Does this look like what a noob would do?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Quadrix

Post by Quadrix » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:41 pm

Idk, does this look alright?

justjohn_jj

Re: Does this look like what a noob would do?

Post by justjohn_jj » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:29 am

Looks like a really long intro of chords, and then other stuff joining in.

If that's what you want, and I can think of lots of songs where that works just fine, then what's the issue?
Last edited by justjohn_jj on Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
* Radio Free Entropy: http://just-john.com/jjMusic

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:38 am

I dunno dude, it looks like a lot of other songs. You need a more original looking song. Looks fast too, better notch that back to 127. A different set of clip colors would definitely make it sound warmer. Or just slap an amazing skin on there and master it.

justjohn_jj

Post by justjohn_jj » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:09 am

knotkranky wrote:I dunno dude, it looks like a lot of other songs. You need a more original looking song. Looks fast too, better notch that back to 127. A different set of clip colors would definitely make it sound warmer. ...
You had me going there for a moment.
* Radio Free Entropy: http://just-john.com/jjMusic

Quadrix

Post by Quadrix » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:43 am

scutheotaku wrote:Here's what you should be asking yourself: does it sound good?

It doesn't matter if your technique is "noobish" or not, as long as it sounds good.
your right, i just cant seem to go anywhere with this. i may post and audio file of this soon. kinda feel like givin up this song but i would like some feed back

jbodango

Post by jbodango » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:14 pm

+1 on raising em up to 127...

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:23 pm

Looks massive to me.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:51 am

knotkranky wrote:I dunno dude, it looks like a lot of other songs. You need a more original looking song. Looks fast too, better notch that back to 127. A different set of clip colors would definitely make it sound warmer. Or just slap an amazing skin on there and master it.
This is some good internet advice.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:29 am

It looks nice - I like the look of it a lot.

But maybe try zooming the screen to make it look even nicer.

Try some different colours as well and increase the number of tracks by roughly 130%.

That's a winning formula in my opinion.

trevox

Post by trevox » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:22 am

Without taking the piss, as someone said, it is all about how it sounds, not how it looks. I've been doing this for close to 20 years and I am still really messy when programming Max patches, logic environments etc and I'm bad at naming tracks etc in whatever DAW I use. None of this affects the sound or structure of the music itself. This doesn't make me a noob - or you for that matter.

The main reason for all of this housekeeping is for when you leave a track and go back to it way later; or if you work with someone else that has to make sense of what you have done. It's funny, because over time you know the way you work yourself and can figure out what is going on pretty quickly regardless of the names of tracks or messiness. And usually if I need to share with someone else, I will try to do the housekeeping then. The only time I put some real effort into naming things is my controller setups for live sets as this will vary from track to track and you don't have time to figure anything out when performing, so always good to have that quick reference.

I am not saying that this is good practice, just that it really has no affect on your end goal - the music. And everyone works in ways that are comfortable for them.

And by the way, I have had entire tunes with one single note playing on one track with no automation, where all interesting stuff happens within a synth. Just saying that what you see in your DAW does not necessarily tell the whole story anyway.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:40 am

Yes, because you should be posting an audio file if you need help with a song (as a few have mentioned already).