Flush Obama

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Re: Flush Obama

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:33 pm

I think we should tax the fuck out of unhealthy food to help pay for national health care. Want a Happy Meal? $15. There’s no justifiable reason that unhealthy eating should also be the cheapest. :x

cpyatak

Post by cpyatak » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:37 pm

beats me wrote:I think we should tax the fuck out of unhealthy food to help pay for national health care. Want a Happy Meal? $15. There’s no justifiable reason that unhealthy eating should also be the cheapest. :x
+1

Like cigarettes. (and I, unfortunately, am still a smoker. ugh. :roll: )

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:54 pm

I’ve been bouncing back and forth with quitting smoking for the past several months and with the patch it’s mostly been successful. The only hiccups have been drinking with my roommate who smokes and has no intention of quitting. :x

My reasons for quitting go in the following order.

1. Cost – I now put about $300 or so into my savings every month which I figure I would have spent on smokes.

2. Smell – I felt like a reeked constantly but couldn’t really notice myself which made me extremely self-conscious around non smokes, which is most people now a days.

3. Health – I haven’t lived the healthiest of lifestyles and am reaching the age when it’s payback time

cpyatak

Post by cpyatak » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:01 pm

beats me wrote:I’ve been bouncing back and forth with quitting smoking for the past several months and with the patch it’s mostly been successful. The only hiccups have been drinking with my roommate who smokes and has no intention of quitting. :x

My reasons for quitting go in the following order.

1. Cost – I now put about $300 or so into my savings every month which I figure I would have spent on smokes.

2. Smell – I felt like a reeked constantly but couldn’t really notice myself which made me extremely self-conscious around non smokes, which is most people now a days.

3. Health – I haven’t lived the healthiest of lifestyles and am reaching the age when it’s payback time
Yes,
Yes,
and Yes.

I have losenges which work but my sticking point is the habit. Just gotta grow a set and put up with it, I guess.

I would add to #2 -- There's nowhere to smoke comfortably. I try to be a considerate/conscientious smoker and not be too close to non smokers particularly children when I smoke, but generally that ends up with me hiding in the bushes somewhere which really isn't relaxing. So what's so good about this shit?

Congrats on getting the upper hand with smoking butts, beats. Keep it up. I'm on my way...

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:27 pm

cpyatak wrote:I would add to #2 -- There's nowhere to smoke comfortably. I try to be a considerate/conscientious smoker and not be too close to non smokers particularly children when I smoke, but generally that ends up with me hiding in the bushes somewhere which really isn't relaxing. So what's so good about this shit?

Congrats on getting the upper hand with smoking butts, beats. Keep it up. I'm on my way...

Hell yeah. Even when I was in Seattle which has to be the most smokingest city in this country I still felt like a filthy human. I was even dodging other smokers on the streets reflexively.

I really want to pursue a healthier lifestyle because I think it will help improve my general mood. Despite the addictive properties I think quitting smoking is the easiest part of the plan. Don’t smoke. Done.

Then there’s healthier eating but there’s a huge list of things you shouldn’t eat and a tiny list of things you should, and specific diet plans often contradict each other on what to eat and not to eat. Right now my main constant towards that is no soda.

Then there’s exercising. What to do and how much? I’d like to see some results and not just do some exercise to add more time to my twilight years, but results based exercise programs are just as confusing as healthy eating...and I loath gyms.

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:37 pm

About 2 months ago I bought a small pair of dumbbells, and just used them every night before I went to bed.

2 months I couldn't do a single pushup. Not one. Now I'm gradually climbing upwards of 20-30 in one go. The results are pretty amazing, after a couple of months when all I've been doing is some miniscule weight lifting for about 10 minutes every evening, in my room, before going to bed.

Almost every day my food consists of minced pork, beans and rice, prepared in 6714 different ways. The perfect balance between healthy and cheap, when you're a student who has to afford Apple products on top of all :P And I still drink beer, and many other things. In large quantities. :x Hell, it's even been proven that a beer a day can actually be good for you.

tl;dr don't buy into all the hype of personalized tailored training schemes. If you stick with something you'll actually see plenty of improvement pretty fast. Don't be afraid to eat. Just resist temptation. And fuck gyms. They're too mainstream, and there are too many steroids.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:55 pm

Here’s the counter intuitive fact I’m dealing with. I’m actually gaining/retaining weight because I’m not eating enough. The older man body is highly inefficient and if you do something as simple as skip lunch regularly your body goes into starvation mode and thinks it’s got to store fat. :x

