rip ravi shankar

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
aisling

rip ravi shankar

Post by aisling » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:04 pm

up there with the greats, james brown, miles davis, the beatles, and jimi hendrix...
I am so grateful to have had an open mind, ears and heart to have appreciated his musical genius.
Last edited by aisling on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

crofter

Re: rip ravi shankar

Post by crofter » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:51 pm

Very sad indeed
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:51 pm

I saw him perform a few years ago with his daughter Anoushka. One of the best concerts I have ever seen, the interplay between the musicians was so musically intimate I found myself laughing with joy several times. Very lucky to have had the chance to see him.

aisling

Post by aisling » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:29 pm

pulsoc wrote:I saw him perform a few years ago with his daughter Anoushka. One of the best concerts I have ever seen, the interplay between the musicians was so musically intimate I found myself laughing with joy several times. Very lucky to have had the chance to see him.
I am envious, never saw him live, I could only imagine the intensity of the music, live.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:08 pm

His music was part of my life since my childhood. Probably the most memorable was his duet with Ali Akbar Khan in Calcutta- football stadium, sold out within 4 hours and private concert in Delhi, Zubin Mehta sitting just behind me, and Raviji 2 meters in front of me, probably 80% of audience were musicians and such audiences make the performers fly.
He was wonderful human being, always helpful specially in case of musicians. When I was student, my own foolishness (woman related of course) got me into deep trouble, making enemies of some incredibly influential people, it would end my career as musician before it even started. Ali Akbar Khan told me "go to my brother in law and tell him I want him to help you". Remember it like today, waiting for Raviji with the heart up my throat. He was incredibly understanding, told me what to do and did his part, which was not a small thing. I cant recall anyone ever before or after helping me like he did, he saved my life (as professional musician). Met him couple of times later @ his residence in Delhi, just chatting, listening, watching him teaching his students, it was always like meeting Music herself. Last time heard him in Madras in 90s when he was still in full performing power, so have only the most amazing memories of him. Music was not his profession, it was his way of life.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:57 pm

a long and fulfilling life, what else can you ask for? RIP

steko

Post by steko » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:25 am

Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:35 am

rikhyray wrote:His music was part of my life since my childhood...
Thanks for sharing your remarkable story.

Ravi's music will live for generations to come.

liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:33 pm

That is sad to hear. I got into him and that type of music a few years ago. It really took my perspective of what music is to an entire new level. :) Thank you for all you have done, Ravi. Rest peacefully.