music player on shuffle. Play or Skip. game?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Angstrom

music player on shuffle. Play or Skip. game?

Post by Angstrom » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:54 pm

I suggest playing ten tracks on shuffle and then confess/review them with a Play/ Skip
No cheating. Post your score.
  • Photek - the hidden camera (EP version). : still solid early breaks business [Play]
  • Nick Drake - get together. : abysmal demo or something,sounds like strained shit gargled by an octopus.what the fuck is this doing on here [SKIP]
  • Lee "Scratch" Perry - Dem no know Dub. : classic dub, off Megaton Dub. 10/10 [PLAY]
  • Davida Holmes essential Mix. "track 10" - : Passable Holmes stuff of the middle tier, damn shitty mp3 tags. [Play]
  • Huun Huur Tu - Chylandyk . : throat singing from Tuvas biggest throat singing stars. I like these guys, this one is pretty sparse and old skool though. Sing it kids ..." urahahaghniuiuiiuuiuiuiuiu" [Play]
  • Bo Diddley - Bo's Guitar. : twangy twanging from the king of twang. kind of sounds like he's making it up as he goes along and never heard the backing track before. Your guitar is out of tune Bo. Even so. passable.[Play]
  • Michael Thomas - learn spanish, lesson 20 . . "I am going, voy". yeah. [Skip]
  • Barry Adamson - Act Three The final Irony. . annoying plinking sampler stupidity. sorry Barry. too annoying for today. [Skip]
  • Ennio Morricone - The Transgression : . I'm gonna wear an eyepatch and kill some dirty bastardo to this ludicrous spaghetti western percussion music [Play]
  • The Human League - The Dignity of Labour (Part1) . When I was a teenager this was the sound of the future. Amazingly nobody had another new idea after this.[Play]
I scored 7 out of 10

MacGuffin

Re: music player on shuffle. Play or Skip. game?

Post by MacGuffin » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:44 pm

so I guess you don't have a lot of crap you hate on your music player? :mrgreen:

. Jean-Michel Jarre - Oxygène IV: Play (I never get tired of white noise in phasers)
. Neu - Isi: Play (goes nicely with the grey weather right now)
. Amon Tobin - Verbal: Skip (great track, but I'm not in the mood)
. Bob Marley - Iron Lion Zion: Skip (not in the mood for 80's Bob right now)
. Jurassic 5 - Lesson 6 (Reprise): Play (sweet beat)
. Minilogue - Even the Wind Seemed in Deep Sleep: Skip (too ambient for my mood right now)
. Roots Manuva vs Wrongtom - Rebuff: Played for a while, then skipped. (Nice song, but I got tired of it before the end)
. Bar Kokhba - Gediel: Play (amazing track)
. The Roots - Quills: Skip
. Pole - Wipfel Dub: Play (so deep, I love it)

6/10

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:25 pm

This was all just on my iPhone, not my main iPod, so there's some repetition of artists.

• Sonny Rollins – Till There Was You (Take 4) – Just Sonny and Oscar Pettiford on bass for much of the tune, then Max Roach comes in during the bass solo [Play]
• Andrew Hale & Simon Hale – Murder Brood, Pt. 1 – From the L.A. Noire soundtrack; great film, er… video game music, reminiscent of Jerry Goldsmith's score to L.A. Confidential (what I suspect they were going for) with a little Bernard Hermann sprinkled in [Play]
• The Ink Spots – Can You Look Me in the Eyes? – Schmaltzy tune from the black group that were popular with whites by making their vocals sound "white"; starts with their standard I-#iº7-ii7-V7 intro (the "Happy Trails" line) [Play]
• The Mighty Imperials – Kick The Blanket – They only had one album but it rocks; gritty-ass Meters-esque instrumental [Play]
• System of a Down – Stealing Society – Not in the mood [Skip]
• Boogaloo Joe Jones – Someday We'll Be Together – Love this album, but this is one of the less "boogaloo" sounding tunes of it [Skip]
• The Decemberists – All Arise! – Not into these guys; bought the album to learn a couple of tunes for a party [Skip]
• The New Mastersounds – You've Had It – These guys are all over my playlists as been learning lots of their stuff with my funk band; killer deep funk [Play]
• The Black Keys – Howlin' for You (feat. Prins Thomas Diskomiks) – hadn't listened to this version before; some synth and filter wankery going on; it's ok [Play]
• The New Mastersounds – Fast Man – from one of their live albums; I think Haggis Horns join them on this one; great [Play]
• Boogaloo Joe Jones – Brown Bag – Now here's a muthafuckin' boogaloo track [PLAY]

