Game of Thrones

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by beats me » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:04 pm

I don't even know which show we are talking about anymore.

Thread titles mean nothing in this forum. NOTHING.

:x

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:13 pm

d.reamonn wrote:Btw, is it just me, is Dinklage completely incapable of producing an English accent?
A better question might be to ask why people still cling to the English accent as a de facto representation of speech in works of high fantasy.

The game Dishonored did a good job of eschewing this tendency by using American accents in a fantasy world that is aesthetically based on 19th century England.

Take that beats, now we're not even talking about shows anymore.

Unsound Designer

d.reamonn

Post by d.reamonn » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:38 pm

stringtapper wrote:Take that beats, now we're not even talking about shows anymore.
https://soundcloud.com/maybe-logic

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:18 pm

The funny thing?

All Brits think they can speak with an American accent; when 99.9% of the time they end up sounding like a Drunk Canadian at Mardi Gras who's trying to gargle a mouthful of nails while a fine looking gimp tickles their arse.

FACT.

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

d.reamonn

Post by d.reamonn » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:49 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:The funny thing?

All Brits think they can speak with an American accent; when 99.9% of the time they end up sounding like a Drunk Canadian at Mardi Gras who's trying to gargle a mouthful of nails while a fine looking gimp tickles their arse.

FACT.

UN-FACT.

I can do a fine Indian, African (think "Congo"), Londonistani, French, German or Mexican accent, but I cannot, nor will I ever be able to do a convincing American accent. And I think I'm Brits-ish. So there.
https://soundcloud.com/maybe-logic

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:44 pm

Pitch Black wrote:This cast panel is worth watching - Peter Dinklage is hil-ar-i-ous!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkzodgRaze8
Thanks Paddy, that was really good.

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:42 pm

stringtapper wrote:
d.reamonn wrote:Btw, is it just me, is Dinklage completely incapable of producing an English accent?
A better question might be to ask why people still cling to the English accent as a de facto representation of speech in works of high fantasy.

The game Dishonored did a good job of eschewing this tendency by using American accents in a fantasy world that is aesthetically based on 19th century England.

Take that beats, now we're not even talking about shows anymore.

I dunno, because a stereotypical "Mer'ca South Accent" would sound kinda dumb...er.
Because Whatever.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:06 am

GoT needs to spend more time on Daenerys and her dragons. Or even just Daenerys. Daenerys standing on a sand dune doing armpit farts for 10 minutes would get my Emmy nod. And possibly Best New Dubstep Artist Grammy.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:04 am

Watched a couple minutes of it, it's pretty bad.
The "evil" guy is over the top evil, "I make my soldiers kill a baby!" or some such nonsense.
Fantasy always has the worst archetypes , and spends way too much time on the doings of these wooden characters.... :x

Jack McOck

Post by Jack McOck » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:15 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Watched a couple minutes of it, it's pretty bad.
The "evil" guy is over the top evil, "I make my soldiers kill a baby!" or some such nonsense.
Fantasy always has the worst archetypes , and spends way too much time on the doings of these wooden characters.... :x
I wouldn't call him evil per se. He's just a man trying to make his way in the world. It says more about your own morality than it does about his when you to label him so hastily. Revealed, your opinion is.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:52 pm

Jack McOck wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Watched a couple minutes of it, it's pretty bad.
I wouldn't call him evil per se. He's just a man trying to make his way in the world. It says more about your own morality than it does about his when you to label him
So you're the token spiritual guru character in the fantasy plot who enlightens the hero and frees his mind to help him overcome our archetype villain aren't you? :lol:

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:13 pm

GoT is not a show where you can just jump in at a random episode, watch it for 15 minutes, and think you’ve got it all figured out....what it's all about or if its worth your time.

I would argue you could say the same thing for just about any drama that is worth a shit.

Jack McOck

Post by Jack McOck » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:24 pm

Machinesworking wrote:So you're the token spiritual guru character in the fantasy plot who enlightens the hero and frees his mind to help him overcome our archetype villain aren't you? :lol:
The only enemy you must ever truly overcome is not out there, on Endore, but within yourself.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:15 am

beats me wrote:GoT is not a show where you can just jump in at a random episode, watch it for 15 minutes, and think you’ve got it all figured out....what it's all about or if its worth your time.

I would argue you could say the same thing for just about any drama that is worth a shit.

As you sum up the argument Ima gonna have to classically disagree. :lol:

Good dramas don't rely on one dimensional characters. Blade Runner is a good example, it's main 'good' and 'bad' characters are mixed bags, with both honorable and not so honorable traits.

An involved storyline is not an indication of a good drama.
A Streetcar Named Desire is a good drama, Game of Thrones is a fantasy soap opera.

Jack McOck

Post by Jack McOck » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:55 am

Machinesworking wrote: As you sum up the argument Ima gonna have to classically disagree. :lol:

Good dramas don't rely on one dimensional characters. Blade Runner is a good example, it's main 'good' and 'bad' characters are mixed bags, with both honorable and not so honorable traits.

An involved storyline is not an indication of a good drama.
A Streetcar Named Desire is a good drama, Game of Thrones is a fantasy soap opera.
Blade Runner would be nothing if it were not for the CGI.