for Ableton working on it, no new Live upgrade in 3 years, absolutely no response from anyone about when we can expect an upgrade. Live is dead.

it looks like you have only been around here since 2009, bitwig was brought to everyone's attention here back in june of 2009 just two months after the release of live 8. how would any one at ableton know that live 8 would be so "bad" that they would need to start a new company.in reality the company bitwig was probably in development way before live 9 was released
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=116571&start=0&hilit=bitwig
I see where you are going with this, and to an extent I agree, you may be right. I don't necessarily think this means its not a Live offshoot though. People could have been fed up with the way the company was handling or something (like its goddamn outrageous pricing scheme :wink: ) right after the release (maybe they were pissed during development but were somewhat obligated to stick with it until they put a product out?) so then people bailed/they were in need of a new direction or something and decided time is nigh for a facelift. I know, lots of speculation, I'm probably full of shit but damn its just too close to not be fishy.

And H20, haha you're right, I loled.
https://soundcloud.com/unearthproductions
beats me wrote:everybody around you thinks you’re a fucking idiot.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:35 am

What blows me away more than the rampant speculation about Bitwig is shit like this?

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2012/ ... 2012-poll/

60 fucking people voted a DAW that isn't out, wasn't even beta then the best DAW?
Seriously? how stupid are people?

andydes

Post by andydes » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:53 am

Ok, David. So they set up a new company and moved half their staff into a new hq. Was this also a cost cutting exercise?

Now they plan to ditch a highly successful brand, along with all the deals and contracts they've made with just about everyone in the industry so they can start again with a product that's just bits and pieces of old ableton code?

Wouldn't it be easier to just release an upgrade. Call it live 9 or something?

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:01 am

DangerousDave wrote: People could have been fed up with the way the company was handling or something (like its goddamn outrageous pricing scheme :wink: ) right after the release
Most probably the fraction of geeks & nerds @ Ableton forced their alienated, from music production and performance reality , ideas which led to Live ver.8 disaster and as consequence possible end of Live and Ableton. Those who opposed, aware of possible technical and economical consequences left timely. What we see so far, GUI etc it is just more intelligent, better version of Live. That is one of the most attractive aspects, shifting to the new DAW can be easy unlike going from Cubase or Logic to Studio One, when you need weeks or months to get used to new worlfloew.
Ableton f...d up big time, 2 and half years ago I was personally told that 64 bit update is a matter of months, yet they cant even make the 32 version working properly. I suppose people like Dom leave instead of being on the street some months later when company becomes insolvent.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:26 pm

Machinesworking wrote:What blows me away more than the rampant speculation about Bitwig is shit like this?

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2012/ ... 2012-poll/

60 fucking people voted a DAW that isn't out, wasn't even beta then the best DAW?
Seriously? how stupid are people?
I confess ... I voted for Bitwig on that poll!

I thought it was funny, I'm that easily amused.
The poll was so ridiculous and pointless that I thought the only sensible response was not sensible.