The exercise routine that peaks my interest the most is bodyweight strength training, basically no weights or machines involved. If it’s good enough for Special Forces then it should be good enough for me. I remember years ago a friend on leave from the Navy was staying over and his workout routine involved nothing more than an exercise mat. But it’s all almost pointless if I’m not eating properly or enough. :x

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:40 pm

beats me wrote:Here’s the counter intuitive fact I’m dealing with. I’m actually gaining/retaining weight because I’m not eating enough. The older man body is highly inefficient and if you do something as simple as skip lunch regularly your body goes into starvation mode and thinks it’s got to store fat. :x
Oh, that sucks. Dinner is probably the only full meal I get. Otherwise I survive on a piece of bread and a fruit for the rest of the day.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:04 pm

Anyhow, I’m talking about taking personal and preventative responsibility for your own health which the right is adamantly against and they’re also against paying for the results of not taking that personal responsibility. Fucking assholes. :x

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:38 am

LoopStationZebra wrote: Fast and Furious was so unbelievably bizarre and fucked up that it truly boggles the mind. The coverup and the fuckedupedness behind it is now being compared to Watergate. Rightfully so.

With the exception that nobody died during Watergate, but a border agent and 300 Mexican civilians lost their lives over the gun swap/bait/whatTheFuck move.
Agree with the rest of your post on this, and thanks for the John Stewart clip, good to see him be non partisan in his stance on executive privilege.

I don't agree at all that it's like Watergate though, it's much closer to Iran-Contra but republicans not surprisingly would rather tie it to a non violent criminal act than one that makes them look just as bad. The other big thing with this is it doesn't at all look like the kind of thing where Obama would really have much of a clue as to what they were doing. My guess is he did the same thing he does with all law enforcement and military issues, believe whole heartedly that these outfits are doing what is best and not question it. Compare that to Iran Contra or Watergate and all you get with Obama is more of a Gerald Ford role, "Sure I'll cover you if it fucks up!" :lol:

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:16 pm

Oh the partisanship on major US news outlets.

Top story on CNN: Obama wanting to extend the tax cuts to people making under $250k.

Top story on Foxnews: Obama committed to raising taxes on people making over $250k.

:x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:34 pm

beats me wrote:Anyhow, I’m talking about taking personal and preventative responsibility for your own health which the right is adamantly against and they’re also against paying for the results of not taking that personal responsibility. Fucking assholes. :x
Dems = Let's make sure that transfat is banned, and coconut oil is eliminated from movie theater popcorn because we know what's best.

Repubs = Let the consumer decide.

Nanny State 101, really. Those are but 2 of what are now endless fucking examples

Repubs and Libetarians are all about personal responsibility, so I've no idea what they fuck you're talking about... Actually, I do know what you are talking about:
Preventative healthcare standards according to what some motherfucking federal bureaucrats think they should be. :lol:

ffs, you LIVE in state that cannot seem to get enough of interfering with what you eat or drink. No transfat. No coconut oil. et al. All for the betterment of the State. The betterment of society. The betterment of Mankind.

Be happy in your work. We will provide.

Utter rubbish nanny state bullshit. It's simply government Out of Fucking Control.

:lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:38 pm

beats me wrote: But it’s all almost pointless if I’m not eating properly or enough. :x

It's California, bro. Wait a month or two and someone's going to be requiring you to eat properly or else you'll get taxed/fined to DEATH.

I mean, do you HONESTLY think that they're going to stop with just trying to ban Happy Meals?

ffs.

:lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:52 pm

LSZ, you are right and I was wrong on that one. Dems are way more into forcing shit down your throat (or keeping it from going down your throat). Repubs just don’t want you to have all the information to make an informed decision if it’s in anyway going to potentially fuck with profits. :x

CA’s latest offering to civilized responsible living (coming soon to a state near you) is the war on bags. When going shopping now you either have to pay extra for bags, don't offer bags, or they give them to you for free but you are heavily frowned upon. And I mean any bag. It’s not paper vs. plastic anymore. FFS. A responsible Californian has a trunk full of bought canvas bags on them at all times. FFS. :x

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:56 pm

its all well and easy to rant about if you are still on your parent's insurance

...no good answers to these things, and no great candidate come Nov....its a question of least bad, and one's own life situation and taste...