Separating tracks in a continuous mix?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Separating tracks in a continuous mix?

Post by beats me » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:28 pm

I have an audio file of a live show I would like to separate into individual tracks per song. I have Live and Logic. What’s the best (read: easiest) method to do this while keeping the continuity of the playback if all the tracks are played in a row (no sound gaps in playback)?

Is there a free Mac application that can do this better than Live or Logic?

I’d post this in the Music Production forum but I’d get a bunch of convoluted answers and debates. :x

regretfullySaid

Re: Separating tracks in a continuous mix?

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:33 pm

Why not just throw it in arrangement and make the splits then consolidate each split? Then rename the files in the browser.
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:00 pm

Here’s what I’d like to do. Throw the track in whatever. Cut/split where the individual tracks begin and then with a single click render/bounce those splits to separate tracks I can drag into iTunes and tag with track names.

I don’t want to fart around with Live’s or Logic’s set/project folders. Just save those tracks to the desktop.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:39 pm

I suppose if there's a lot of tracks it could turn into a pita...
ImageImage

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:00 pm

I use Garageband to split up mixes into tracks, the output ends up being a single m4a with embedded track breaks, you can add track graphics as well. It's pretty easy to do - just drop an audio track in, zoom in to place track breaks, label, drag/drop graphics, and export. Can't remember if this is free or part of iLife, also not sure if it will export .wavs if you are opting for more of a mix cd rather than a podcast.
-Hamish
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:14 pm

If you own Logic, you've probably got Waveburner.

Perfect for this, and very quick.

But yeah, Garageband in Podcast mode can do it to - you can even make photos and urls pop up on your ipod when you play back!
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:32 pm

docprosper wrote:I use Garageband to split up mixes into tracks, the output ends up being a single m4a with embedded track breaks, you can add track graphics as well. It's pretty easy to do - just drop an audio track in, zoom in to place track breaks, label, drag/drop graphics, and export. Can't remember if this is free or part of iLife, also not sure if it will export .wavs if you are opting for more of a mix cd rather than a podcast.
-Hamish

Interesting. I wonder if you can do that in Logic.

I think that’s great for a podcast but if you’re playing a single track with breaks in iTunes and hit forward will it go to the break or the next track? I’m not talking about in idevices.

But also if I want to just play, burn, or create playlists of different tracks within that mix it won’t work if it’s 1 file.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:40 pm

beatmunga wrote:If you own Logic, you've probably got Waveburner.

Perfect for this, and very quick.

I’ll have to look into that.

I assume it will be self-explanatory. A quick Google glance didn’t yield much beyond downloading the PDF manual. Maybe I wasn’t coming up with the correct search terminology.

Which reminds me of when I went from Live to Logic and couldn’t find a lot of functions because the 2 apps use different terminology for so many things, bounce instead of render for example. :x

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:25 pm

beats me wrote:
docprosper wrote:I use Garageband to split up mixes into tracks, the output ends up being a single m4a with embedded track breaks, you can add track graphics as well. It's pretty easy to do - just drop an audio track in, zoom in to place track breaks, label, drag/drop graphics, and export. Can't remember if this is free or part of iLife, also not sure if it will export .wavs if you are opting for more of a mix cd rather than a podcast.
-Hamish

Interesting. I wonder if you can do that in Logic.

I think that’s great for a podcast but if you’re playing a single track with breaks in iTunes and hit forward will it go to the break or the next track? I’m not talking about in idevices.

But also if I want to just play, burn, or create playlists of different tracks within that mix it won’t work if it’s 1 file.
not sure how it works in iTunes... I typically only fire up iTunes to put something on my iPod. I know that on Soundcloud it displays like a single track, w/out breaks. Definitely not your best option if you want to mix/match tracks later, I was thinking DJ set more than gig :wink:
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:30 pm

So I used Waveburner and got the result I wanted. I did zero research and it wasn’t as straight forward and obvious as I was hoping. I was able to place and adjust track markers without issue. I couldn’t find a place to put artist name and album title, but I was able to enter the track names. But I also couldn’t figure out how to just save the tracks to the desktop so I burned them to CD. But when I ripped that CD in iTunes there was no tagging info, just the Track 1, Track 2, etc. So I had to manually enter all that. No biggie I guess. I got what I wanted.

It also made me realize how great it will be to use on a track I have that is a little lofty in length but has a substantial breakdown and fade to silence in the middle that I could just make into a part 1 and 2 of the same song. I thought I was going to have to do separate mixes. I’ll just drop it in Waveburner and do a split.

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:42 pm

Any time, you're welcome...
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:52 am

Wavelab
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:08 am

Tone would need a PC for that...

Don't go there Anubis!