Im probably the only one stoked about new midi tools.

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
sporkles

Re: Im probably the only one stoked about new midi tools.

Post by sporkles » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:33 am

ikeaboy wrote:Audio to midi, I'm holding back on getting excited until I get to try it in the beta (hopefully!) it's the kind of thing that is very difficult to get right I reckon. None of those guitar to midi thingamabobs every really worked perfectly, or did they?
If Singstar can tell if you're hitting the right note, then surely it can't be that huge a leap to lay out a note you're hitting in a MIDI clip?

I can see how getting chords right might be harder, though.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:11 am

sporkles wrote:
ikeaboy wrote:Audio to midi, I'm holding back on getting excited until I get to try it in the beta (hopefully!) it's the kind of thing that is very difficult to get right I reckon. None of those guitar to midi thingamabobs every really worked perfectly, or did they?
If Singstar can tell if you're hitting the right note, then surely it can't be that huge a leap to lay out a note you're hitting in a MIDI clip?

I can see how getting chords right might be harder, though.
Here's hoping, I'm another 'sing or hum the melody part in' person so this could open up big things for me.

Every so often I stumble across an old piece of audio of me trying to sing a mental acid line on my hard drive 8O

justjohn_jj

Post by justjohn_jj » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:40 am

I'm up for any additions to the MIDI capabilities.
* Radio Free Entropy: http://just-john.com/jjMusic

garyboozy

Post by garyboozy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:56 am

real happy with the new midi tools. especially stoked about the envelope stretch mode - that was one of my feature requests a few years back. fuckyea!
and you can finally just dbl-click to create an automation point. sheesh. wayyy overdue but v.welcome.

pskept

Post by pskept » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:32 pm

spookydirt wrote:what happens if you feed it some found sound - traffic noise, for example - and tell it to make a tune out of that? i think this could be huge fun
i've spent a lot of time doing this with plogue bidule and it IS HUGE FUN!

tkarmakid

Post by tkarmakid » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:54 pm

Im excited about the new midi tools and push too. I was (and still am) happy with 8 and thought there really wasnt much more they could do to make it better, but then with 9 - converting audio to midi, so cool. Now, if only I had the money for the upgrade... :mrgreen:

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:58 pm

I'm really hoping that the audio to midi tools support pitch bend for notes that slide between pitches or to replicate guitar string bends, etc.

Also nice would be the ability to invert the pitch bend envelope and apply it to the original audio for automatic pitch correction.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:11 am

Audio to MIDI = :D

spookydirt

Post by spookydirt » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:56 pm

crumhorn wrote:I'm really hoping that the audio to midi tools support pitch bend for notes that slide between pitches or to replicate guitar string bends, etc.
now that would be really really useful - play a guitar solo and have it doubled by a synth? I have to wait 3 months for this?!! *sad face*
i5-7500 3.4GHz /16GB / Aphex207D / yellow lefty Danelectro / CZ-101 / E-Bow / Genius
Mink15 - Downtempo Triphop Indie Lo-Fi- Spookydirt - ambient space music - Far Black Furlong - ambientmedievalclassicalfolkdrone

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:02 pm

crumhorn wrote:I'm really hoping that the audio to midi tools support pitch bend for notes that slide between pitches or to replicate guitar string bends, etc.

Also nice would be the ability to invert the pitch bend envelope and apply it to the original audio for automatic pitch correction.

One of the first of many upcoming "it doesn't go far enough" complaints...even though implementation at all wasn't an expected feature. :P

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:28 am

More of a wish than a complaint at the moment, but I will be sad if it doesn't come true.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)