new Soundcloud Beta

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
simmerdown

new Soundcloud Beta

Post by simmerdown » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:18 pm

looks like sc has a new beta going, i just signed in....talk about staying ahead of the curve, this seems really great so far

http://next.soundcloud.com/

beats me

Re: new Soundcloud Beta

Post by beats me » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:13 pm

Is there anything in there that attracts civilians and not just other producers and DJs spamming and circle jerking each other?

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:18 pm

Mmmm... Circle jerking...

footsy

Post by footsy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:54 pm

beats me wrote:Is there anything in there that attracts civilians and not just other producers and DJs spamming and circle jerking each other?
Right!

...... I signed up, but I might not be cool enough to make it.
"A Positive mind is the Key to success" - Tydi

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:46 pm

is that their job? if the music is good people will find there way, if theres a bunch o shit then no amount of outside promo is goin to sustain it.....i think its the youtube of music

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:24 pm

beats me wrote:Is there anything in there that attracts civilians and not just other producers and DJs spamming and circle jerking each other?

Yeah, and it's already in the current version: posting your tracks with the embedded player. Whether on FB, forums, your website, wherever; 'civilians' click play on the embedded player and hear tracks -- maybe yours. It happens. And for it to happen, the main site has gotta exist for the artist to upload his junk.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

footsy

Post by footsy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:09 am

mholloway wrote:

Yeah, and it's already in the current version: posting your tracks with the embedded player. Whether on FB, forums, your website, wherever; 'civilians' click play on the embedded player and hear tracks -- maybe yours. It happens. And for it to happen, the main site has gotta exist for the artist to upload his junk.

-M
This is true, but a lot of "civilians" are too scared to click the play button. On facebook the ONLY time someone listens to it is if I force them. The only time I listen to something is if someone forces me... It's whatevaaaa
"A Positive mind is the Key to success" - Tydi

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:23 am

So SoundCloud brought more awesomeness to the player you can embed on Facebook? The only thing that could make this better is remix contests. Please tell me there's a heavy remix contest element.

aisling

Post by aisling » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:16 pm

I think the circle has been broken, I don't seem to get much of a reach around on sc....
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

gjm

Post by gjm » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:49 pm

scutheotaku wrote:I've been in the beta for a while (a few months?)...I actually left the beta version and went back to the "old" version a few weeks ago. I don't know, I just find "Soundcloud Beta" to be really unintuitive. There's certain things I like, but the new player just sucks...especially how the comments work. I don't know, I guess I'll get used to it eventually :/
Exact same experience for me. I think its kinda clunky and bloated TBH.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

juniorsfave

Post by juniorsfave » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:03 am

Well it is still in its early stages. It will get by our own preferences as time goes by. But for now it would be best if we would help improve it by passing bugs, and our own opinions about the new Beta.

Xen Ochren

Post by Xen Ochren » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:55 am

I've been trying to like it for the last few months, but I keep finding myself returning to the old soundcloud. Its simple, it just works.

I notice that I get different songs coming up in my feed on the new soundcloud, as in, more songs I don't want and less that I do!
I also notice that some that I do want are hanging around longer than I want them to, as in, perhaps there is less traffic or a slower update rate.

What I liked about the old soundcloud, is it clearly showed who had just followed you. You could easilly look at their pages and choose if you wanted to follow back. Now it is another window away.

the language is unintuitive as well, I am dissapointed that 'favourite' has been changed to like. to like something is very limp. To favorite something is a strong statement. If I have 10 percent of my plays favorited, I am feeling excited. If I have 10 percent liked, I am feeling let down that 90 percent dont like it! that was an element that definitely wasn't broken.

I also find it annoying that the list of followers and following has been split up to different sides of the page and made less of a feature. I have twice as many followers as who I am following, and this was something which set me apart from artists who were spam following a new 2000 people every day. Now these spam followers will not be revealed easily for who they are. Whenever one of them follows me, I can tell not to follow back as I can quickly see they are following 2000 people and only 500 follow them back. NOT with the new Soundcloud...

I really dislike it. Sound cloud was my front door, my main promo page. Promoters could see at a glance how the community at large responds to me online. Now its cluttered, and I don't feel it has the potential to sell me as well.
bah.

FlightPlan

Post by FlightPlan » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:14 am

They suddenly swapped my account into the NEW version - wow, what a turd! It's a classic case of changing something that didn't need a complete overhaul, and it's neither well thought out or executed.

My profile description is amputated, there's a text justification bug: words are broken and not hyphenated at the EOL (c'mon, how long has this been in beta?!) The hyperlinks are messed - the title link is gone, the long URL instead appears.

Tabs that delineate important difference i.e. sets, tracks, spotlight are gone - and now unaccountably an older set sits atop my most recent tracks.

Overall it's harder to get around to the usual functions and all for what?

Incredibly disappointing... and I switched back to 'classic'