Mixers block

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Mixers block

Post by beats me » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:28 pm

Even more frequently than writers block I get mixers block. The song is going along splendidly and the sounds work but I just can’t get it all to gel well together in the “pro” sense.

Attached to that is I have less is less situations. I hear plenty of songs that don’t have a lot going on musically but the mix still sounds full and like nothing more needs to be added. Mine just sound thin and lacking. Might as well slather on some more audio mortar in attempt to fill it out. This generally doesn't go well.

This just kills my creativety and makes me resent the process almost from the moment I fire up the DAW.

Anybody else frequent this pity party?

:x

Komodovaran

Re: Mixers block

Post by Komodovaran » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:09 pm

Haven't rendered a song in months, because everything I've made sounds shite.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:20 pm

That shit happened to me a few times some years back, and a load of times in the 90ties. It sucks.

What I sort of figured out was that my arrangements were to buissy. (I miss a few english words here to express myself, sorry) Well, to much things was going on from time to time. Now days I tend to try keep as few sounds going as possible and do whatever I can to make them "stand out". Work with the source sound to make it crispy. Emphasize it with eq and effects. A bit of distortion, some auto pan, maybe auto filter. Work that bitch up til it stands on its own. Most importantly; dynamic, expressive, emotional and interesting notes from the beginning. Easier said then done, but at least trying to nail something great before going through effects and all that makes everything easier later on in the prosess.

I know the feeling. Just hang in there, you will learn something every step on the way. In the not so distant future it will all be history. As long as you try to progress, you will in the long run. Ive been going 20 years and im still learning loads. I really hope I dont come out as a wise-guy here!! Thats not my intention at all!

Best of luck! <3 :)

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:17 am

Listening to trance with 957138 layers of sound makes me realize how tiny I am.

Like the first 50 seconds of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWAmDgnd-c

I suck.

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:17 am

Why is this stupid forum making me double post? Goddamit, so embarrassing. :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:12 pm

funken wrote:[Having said that, Tom Hades said in his interview on my site the other day that you need to be very self critical.

That’s one of the most horrifying things I’ve seen put to text. I’m self-critical to the point of rarely releasing anything. Nice to see a pro agrees I might be doing the public a favor by keeping my polished turds to myself. :x

I rarely use the same drum sounds, but I don’t do a genre like House where that kind of thing is acceptable. I get some enjoyment out of not using the same kit over and over….sometimes the different kit is what inspires the song. But that kind of writing can also lead to mixing problems because you’re trying to dial in completely different sounds from scratch in every song. I have sound types I like in both drums and instruments but I don’t have a list of go-to sounds. I guess for me with Electronica you have access to such a huge palette of sounds that you shouldn’t be recycling anything, and I'm probably falsly thinking the listener is going "Already used that sound, bro."

Sage

Post by Sage » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:33 pm

beats me wrote:I rarely use the same drum sounds, but I don’t do a genre like House where that kind of thing is acceptable. I get some enjoyment out of not using the same kit over and over….sometimes the different kit is what inspires the song. But that kind of writing can also lead to mixing problems because you’re trying to dial in completely different sounds from scratch in every song. I have sound types I like in both drums and instruments but I don’t have a list of go-to sounds. I guess for me with Electronica you have access to such a huge palette of sounds that you shouldn’t be recycling anything, and I'm probably falsly thinking the listener is going "Already used that sound, bro."
Sometimes its good for a particular project to retain a "sonic signature", so nothing wrong with recycling sounds. A rock band may be recognisable by the guitarist's sound or whatever and even the same sound in a different context can sound very different. Sometimes having limitations (Even self-imposed ones) can be great for creativity.

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:58 pm

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:12 am

I've dodged mixers block with a simple move that fits my brain. I take care of all tedious bits of bs that's no fun to work out in a musical mood. Like drum replacement, pops n clicks, cutting/adding arrangement stuff, tunage, light EQ, obvious compression needs, master buss chain, FX sends and choices in position, yada yada yada etc.

I basically make the session sound like something exciting to mix. Still raw really, but ready enough to keep a musical hat on all the way through to the finish in a few inspirational hours. Getting it ready to mix always takes longer since yer really just getting it into position to finish nicely. Hopefully I get to step away from it and sit down at it the next day. A couple days is even better. All-nighters are bad. There's no reason to have them these days, unless it's pure inspiration in the wee hours kinda thing. Flogging shit when tired/frustrated is a mix killer. No going back after a good go at it imo.

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:56 am

i found just not giving a fuck anymore has done wonders for my enjoyment of making music. when i get to the point i SHOULD be doing some tedious stuff, its time for a blank set and a new tune.

juniorsfave

Post by juniorsfave » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:44 am

Well like how you would remove writer's block it is best if you find some time to find your inspiration. You can go for a brisk walk or a jog early in the morning to refresh your mind. And it is real that you can refresh your mind by exercise since it will release hormones in our body that would help remove stress. Even a short break would get you back on track.