Ableton main website - what happened?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
db2

Ableton main website - what happened?

Post by db2 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:19 am

Wtf is up with the website? It used to be great. Now it's looking like a css 101 exercise by a student with boxes overflowing, blocky sections of hovering text, endless vertical scrolling... there's no link to the forums or all the great community resources. The site used to look and function great imo, was always impressed. Is this a fluke, or???

Linear Phase

Re: Ableton main website - what happened?

Post by Linear Phase » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:44 am

Is the rave over yet? omg lol..
Linear Phase has left the building..

justjohn_jj

Post by justjohn_jj » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:07 pm

{absolutely_ancient_reference_nobody_will_get} Maybe Ableton's been bought by AOL? {/absolutely_ancient_reference_nobody_will_get}
* Radio Free Entropy: http://just-john.com/jjMusic

myrnova

Post by myrnova » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:26 pm

I like it. Very european, made in Berlin. Finally.

justjohn_jj

Post by justjohn_jj » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:30 pm

Wow, Berlin's standards have slipped.
* Radio Free Entropy: http://just-john.com/jjMusic

l3xh2k

Post by l3xh2k » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:03 pm

The lack of a link to the forums is a criminal oversight. I routinely use the main site to navigate here.

Linear Phase

Post by Linear Phase » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:48 pm

myrnova wrote:I like it. Very european, made in Berlin. Finally.
Maybe Germany/Netherlands, I don't think the French and British are this quirky.. The latter two are more, "Earth tones, and lower contrasts."

However.. I am not going to be as negative about it, as some of the others! In fact, "the main website looks great." Its these forum colors are hard to deal with!
Linear Phase has left the building..

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:18 pm

l3xh2k wrote:The lack of a link to the forums is a criminal oversight. I routinely use the main site to navigate here.
I think it's an indication that Ableton is trying to distance this forum from its corporate image.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:20 pm

they've actually strapped the forum to a giant dildo, hence the color.

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:49 pm

H20nly wrote:they've actually strapped the forum to a giant dildo, hence the color.
Nice :lol:

myrnova

Post by myrnova » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:22 pm

humnumb wrote:
l3xh2k wrote:The lack of a link to the forums is a criminal oversight. I routinely use the main site to navigate here.
I think it's an indication that Ableton is trying to distance this forum from its corporate image.
Exactly. Forums are dying everywhere, it is called "facebook effect" or something.

db2

Post by db2 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:11 am

myrnova wrote:
humnumb wrote:
Exactly. Forums are dying everywhere, it is called "facebook effect" or something.
Um, I'm not sure if these comments are kidding? Er...

A) Why would a software company try to distance itself from its own special interest forum? It's the number one way to get direct feedback, develop a better understanding of the customer, and perform market research. It also let's customers give tech support to one another which takes a huge burden off your support division.

B) I don't see how Facebook is a replacement for special interest forums. I mean sure, maybe general interest forums, but certainly not things like software user groups.

jkmaxwell

Post by jkmaxwell » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:23 am

db2 wrote:Wtf is up with the website? It used to be great. Now it's looking like a css 101 exercise by a student with boxes overflowing, blocky sections of hovering text, endless vertical scrolling... there's no link to the forums or all the great community resources. The site used to look and function great imo, was always impressed. Is this a fluke, or???
Have to agree, I do not like it at all, sorry guys but the redesign does not fit the product or the corporate image, it is almost as if you've used a standard "2012 Web App Product Template" and put "Ableton" on it. A big giant picture of Push is nice (congratulations on that, btw), but you could have done that w/o the redesign.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:22 am

justjohn_jj wrote:{absolutely_ancient_reference_nobody_will_get} Maybe Ableton's been bought by AOL? {/absolutely_ancient_reference_nobody_will_get}
i got it. that is funny. it would've been funnier in 2003, but yes it is funny.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

deutero

Post by deutero » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:54 pm

Trying to out-rectangle Microsoft, it seems.
Better watch out if MS is as stingy about sharp corners as Apple is about rounded ones. :P

As a side note: my astigmatism really makes the new logo uncomfortable.
Live 8 w/ EIC, XP Pro SP3, 1.8GHz Core Duo, 3GB RAM, PreSonus Firebox, Evolution MK-425c, Korg nanoKONTROL, Akai LPK25, Akai LPD8, bigger than average brain (large hats)