7/10
Unsound Designer

malutki

Post by malutki » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:57 pm

I'm in the mood to play & post, whodathunk?
shuffle sometimes comes up with the perfect playlists...
let's see:

Nils Landgren - lost In The Stars - Ah: The Moon, the Stars and You, great album, not my favorite tune but PLAY
Paradicso - diasporama - nice balkanesque swinging watchamacalit, all accoustic.. she plays an 1/8 size double bass :) PLAY
The dining rooms - Hear Us Now - hmmm I sometimes really like this and I hesitate but now the vocals make me SKI.. no I PLAY it
Nneka - God of Mercy - this is pop music... I love it PLAY
Sublime - Date Rape - maybe later SKIP
Soundgarden - Burden In My Hand - the beginning is great, but not in the mood for the rest SKIP
Egon Fridell - Kulturgeschichte der Neuzeit - Audiobook on cultural history SKIP
Asterix - Dr große Grabä - Audiobook in Swabian SKIP
Soundgarden - Hands All Over - Kill your mother? PLAY nooo ripping errors SKIP
Egon Fridell again SKIP (but great voice! & piano interludes)

see? once you start skipping you fuck it up,
if I had taken the time to get into Sublime,
this play list would have been...

sublime
(But seriously, Soundgarden & Egon twice, when theres so many more to choose from?)
I'm going home

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:11 pm

1. David Tort feat. Gosha - One Look (Axwell Vs. Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike Remix) - standard big room house with some funky lyrics... but skip.
2. Taku Iwasaki - Can a Mole Pig Dream of Spirals? - upbeat jazz instrumental from an anime. Kind of bland. Skip.
3. The Blizzard & Omnia - My Inner Island - decent trance from ASOT 2011. Play
4. Faithless feat. Dido - Feeling Good (Ferry Corsten Remix) - very unique style remix with an awesome dark vibe. Play!
5. Ratatat - Everest - classic chillout Ratatat style. Play!
6. Benjamin Bates - Whole (Hardwell 2010 Remix) - shitty tech house where they loop the same dry beat for 3 minutes, before introducing a tiny 4 second synth drop, only to continue the same beat for another 3 minutes. Skip!
7. Dirty South & Rudy - Phazing - summer house anthem! Play!
8. The Potbelleez - Bad Boy Tune - eh, some shitty electro with some weird... African lyrics. Skip
9. Armin van Buuren - Gypsy - it's Armin van Buuren. It's breakbeat. Play!
10. Richard Durand - Clear Blue Sky - boring tech trance thing. Skip.

3/10. Doesn't reflect my current interest in trance music (which like 70% of my library consists of, wtf?). At. All.

Yes, my score is lower than what I played. It's a terrible playlist, that's why. :x

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:23 pm

A nicely bad score there. Shuffle wins.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:09 pm

1 The Knide - One Hit. play
2 Velvet Underground - Stephanie Says. play
3 Ishq - Opal. play
4 Rythym & Sound - Queen in my Empire. play
5 Alpha and Omega - Behold. skip
6 Gudrun Gut & Myra Davies - Alberta Beef skip
7 Joni Mitchell - Chelsea Morning. play
8 Gong - You can't Kill Me. skip
9 Dillinger - Rasta Vibration. play
10 Sleeparchive - Elephant Island 4. play

7/10 I like everyting in there, the skips where purely 'cos of my mood.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:45 pm

Gong.
I wonder how many people here have Gong lurking in their library just waiting to spring a fucking gnome teapot on you when you least expect it.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:47 am

Shameless Gong fan here. Discovered them as a teenager in the late 70's and been hooked ever since.

I blame it on the drugs.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:14 pm

Yeah, I have a wide selection ranging from earliest cheese based products to the serious splintered French Jazz xylophones version, and also the Daevid Allen New York & Spanish stuff, which is all pretty good. I've seen a few variations live. Also, Here & Now. etc.

However, there aren't many times these days I want to hear about pothead pixies in a flying teapot, or listen to a "space whisper". wauuauuuuuiiiiiiiooooooioioaaaaiaauauauuauau.

My blood to LSD levels have stabilised.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:38 pm

Angstrom you've always seemed like someone who might have some Magma hidden away on your player.
Unsound Designer