This PUSH gizmo

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
justjohn_jj

This PUSH gizmo

Post by justjohn_jj » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:01 pm

It looks lovely!

But now Ableton is entering the hardware market? Should other manufacturers get paranoid about this competition?* Will Ableton "cheat" by integrating Push with Live in ways they don't document?

* I mean, above and beyond paranoia for its own sake, which I recommend.
* Radio Free Entropy: http://just-john.com/jjMusic

pulsoc

Re: This PUSH gizmo

Post by pulsoc » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:15 pm

It's manufactured by Akai

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:06 pm

I look at it like NI’s controllers for Maschine and Traktor, could be used for general purposes but are more useful with the software they were made for. I don’t think general controller makers have anything to worry about.

And if there’s secret handshaking or deep integration involved with Live I really don’t think third party manufacturers are all that interested. There’s a much larger general use user base.

And there's always touch screen apps that are fully customizable with more options than even the software developer's proprietary controllers and I've never heard of the software developers blocking those controllers access to certain features.

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:17 pm

Oh pooh. Id buy the push... but with my suite upgrade it will be upwards of 850...

Licence is 299... so the controller will be 550 bucks? Jeeze.

Id love it to be 400.

Sigh, WHY YOU NO GIVE DISHCOUNTSH ABERLTERN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Because Whatever.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:48 pm

Mint Invader wrote:Oh pooh. Id buy the push... but with my suite upgrade it will be upwards of 850...

Licence is 299... so the controller will be 550 bucks? Jeeze.

Id love it to be 400.

Sigh, WHY YOU NO GIVE DISHCOUNTSH ABERLTERN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have 8 Suite and/or M4L? Ableton David posted in like 2 dozen threads that the upgrade pricing system was fubared yesterday and that there would be a special introductory upgrade price offer made to those who own 8 suite once 9 is released.

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:57 pm

Dude... my Ableton purchases is quite long.

And yes, I own suite 8.

Bear in mind I dont mind spending 300 for the update... but 300 plus 550 for the push, jeeze. Squeezing my lemons.
Because Whatever.

justjohn_jj

Post by justjohn_jj » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:30 pm

Looking more at the pics of Push, especially of the display ...

How does Live get the controller mappings' text to Push? I mean, in one pic, the LED has "FiltCtff FiltPeso" and a level display, above a patch name and "AutoFilt," all within one of the four display sections.

Is the data to update the display to indicate that transferred via MIDI? (I'm a total newcomer to this type of controller, so maybe that's a dumb question.)
* Radio Free Entropy: http://just-john.com/jjMusic

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:42 pm

justjohn_jj wrote:Looking more at the pics of Push, especially of the display ...

How does Live get the controller mappings' text to Push? I mean, in one pic, the LED has "FiltCtff FiltPeso" and a level display, above a patch name and "AutoFilt," all within one of the four display sections.

Is the data to update the display to indicate that transferred via MIDI? (I'm a total newcomer to this type of controller, so maybe that's a dumb question.)
Guess so - Mackie controllers etc do as much over a humble 30 year old MIDI cable.

MIDI really is the shizz.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:15 pm

Looks nice but at that price point, I'll wait for the Push template for the Lemur app on my iPad.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:19 pm

humnumb wrote:Looks nice but at that price point, I'll wait for the Push template for the Lemur app on my iPad.
And the nice thing about 9 Suite is to get the full potential out of the Lemur app with 8 you also have to have/buy M4L. Now it will be included at no extra charge.

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:25 pm

beats me wrote:
humnumb wrote:Looks nice but at that price point, I'll wait for the Push template for the Lemur app on my iPad.
And the nice thing about 9 Suite is to get the full potential out of the Lemur app with 8 you also have to have/buy M4L. Now it will be included at no extra charge.
M4L included is a big turn on.
Because Whatever.

simpleton

Post by simpleton » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:56 am

It's smoke and mirrors.
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:22 am

Mint Invader wrote: Id love it to be 400.
just from what can be seen, thats the upper limit number that pops in my head, 400

...550? pushing it a bit far imo

DIgiDennis

Post by DIgiDennis » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:04 am

justjohn_jj wrote: Will Ableton "cheat" by integrating Push with Live in ways they don't document?
I really hope they do. why shouldn't they?
I am not well versed in their _generic_ API for controllers but i hope they make it tightly integrated and not generic and somehow i wouldn't think the python API is sufficient.

flyweight@rocketmail.com

Post by flyweight@rocketmail.com » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:30 pm

To bad the push doesn´t have a midi out so it can be used standalone to control hardware.